Improved Sub 5 Minute Mile (Read 550 times)

My son is just about to finish his last season of HS track and has a PR of 4:51 for the mile and 10:18 for the two mile, both set at the end of last track season. Although he has continued to run well this season, and is close to doing so, he has not hit/improved his PR in either the mile or 2 mile race this year. Understanding there are many stresses that go along w/ the senior year, not the least of which is getting ready to leave home for college, anyone have any ideas on how to push through the barriers to the next level? Thanks
      Running.... lots and lots of it. And lots of easy runing. All summer, through XC season even if he has to do extra running from what the coach has them doing, and through track season right up until a goal race. Doubles, 2, 3 at the most, fast sessions a week until the season. 2 with a couple strides at the end of a couple easy workouts as well is best for me. Not what I'm doing now, but what's best for me. Wink This Thread has a lot of info about what you're trying to do. The Summer of Malmo link is right here. Very good for young competitive or want-to-be-competitive runners, just remember that easy stuff is easy, hard stuff is hard.
      Mr R

I'm sure that your son will improve over the next year, but one thing that he should realize is that there are no distance events in high school track. Even the 3200 is solidly middle distance. As you get faster, chipping time off of your mile becomes very difficult. What many runners find is that they can drop a few seconds, but running flat out starts to feel easier, because the differential between their threshold and their max speed is smaller than it used to be. That said, strength is still the best way to go, especially without losing touch with pure speed (100s and 200s, faster than race pace, full recovery, EVERY WEEK or more often). Lots of mileage is important. For milers, it's generally better to run a bit faster, but to cut the runs up into shorter doubles. Ideally, when the track season begins, you want to be close to your PR from last season, except without the benefit of sharpening. Then it's mostly up to your coach to mix the workouts properly. In season, mileage should be around 60-70% of your high from the fall (depending on how high you went), because you don't want your legs to be tired for your track sessions. Weekend long runs can be a bit shorter and slower than they would be for cross season. Again, this is for the purpose of keeping fresh legs for track workouts. A final word about mile workouts: it's important to know when you're supposed to really hurt yourself. A hard mile workout can be truly excruciating, and it's important to practice running hard and fast when you're that tired. However, those kind of workouts can really break you down if you do them all the time. The coach should be communicating which workouts should feel controlled, and which workouts should be really painful. My reference point has always been facial muscles. In really hard workouts, all of my face contorts against my will, almost spasming, and there's nothing I can do to stop it. In medium-hard workouts, I start to fill twinges in those muscles, just as I'm finishing. As your son gains experience, he'll learn to read his own body cues accurately like that. One final possibility is that he has a faster time in his legs, but hasn't gotten in the right race. Sometimes PRs can be big mental barriers. It helps to have a faster runner pace you to a PR. Once you've run a time, it's much easier to keep running it.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Thanks very much to both of you for taking time to respond, I/we really appreciate it!
            Update: today (Saturday, Japan time), my son participated in his next to last HS track meet. He ended up finishing the 3200 in 10:21 (close to his PR) and 4:45 in the 1600 (beating his PR). He hopes to beat his PR in the 3200 next weekend. I think watching the film "Without Limits" that chronicals Steve Prefontaine's life helped motivate him!