>Racing>Goofy Race and a Half Challenge Race Report
Abs of Flabs
Needs more cowbell!
• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018
Roads were made for journeys...
Ooooooooooh! We get a medal for reading your report! Wow! Thanks. Very enjoyable account of your goofy challenge. Congratulations on completing both events. Amazing accomplishment. Enjoy your rest.
"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble
The Goofy challenge has always been on my must-do list (probably on most runners' lists, or should be) - although hearing all that 3:00 a.m. stuff just bumped it a couple places down the list. But still ... 2 runs, 3 medals? Who could resist?
1) The big one - are you glad you did it? Did you enjoy it? Was it worth the time and money? I read all three race reports (and enjoyed them immensely), but at the end I still wasn't sure what your overall impression was.
3) Why the early start times? Was that just not to mess with the park visitors? Were the parks actually open during the run?
2) Were things really as disorganized as they sounded? I'd sort of expected a Disney race to run like clockwork. The crowding sounds like it kind of sucks.
4) And the important question - any advice or tips for future Goofy-ers? Did you run the half too hard? Do people race both runs? Is it even worth pushing hard, or should you just take your time and check out the scenery?
If you got more questions, just ask away.
cell phone addicts
A most excellent report, MC! Although I had to block out time for lunch, dinner, a run, shower, etc while reading your report (just kidding, of course), it was well worth the read. Congrats on a noteworthy accomplishment! I'm envious.
Here is my question. I was put into Coral H (back of the line) and it took 28 minutes to get to the start line. It wasn't until mile 9 that I could actually "run". Is it OK to size up the crowd and go into the coral that contains more people that look like runners and less people that look like walkers/cell phone addicts/ cartoon characters/ and party revelers??
People who talk on a cell phone while running should be shot. People who talk on a cell phone while running a RACE should be shot twice, brought back to life, and then shot a few more times, while their cell phone is inserted into the most uncomfortably body cavity available.
So it sounds like from both of you (correct me if I'm wrong) that judged just as races, the Disney runs aren't so great? But that it's worth doing for the medals and the photo-ops?
I guess the question is - if you'd already run a marathon in Florida, and the medal wasn't so impressive ... would you bother with Disney?
How did you end up in Coral H? I provided them with my best HM time and they placed me in the front of the first corral. Granted I didn't go there because I wanted to run with my friends, but I could have. In my opinion, you should always stick to whatever corral you were assigned. In reality, many people do not obey this and we end up having to weave through them. If you found yourself in a slower corral, then it's up to you to decide what you want to do.