100 push-ups/200 sit-ups (Read 6167 times)

I was an average 800-1500 runner. That highlight was tossing the shot put for a point at a small meet. If it didn't conflict with my events the coach would let me throw it for "fun." 

I was an average 400/800 guy, but the coach would use me in all kinds of ways. Every so often he'd decide to stack the 4x100 weight relay to earn a couple points. Since we only had one good thrower, I'd end up throwing shot or disc. Never got the hang of the discus, but shot was fun. Well, once somebody told me that I had to exit the circle from the back, it was fun. I couldn't figure out how I kept scratching Smile

Set a school record that day Smile

xhristopher

I was an average 400/800 guy, but the coach would use me in all kinds of ways. Every so often he'd decide to stack the 4x100 weight relay to earn a couple points. Since we only had one good thrower, I'd end up throwing shot or disc. Never got the hang of the discus, but shot was fun. Well, once somebody told me that I had to exit the circle from the back, it was fun. I couldn't figure out how I kept scratching Smile

Set a school record that day Smile

Truth be told I sucked badly at shot put and was just having fun. What really sucked is when my coach made me run a leg of the 4x400 because somebody flunked out or whatever for the week. Considering most of our sprinters were either on the football and/or basketball teams I expect half of them could probably toss the shot pretty well if they cared.

SMART Approach

Nobody can do 100 pushups.

Are you kidding on this? All I needed in 9th grade is a couple cute girls to impress and generally could push out 100-105 brisk but good push ups. My 2 blonde neighbors got to see this quite a bit. Ahhhh, I still couldn't hook up with them. It got to be a habit as everyone would challenge me though.  In 9th grade  I was 135#. Now at 180# I can do 58-62 depending on day. Situps my best to failure was 61 in a minute. Now, maybe 45 and hurting!!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

dennrunner

Are you kidding on this? All I needed in 9th grade is a couple cute girls to impress and generally could push out 100-105 brisk but good push ups. My 2 blonde neighbors got to see this quite a bit. Ahhhh, I still couldn't hook up with them. It got to be a habit as everyone would challenge me though.  In 9th grade  I was 135#. Now at 180# I can do 58-62 depending on day. Situps my best to failure was 61 in a minute. Now, maybe 45 and hurting!!!

I think he meant to say:  Nobody can eat 50 eggs.

MTA:  Better?

Feeling the growl again

Ah to be young again.  Back in the day 100 pushups was nothing.  In college when I actually had time to lift weights I can remember my coach getting mad at me before a hard workout because he walked into the hall and I was doing pushups with one of the 110-ish lb girls sitting on my shoulders.

Now?  Heh.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Has anyone tried the 100 push-up or 200 sit-up challenges? Do these plans make any sense? Are they worth while?

I have no fitness equipment, and want to add some simple core strength training to my routine following my marathon later this month.

Thanks.

I gradually increased # of pushups... I did 100 pushups, well technically one set of 60 followed by one set of 40, and when I ran my arms started staying in that pushup position, weird looking and awkward. I gave that up.

Functional strength exercises worked much better--excersises done in the motion you will be using in running, or making muscles at least work in the same direction... holding weights and pumping arms, step-ups while tightening abs, one legged planks...

KC born 7-14-13. RC born 7-21-15

Old PR's: 5k 19:36, 10mi 1:07:46, HM 1:30:04, M 3:06:19

Working on a Comeback after baby #2

Nobody can do 100 pushups.

Chuck Norris can, using only his beard

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

DB can do the last 20 faster than anyone.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Michael Phelps can.... in bong water.

TedsHead

Team Me, Myself & I

I found Ted's video.  He's the only one we gave credit to for completing the 100.  The hard part was our rules stated no pauses or form breaks.  I watched my video again and my form sucked.

Hey, I'm still here...lurking never posting.

That video has been up on YouTube for over a year and really has only had good comments (maybe until now).

I'm as old as most of you and I did them.  yes they are boring when you start hitting the plateaus and it does take longer than the program says, but if it were easy anyone of you monkeys could do it.

Of course, I can't run worth a damn.  But I did finish a marathon (injured  - so how hard can that be).  Or did I technically do a marathon, you know one run of 20mi and another of 6.2mi

AP, Wingz was the owner and she deleted it, I never would have deleted it.

JoeM, I said at the end of the video I wanted to do them quicker - but there was no official time limit and I never stopped.  I just wanted to do them in 2 minutes and it took about 2:30.  I went down about 2in off the floor (D size battery), so that my arms were at 90 degrees and made sure I went back all the way up with straight elbows.

Overall the program isn't worth doing, because most people will give up, especially if they are starting with less than 40 pushups.

I would do what MrH suggests, and if you are feeling lucky, give it a shot before the holidays. 

Variety is a good thing.

If anyone wants to start the forum again, I'll join.

TedsHead

Team Me, Myself & I

I just clinked on the video link in Protos comment and that isn't the right video, I did another video/attemp the next day, it is better.

Not sure if the link below is gonna work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoCKHx8Yyj4

I remember while in college many, many yrs ago & after running up in the old logging roads/Redwood forests behind campus would finish on the track circling the football field.  I would do that many pushups/situps with no stop on the grass.  I did not know that there were some students, including some girls from a jogging class that would watch my final laps & the pushup/situps.  I also did not know that later I was in a jogging class with one very cute redhead. Did not run with her group & it turns out that I met her through a mutual friend the next year, although at the time did not really remember her much from the class.  2 yrs later  that cute little redhead became my wife!!

2nd part of that story is that her roomates all were leaving for the summer & she was at apt. by herself.  She later told me that she had been praying for a new friend since her roomates would all be gone.  We spent almost every day (but not the nights) together that summer & 26+ yrs later still together.

not sure why I shared that 

xhristopher

Push-ups make you light headed.

protoplasm72

I just clinked on the video link in Protos comment and that isn't the right video, I did another video/attemp the next day, it is better.

Not sure if the link below is gonna work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoCKHx8Yyj4

My bad.  Even your failure looked pretty good.

Did you keep up with the pushups?  I think I'm back to about where I was when I started that program.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Cool as a Cucumber

How did people feel that pushups helped their running?

I did the 100 pushups challenge in high school. I got to about 92 before I stopped for some reason. I could also do 27 dead-hang pullups, and at 6'2", I was pretty big on the starting line during track and XC. I'm convinced my extra size helped intimidate other people and stop them from passing me, but I don't think I gained a big advantage. I like to pretend the extra momentum was helpful during the kick.

I stopped doing pushups and pullups during the championship season. In a heartbeat I lost about 7lbs, which I guess is the reason I then PR'd by about 8 seconds in the mile for a 4:48. I think that was the only real benefit, though it's pretty neat being forty pounds heavier than everyone else on the line and about 4-6" taller.

The pavement fears me.