2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

kcam

Geo

Give it a good go (don't worry about PRs), it will give you a stake in the ground to begin measuring your progress towards a sub-3.  Make sure you come into Sunday with rested legs. 

Jim and I will drive up and park at the Ocean Beach parking lot then jog the 3 miles to the start as warmup.  Did you get your bib in the mail or do you have to pick it up?  You're welcome to jog over with us if you want.

Ken, good suggestion.  In this case, I am going to use the race prep week in a half marathon training plan for this week's training, to give my legs a little rest.

Not sure if I will be able to jog 3 miles before the race.  I think I did about 2 miles last time before RNR.  I will let you guys know soon.

BTW, the Kaiser 1/2 is sold out for the 1st time.  It is unbelievable.

Geo

Give it a good go (don't worry about PRs), it will give you a stake in the ground to begin measuring your progress towards a sub-3.  Make sure you come into Sunday with rested legs. 

Jim and I will drive up and park at the Ocean Beach parking lot then jog the 3 miles to the start as warmup.  Did you get your bib in the mail or do you have to pick it up?  You're welcome to jog over with us if you want.

bhearn

By the way, I had a 10k PR of only one second faster (38:39) last year and then ran Chicago in 2:58. So consider yourself on track for sub-3, without a doubt! Take heart knowing you could have run even faster on Saturday with better conditions and rest.

And I ran a 38:44 (PR) on a fast course in good conditions 3 weeks before running Boston in 2:59:38 last year.

I ran 38:49 2 weeks before Boston and ran 2:58, I ran a 38:17 four weeks before Chicago and ran 2:55....
          Ger

posted: 02/02/2010 at 3:30 PM

Ger, that 61:22 10miler is outstanding.  Congratulations on such a big PR.  FYI, that time equates out to a potential 2:51 and change marathon.  I did a 62:53 10miler a couple of weeks ago and my confidence is sky hi for a sub-3 at Boston in April, if I were you I'd be trying to hit sub-2:50. 

Also, the discussion has moved over to 2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon

Ger

posted: 02/02/2010 at 4:28 PM

Thanks for that Ken, yes everything points to a good sub 3, but last year I hit a 10K in 37m30s, 10 miles in 63 Min and 2 halves, one in 1hr 22m 29s and one in 1 hr 22m 45s and only ended up with a 3hr 7m 48s marathon. My training must have been wrong. This year I an going to stick with pfitzingers 55-70 mile plan.

What's your training been like, I have the confidence that I have the ability but missing it through the wrong training hurts.

I have no doubt you will get it.

Its my ultimate goal in running.

DoppleBock

Ger - I agree - Great 10 mile time

I have you down for Dublin Marathon in October

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Purdey

Self anointed title

DB - nice to see you running again.  How does it feel now.

I'm starting to ramp up a bit of mileage now folks.  Also hoping / trying desperately to put a tiny bit of quality in there too!

Goal remains sub 2:50 in the Brighton Marathon in April.  Have a 10 miler 6 weeks before the sub 2:50 attempt - goal will be 59:00.  Would that be a representative time?  No suitable 1/2m within easy distance on suitable dates... so it'll have to just be the 10.

Have been racing a bit of XC, think I've got about 3 or 4 races left before the end of the season.  Hoping that will have given me a bit of strength.

Goal remains sub 2:50 in the Brighton Marathon in April.  Have a 10 miler 6 weeks before the sub 2:50 attempt - goal will be 59:00.  Would that be a representative time?  No suitable 1/2m within easy distance on suitable dates... so it'll have to just be the 10.

There are some folks who believe the 10K is the perfect race measure for marathon performance.  Although I personally prefer a 1/2 marathon if available, I think a 10 miler would be a good gauge for an experienced runner like you.  If the question was posed by a first time marathoner and new runner, I think the answer would probably be different...

Purdey

Self anointed title

There are some folks who believe the 10K is the perfect race measure for marathon performance.  Although I personally prefer a 1/2 marathon if available, I think a 10 miler would be a good gauge for an experienced runner like you.  If the question was posed by a first time marathoner and new runner, I think the answer would probably be different...

Would the answer be 10k or 1/2m?  I guess 1/2m.

Indeed the 59 minute 10 mile would be a comparative performance to sub-2:50. My opinion is that 6 weeks out is ideal for such a tune up. Also favor ten miles over the HM as easier to recover from and continue training.

I'm curious, I see you've been running XC recently but do you have any performances to support your sub 2:50 and 59:00 goals? Looking at your PRs, I'd expect to see some intermediate distances (5km, 8km, 10km) at that 5:54 pace  or better.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I'm curious, I see you've been running XC recently but do you have any performances to support your sub 2:50 and 59:00 goals? Looking at your PRs, I'd expect to see some intermediate distances (5km, 8km, 10km) at that 5:54 pace  or better.

My PRs are soft and out of date. 

Do I have any race performances to support a 2:50 or a 59?  No.  Just a determination to do it.

Fancy a bet?

Would the answer be 10k or 1/2m?  I guess 1/2m.

Yes, I'd say 1/2 marathon for a novice.  Good luck with the marathon, if you are running the same amount of miles you were doing for for the 24 race and throw in some good speed training, I have no doubt you'll run a sub 2:50...

My PRs are soft and out of date. 

Do I have any race performances to support a 2:50 or a 59?  No.  Just a determination to do it.

Fancy a bet?

Tempting, but not my inclination. Plus, I wouldn't want to root against you.

I look forward to watching you crush your soft PRs this year.

I would think a time around 1:00:30-1:00:45 for 10 miles would be a good indicator for a sub-2:50 performance.

Right on Hereford...

Indeed the 59 minute 10 mile would be a comparative performance to sub-2:50.

10 mi. 

Marathon

Daniels' VDOT  59:00  2:44:41
                                 McMillan  59:00  2:45:15