Columbus Marathon (Read 702 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Well I won't go too long with this message but this thing I did today I am chaulking up to a 26.2 training run. I felt better at the end of the run then my other two Marathons but my time was way off what I was expecting. I really felt like I hit a wall at mile 13 and wanted to just head off with the half marathoners. Somehow I got passed the wall though and still finished. It makes sense though since I have not had a good run in a month in a half. I think I might have peaked to early for this thing during my training. Anyway, seriously considering the Philly marathon. The race was nice and I thought very well organized. They seemed to have plenty of water stations and the course was relatively flat. Decent amount of spectators. I felt good that I just finished this thing and got my medal. However, I really don't care for the medal. The first thing my daughter says when she saw it was "What is that hole in the middle for?" Did anyone see the girl in the tutu? If you did I am sure you know why I am asking. People will do the craziest things to get attention. Final thought: I give major props to anyone that finishes a Marathon especially the longer it takes them. It is amazing what drives us to do such a stupid thing. Why I am even thinking of doing Philly is beyond me. I guess it is unfinished business. I just hope to someday finish feeling like I do after my 20 mile runs.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Another Passion

Head up, Bearcat... you finished a 26.2 FREAKING MILE RACE!! To that I say... WELL DONE! Especially considering how poorly you say you felt at the halfway point! Good job, my friend! Big grin

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

It is amazing what drives us to do such a stupid thing. Why I am even thinking of doing Philly is beyond me. I guess it is unfinished business. I just hope to someday finish feeling like I do after my 20 mile runs.
        It really is amazing, but it would be even more amazing if you could actually finish a marathon feeling like you do after a 20 mile training run.
          Somehow I got passed the wall though and still finished.
          Mission accomplished.
          I give major props to anyone that finishes a Marathon especially the longer it takes them.
          Right back at ya, well done.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I think part of the problem is that I had the option sort of to do that with the 13.1. However, when I hit mile 18 I was thinking if I could just find a medic that I might take that option. Then after that didn't look like it was going to happen I started thinking that I had no clue how to get back any other way then follow everyone else so I just kept running. Did anyone else feel it was a little warm today, excluding of course any of the people who might have run the Chicago. I think I already know the answer to that one.
              2011 Goals:
              Congrats on finishing, Bearcat. What did you end up finishing in?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Lazy idiot

Did anyone else feel it was a little warm today, excluding of course any of the people who might have run the Chicago. I think I already know the answer to that one.
                One man's opinion... the weather yesterday was perfect. Low 50's at the start, warming to low-mid 60's by 10-11. I couldn't have asked for better weather, personally. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy yourself as much as you'd hoped, Bearcat. But you still deserve congratulations for doing well. Enjoy every experience as though it were your last, and I think you'll have a much better time. Wink

Tick tock

Dog-Love

I don't know what time you were trying to finish in but the fact that you felt done at mile 13, kept going and finished in just over 4 hours is a sign that you know how to HTFU and get the job done. Way to go!
                  Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Thanks. I do think it is an awesome accomplishment just to finish. It just sucks knowing that you can run so much better but your body just was not up for it on race day. Such is life. I just have to figure out where to go from here.
                      2011 Goals:

Go Pre!

One man's opinion... the weather yesterday was perfect. Low 50's at the start, warming to low-mid 60's by 10-11. I couldn't have asked for better weather, personally.
                      The first half was perfect weather but by 10:00 it was 70 not 60's and by 11 it was 75 which although bearable, it made hitting the wall rough. Miles 20 - 26 made for the toughest 45 minutes of my life. Dave

Lazy idiot

The first half was perfect weather but by 10:00 it was 70 not 60's and by 11 it was 75 which although bearable, it made hitting the wall rough. Miles 20 - 26 made for the toughest 45 minutes of my life. Dave
                        I stand corrected. By the time I went to check, I couldn't find the specific temps at the time. I didn't think it felt 70, but then I was also done by that point in time. Kudos to you guys who did the full and made it through. Way to HTFU.

Tick tock

Awesome job, Bearcat. It was a tough run, and you did awesome...
                            Hey, you ran 26.2 miles .... that's a helluva lot more than most people ever even THINK about!
                            2009: BQ?
                            RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Thanks folks. It is amazing just to be able to say you've run a marathon. I get that and I try not to take that for granted. It is hard to put in words though of thinking you are making big progress with your hard work and then slip to be 18 minutes slower from your previous marathon on an easier course. I really can't understand how I ended up 30 minutes off of what I was expecting to run. I really put my time of 3:40 as a conservative number and was hoping to finish strong. I did 6 freaking runs of 20 miles or more and none of them were close to being this slow. I think I am just very disappointed right now. I wish I could pinpoint what went wrong but I honestly have no clue. I'm trying to re-evaluate what I am going to do. I think I would like to do a half marathon in the next couple of months to see if that might bring up my desire for running, which is currently at an all time low.
                                2011 Goals: