2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

flovesparko

Almost done with the 2010 thread with a 2:54:08 at CIM.  Good race, held 6:36 pace to about 19 then tailed off to 6:40's to the end.  Almost ideal weather (I would have preferred about 5 to 10 deg colder).  Happy.

Over to you, Quint.  Best wishes!

Great job Ken!!!!!   Please tell me what you thought of the course?  Is it a fast course, all downhill???   

Are we there yet?

Great PR Ken!!!

Way to go, Ken. Sweet splits. That had to feel great.

Congrats, Ken, nice work!

Runners run

Great job Ken!

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Nice Ken! 

Almost done with the 2010 thread with a 2:54:08 at CIM.  Good race, held 6:36 pace to about 19 then tailed off to 6:40's to the end.  Almost ideal weather (I would have preferred about 5 to 10 deg colder).  Happy.

kcam

Great job Ken!!!!!   Please tell me what you thought of the course?  Is it a fast course, all downhill???   

The first 20 miles are rolling hills set against a net elevation drop.  Seems like most of the descent occurs in the first 5 miles and after that a lot of rollers till it flattens out at 20.  You definitely have to hold back a lot on the first 20 miles to be in position to run a good 10K on the flats.  Reminds me of how you have to run Boston - don't let yourself be destroyed in the first part of the race only to end up with trashed quads for the final flat portion into Sacramento.  My 1/2 split was 1:26 and there were many people near me in finish time with 1/2 splits of 1:19 and 1:20!  If you run it don't do that!

Thanks everyone, I did work hard for this one and it was nice to have everything come together: training, mind & body, weather, course and get a nice result.

MTA:  My wife took this shot of L St at about mile 25.5.  The state capitol building (finish right in front of) is located to the right of the palm trees.  From here you run towards the camera another 1/2 mile then a left hand turn and another left to the finish.  Just thought this was a serene photo of the course before the crowds and runners flooded the area (time was ~8AM when I was probably around mile 9).  What a glorious day, sun shining through the tule fog!

One more of the family fun-run 2.62 run, take a bit before the first one: 

The shirtless wonder

Beautiful pictures and an amazing race!

Ken,

Congrats on a very successful sub-3 run at CIM!

Everyone here knew you were going to do it right...

John

Awesome run Ken!  You are a marathon machine - how many sub threes in a row is that? (Discounting your recent training pace marathon)

Giving it a shot tomorrow.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

That's great stuff Ken, I agree with Roth Runner you're a machine.  Have a great run Quint, looking forward to your report. 

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Giving it a shot tomorrow.

Good luck Smile

L Train

Have a great run Quint, looking forward to your report. 

+ a million.  I love when people work their asses off and then put it on the line for all to see. 

Go get it, Quint!!!

John