2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

If anyone is planning to register for Boston. Registration is open. In 18 minutes 1,080 people have registered already.

The shirtless wonder

If anyone is planning to register for Boston. Registration is open. In 18 minutes 1,080 people have registered already.

How did you find out how many have registered?  Are you the dcv2002 that posted the life saving link at Runner's World Forums?  If so myself and many people from RunningAHEAD owe you.

Yes I am the "same". Not a very common username I would think. The number of people registered is simply the highest current confirmation #. Theres a thread over on RWOL. Getting close to 4000 now. Seems to still be a lot of people having problems. Even on twitter and letsrun. Though I feel it will calm down and will not sell out today.

The shirtless wonder

Yes I am the "same". Not a very common username I would think. The number of people registered is simply the highest current confirmation #. Theres a thread over on RWOL. Getting close to 4000 now. Seems to still be a lot of people having problems. Even on twitter and letsrun. Though I feel it will calm down and will not sell out today.

I see dcv2002 all the timeWink

mikeymike

Alright quick update on my race:

I thought Thunder had me beat when he put in a surge around mile 14.  He put a good sized gap on me, maybe 80 meters at its longest, between there and 17.  At that point he stopped getting farther away but I didn't think he was getting closer.

I just told myself to not look at him and run my race, that's all I could do at that point.  We had gone through half at 1:23:45 as Thunder said and I wasn't sure I'd be able to come back in that, so picking it up wasn't an option at that point unless I wanted a massive blow up, so I just focussed on the effort and tried to ignore Thunder up the road.

But at the Tyngsboroug bridge I thought it seemed like he was coming back, just a tiny bit.  At 19 miles it was clear the gap had shrunk a lot.  I thought I'd catch him at this point but I thought he looked pretty strong--he was laboring but shit so was I and everybody else at that point, it was 19 miles into a marathon.

Around 20 I caught up to Thunder and said, "Thanks for waiting for me dude."  He gave me some encouraging words and I said, "you have a massive PR effort going, keep fighting" but it was clear he was really laboring by that point.

I pulled away a bit and could hear his footsteps for a while but then they disappeared.  I got passed a few times in the last 3 miles, I was struggling, and every time I thought for a second it might be Thunder--I wasn't sure if I wanted it to be him or not at that point I was so hurting.  I fought my way through the last few miles, legs were seizing up.  I dealt with a hamstring that was grabbing and getting tighter from 8 miles on and the last few miles were really brutal.   Somehow I hung on for sub 2:50 (barely) in 2:49:56.

The flight to Vegas was one of the most painful of my life as my searing hamstring felt like it had a knife in it.

In retrospect the first half in 1:23:45 was just a tiny bit too fast.  It was perfect for 2:47:30, which was my posted goal, but apparently I wasn't ready for 2:47:30.  It was worth a shot, I guess.  I possibly could have gone out in 1:24:30 and maybe squeaked out a tiny PR, but that wasn't the goal.

In the end I'm happy with how I hung on--it was my 2nd fastest marathon and 2nd sub 2:50, missed a PR by about 40 seconds.  I can live with the result.  I wish Thunder had had a better race but he learned some valuable lessons out there and he will be back.

I said before the race that this was my last marathon and right now I still feel like that.  But we'll see.  It's my last one for a long while, that's for sure.  I'm excited to focus on the 5k and other distances next year.  And I'm looking forward to some recovery time now.

Congrats to Jeff on a nice PR and good work by spaniel to grind it out when things weren't going well.  That's the thing about the marathon, you just never know.

Runners run

flovesparko

Way to go Mikeymike, very impressive time!!!!

kcam

Nice race and report, mikeymike.    Congrats to the Baystate and Indy RA guys, lots of good results this weekend.

Are we there yet?

this forum is full of studs!!

way to go guys and thanks for inspiring greatness..

Spaniel, tell everyone you had a bad race with a time of 2:45, see what they say.  Awesome job dude!

Nice Mikey!  The race that doesn't exactly go your way, but still ends up an impressive time is always bittersweet.  2:49.... Enjoy it!

Jeff, where is the race report???  2:35?  Holy shit!  Nice job man!

Thunder, I expect a sub 3 at the monkey, that is all there is too it.

Whatever

Why is it sideways?

The race report is coming, soon. Busy week at work, catching up! I'm happy though with my run.

DoppleBock

Congrats 

2:57:59 at Mount Desert Island Marathon. Awesome day. Wheels sure fell off at 6 miles to go.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I have tried to get everything up to date

If I am missing a race for a sub 3:00 please let me know

If I am missing a result for a sub 3:00 attempt ... Ditto

As far as who takes the 2011 thread ... To take the 2010 thread I just made a new one - You do not need my permission

I would suggest immediately posting 3-4 posts so you can occupy the start of the thread for

1)  Attempt list

2)  Results list

3)  Who is up next

4)  A spare on in case you have other ideas.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Well, 8 days to go and feeling antsy. I forgot what tapering feels like and second guessing my fitness. My 1:19 1/2 last month should put me there but I feel like Im struggling the last few workouts. Hope it comes together on race day
                              2010 Goals 3000 Miles 1/2 Marathon-Sub 1:20:00 Marathon-Sub 3:00

Well, 8 days to go and feeling antsy. I forgot what tapering feels like and second guessing my fitness. My 1:19 1/2 last month should put me there but I feel like Im struggling the last few workouts. Hope it comes together on race day

Yep. That's tapering! By the sounds of the things I highlighted above in your post, you are feeling exactly like I do every single time I run a marathon. With a 1:19 half under your belt and solid training, you are gonna rock it out. Hang in there!