Long Run Route (Read 974 times)

Mostly just curious....how do most people find a route for your weekly long run? Do you just run an out-and-back, going a little farther out each week? Or do you do one large loop, and figure out how to make it larger each week? Or multiple loops?
      Yes to all of your suggestions. I started out with an out and back. But I do all of these to mix it up and keep the routes more interesting. Variety is the spice of life - and running.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Mostly just curious....how do most people find a route for your weekly long run? Do you just run an out-and-back, going a little farther out each week? Or do you do one large loop, and figure out how to make it larger each week? Or multiple loops?
        Sometimes I will map out a route here on the website that is the distance I'm looking for. If I'm feeling a little sketchy that day like I might need more water or something, I'll make the route pass back by my house then go in the opposite direction from there. Since I got my Garmin it makes the long runs way easier. I can go into areas that I've never been before and change my route as I go, keeping an eye on my distance so I have a basic idea when to head back toward my house.
          Oh, and I avoid multiple loops at all cost. If I want multiple loops I'll go run on a track.
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

The longer I do this, the more important it is for me to mix things up. Out anbd backs, random routes (love that Garmin), big loops, you name it. I've got some favorite routes, but even they get old and set to the backburner for a while. Like most others, not a fan of multiple loops, but they have their place. If the weather is harsh (any extreme) it pays to always be close to base in case things start going wrong.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I try to create loops that go near places where I could use the restroom if needed. My favorite four-mile loop during high school went right by the hospital at about the two mile mark. Ah, sweet relief!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I try to create loops that go near places where I could use the restroom if needed. My favorite four-mile loop during high school went right by the hospital at about the two mile mark. Ah, sweet relief!
                Jeff doesn't like to blow mud, ya' know... Dead In the Summer my routes vary a lot more, but this time of the year I am limited to roads (I miss our paved rail trails and sidewalks, but now they are unplowed and the domain of snowmobiles). My long runs are mostly the same 10 mile loop. I will add an additional mile or so if time and comfort permits.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff doesn't like to blow mud, ya' know... Dead
                  I have no problem with blowing mud per se; I just prefer not to do it in my shorts. Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have no problem with blowing mud per se; I just prefer not to do it in my shorts. Clowning around
                    That's what coffee's for...90-120 minutes before any run. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

...---...

Oh, and I avoid multiple loops at all cost. If I want multiple loops I'll go run on a track.
                      Not me - I'll do multiple loops in spring and summer around the local University pool all day long Big grin

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Teresadfp

One day at a time

My longest run so far is only 6.5 miles, so I'm still learning! I've found a few subdivisions close to my house that are good for running in during the winter. The main rural road in our area has too much snow on it right now, so there are no shoulders! Sometimes my little street is so icy I don't even want to wallk or run with YakTrax down it. So a few weeks ago, I parked my car at the end of the road, left the keys in it, and took off. While I was gone, DS 12 got off the school bus, saw the car, and locked it when he couldn't figure out why it was there! I couldn't really get upset at him, because he was just trying to be responsible. At least I managed to walk home without killing myself. Why is it my kids have no trouble getting down the street?? I see them running or skipping along it like it's bare pavement.
                        dfffff

I change it every week. Last week I did one big 14 mile loop. The week before I did 3 separate loops in succession. I usually just run a few places that I know will get me to some appreciable distance then i tend to add on whatever I feel like once I get close to my starting point.
                          jeffdonahue

I usually have a set amount of miles I want to cover for a long run so I will map it out dependign on how I am feeling. When you map it ahead of time you can look at elevation if you want to avoid or make sure you hit some hills.

I've run so often near where I live that I generally know how long it is going to take me to run something by just adding loops together (note that I don't do the same loop, just add different shorter runs together.) Whenever possible, I join others for long runs in other towns, and have 10, 15, 18 and 20 mile loops from all the neighboring areas. Sometimes I'll look at the scale on a map, look at where the streets come together, figure that's about right, and will figure out how long I ran after the fact. I'm pretty good at turning a map I looked at for a minute or two into actual directions while I'm on the road. Worst case scenario, I'll just go out and get myself lost. I have a good sense of direction so finding my way back home or to a car isn't too tough. Whenever I move, I inevitably do this to find my way around my new home. One of these days, I'll figure out how to download a map from motion based onto the garmin and will let it tell me when to turn and such. That seems cool, but haven't really had much chance to do it lately given the whole crappy roads and such. Most of my long runs these days are mostly out and backs on the trails since I prefer not to break ground through fresh snow. It's easier to let the snowmobilers do it for me first.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Most of my long runs are out and back along the parkway which is at least 30 mile long. My long runs are 10 miles or more and last week I ran 8 out and 8 back for 16 total. In the past I have run 10 mile loops. I much prefer the loops but for placing water and sports drink the out and back is just easier as you have half the drop points. as for finding a route... I use mapmyrun to test the distance of routes I am thinking of running. I like the website because it has a follow roads feature that makes the mapping much easier.