2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Up Next 

Bdub - 11/21/10 HHFMM - Oz, TN

I grew too content with life.  That paved the way for laziness which laid a strong foundation on which to build fattiness.  Approximately 25 pounds heavier and 70 minutes slower than last HHFMM.  I shouldn't have started, am pleased with my finish, and might even train for the next one. 

Congratulations to everyone who has achieved it and good luck to all who are still trying.

Not a bad run at all Mint.  I read your report and, hey, ankle problems will def slow you down.  Pretty dam good pacing there - the biggest outlier was the 6:45 mile; the dark miles (20-end) you didn't slow down at all.  Good going.  Something to build on.

Thanks Ken

DoppleBock

3:17:16

Lots of crap in my story too - But reality = I ran an all out effort and it was like a bad dream - I only looked at my watch 4 or 5 times and I kept thinking: "Really??  I am running as hard as possible and I am that slow"  Pulled a 1:38 / 1:39 ish 1st and 2nd half - battled to the end for a 8 minute personal worst.

I also got my ass kicked by A1 and he gets the tie breaker for the total time of the 2 races. 

I grew too content with life.  That paved the way for laziness which laid a strong foundation on which to build fattiness.  Approximately 25 pounds heavier and 70 minutes slower than last HHFMM.  I shouldn't have started, am pleased with my finish, and might even train for the next one. 

Congratulations to everyone who has achieved it and good luck to all who are still trying.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Allen Fletcher - 12/05/10 California International Marathon - Sacremento, CA

kencamet - 12/05/10 California International Marathon - Sacremento, CA

Almost show time - How goes the battle?

The shirtless wonder

DB - how did the ankle hold up?

My last race was like yours -- I was giving it everything I had but the numbers on my watch made me upset.

kcam

Almost show time - How goes the battle?

Quint - 12/11/10 Rehoboth Marathon, Rehoboth Beach, DE
              amcneice - TBD - Postponed until another year

Allen, myself and then Quint for the win!

I haven't heard from Allen for awhile, hope to see him at CIM.

My training has gone very well (unfortunately I have no excuses to offer in case I fail - but I'm sure I'll think of a few!).   I've taken a different approach to training for CIM, did a 'crash' training month (October) and have raced nearly every weekend since September.  Mostly 3 mile XC Saturday races that I used as quality workouts.  Raced a couple of 1/2 marathons including a 1:22:48 a Sunday ago.  Will race an all-out 10K this Turkey Day.  That gives me 10 days after the 10K to recover for Cal International - should be about perfect.  Now I just need some good weather to give it the ole college try.

MTA:  Forgot to mention that I also ran Silicon Valley marathon (10/30) as a training run - jogged the first 20 miles (warmup!) and then ran the last 6 as a tempo effort.  This was the first marathon I ever ran in which my quads were not killing me for 3 or 4 days.  Though I didn't run the next day I certainly could have and I resumed training normally the 2nd day afterwards.  Confidence-builder.

bhearn

My training has gone very well (unfortunately I have no excuses to offer in case I fail - but I'm sure I'll think of a few!).

Oh, but you do! Remember, there is no energy drink at CIM. So much of an excuse to fail that I won't even be there. Good luck.

My training has gone very well (unfortunately I have no excuses to offer in case I fail - but I'm sure I'll think of a few!).   I've taken a different approach to training for CIM, did a 'crash' training month (October) and have raced nearly every weekend since September.  Mostly 3 mile XC Saturday races that I used as quality workouts.  Raced a couple of 1/2 marathons including a 1:22:48 a Sunday ago.  Will race an all-out 10K this Turkey Day.  That gives me 10 days after the 10K to recover for Cal International - should be about perfect.  Now I just need some good weather to give it the ole college try.

MTA:  Forgot to mention that I also ran Silicon Valley marathon (10/30) as a training run - jogged the first 20 miles (warmup!) and then ran the last 6 as a tempo effort.  This was the first marathon I ever ran in which my quads were not killing me for 3 or 4 days.  Though I didn't run the next day I certainly could have and I resumed training normally the 2nd day afterwards.  Confidence-builder.

Congrats on the 1/2 pb ken, very very impressive!!  Good luck in a weeks time. I´m out of the rat race (both running much or working!) at the moment travelling in South America but I´ll have a peek next sunday to see how you boys get on!  I´ll have to put my name down for the 2011 thread at some point....

Are we there yet?

Good week, 2nd wk with new coach.. never had old coach, so 2nd week truly training.. ran while in Disney for the Holiday.. I guess it sort of even the playing field for the walks in the parks during the day, otherwise I would have out-walked my family thru Epcot and the others.. but running in the mornings handicapped me a bit. Key workouts.. Thurs - 5 mile tempo @ 6:17 avg pave then today.. Steady state run - 11 miles @ 6:50 avg pace Good luck to those racing!!

I'm not running CIM.  I've been taking some time off from real training.  I quit my job in July and have been just enjoying a lot of long trail runs (plus beer and BBQs afterwards....) here in beautiful California - this really is a great place to run!   I have Ok leg strength from all the hills but absolutely zero speed.  Also been playing a little soccer, not sure if that is going to help me at all.

I was planning to do Boston but got screwed with the registration fiasco, so I just ditched the whole fall training program.

I am just starting to get back into some real training with some tempos and visits to the track.  I am pretty damn slow but hope to put in an OK time at the kaiser half (superbowl sunday). Doubt I'll be matching Ken's 1:22 anytime soon though.....

Ken - good luck at CIM.  that 1:22 half was nice.  you should be ready for a big PR in Sacramento if the weather cooperates.

- the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
                      kcam

Hey Alan - long time no see!  Glad to hear you're taking advantage of the great trails we have here, hard to go wrong doing that.  My last longish run yesterday was at Shoreline/Baylands Park along the bay.  Just gorgeous - sunny but very cold which meant not very many people out and a very enjoyable run in the solitude of the wetlands.  Thanks for the well-wishes for CIM.  Hope you train and run well at Kaiser.

DoppleBock

Thanks for the update - Continue to run for the joy of running - What a good concept! 

I'm not running CIM.  I've been taking some time off from real training.  I quit my job in July and have been just enjoying a lot of long trail runs (plus beer and BBQs afterwards....) here in beautiful California - this really is a great place to run!   I have Ok leg strength from all the hills but absolutely zero speed.  Also been playing a little soccer, not sure if that is going to help me at all.

I was planning to do Boston but got screwed with the registration fiasco, so I just ditched the whole fall training program.

I am just starting to get back into some real training with some tempos and visits to the track.  I am pretty damn slow but hope to put in an OK time at the kaiser half (superbowl sunday). Doubt I'll be matching Ken's 1:22 anytime soon though.....

Ken - good luck at CIM.  that 1:22 half was nice.  you should be ready for a big PR in Sacramento if the weather cooperates.

DoppleBock

I hope the guys at Monkey have good races.  I wasn't even close.  Tough Course, bad pacing and a pretty warm day and I struggled in wth a 3:15.

But I did end up with 1OA, since the guy I was trying to keep up with during the race stopped and started walking at about 19 miles.

You beat me ... thanks for the update

kcam

Almost done with the 2010 thread with a 2:54:08 at CIM.  Good race, held 6:36 pace to about 19 then tailed off to 6:40's to the end.  Almost ideal weather (I would have preferred about 5 to 10 deg colder).  Happy.

Over to you, Quint.  Best wishes!

Almost done with the 2010 thread with a 2:54:08 at CIM.  Good race, held 6:36 pace to about 19 then tailed off to 6:40's to the end.  Almost ideal weather (I would have preferred about 5 to 10 deg colder).  Happy.

Over to you, Quint.  Best wishes!

Very nice Ken,

Congrats!