2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Man, you people, running sub 3 is a painful pace. My plan was to run the first half w Quint then drop off, but I couldn't even last 6 miles with him. He got the sub 3, by a minute or two -- I came in really tired and sore around 3:33, with blood all over one foot - nurses washed it & wrapped it for me.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Right on Hereford...

Great job, Quint!

Are we there yet?

you da man!!! Q-daddy!

Had a good day today. Gun time:  2:57:14. Somehow, won masters too...benefits of a small race I guess. But, I'll take it  Smile.

Hope AP's foot is feeling better. His shoe was all blood soaked after the race.

Will try to give some race details later.

MTA:  Oh yeah, and thanks

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Had a good day today. Gun time:  2:57:14. Somehow, won masters too...benefits of a small race I guess. But, I'll take it  Smile.

WShockedW!!!!  Holy sh*t.  Way to roll Quint, YOU DA MAN is right!

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention to you Q, that you were way up on the first sheet of paper in the posted results. Did you make top ten? I dunno if they've posted electronically yet.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DoppleBock

Yeeehaaa - Nice, Nice, Nice! 

Almost done with the 2010 thread with a 2:54:08 at CIM.  Good race, held 6:36 pace to about 19 then tailed off to 6:40's to the end.  Almost ideal weather (I would have preferred about 5 to 10 deg colder).  Happy.

Over to you, Quint.  Best wishes!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Nice way to cap a year!

Congrats 

kcam

Congratulations, Quint!!

Big grinBig grinShocked

Just a few details. The Rehoboth Marathon was moved to December just for this year. Normally, it's in November, and pretty sure they will be moving it back to November again for next year. We lucked out yesterday and had good weather to run in for December. Around 33F at the start and hardly any wind. It's a small marathon that also has a half option. Maybe over 1,000 people in total. Nice course by the beach, mostly flat, with a few small hills in the middle, where it does about a 4 mile loop in one of the state parks. Most of the course is on asphalt with the exception of the Junction Breakwater trail, which is kinda like hard packed dirt with some gravel on top - well maintained. For such a small race, there were lots of volunteers. Water and some kind of sports drink every couple of miles. There was a National Guard unit that manned a couple miles on the course as well. The race organizers had a big heated tent set up with chairs and tables, lots of food, free beer ,and massages if you needed one.

My race was fairly uneventful. Went out a bit aggressive - didn't intend to, it just worked out that way. Kept thinking to myself that I hoped I was right, or I would pay for it later. Went into the race wondering if I could survive running around 6:52's for 26 miles, and here I was running 6:4X's most of the way, sometimes dipping into 6:3X's. Guess I forgot how much that taper with some fresh legs helps. So, I just rolled with where I was at and tried to maintain it. Grabbed water occasionally and took a couple gels.

With 10k to go, each mile seemed to get progressively more difficult. When there were 3 miles to go, I knew it was kind of like the beginning of the end. The legs were feeling pretty shot, the effort to keep going and maintain pace was difficult. Tried to keep the negative thoughts away. Kept thinking of things like:  don't trip, don't do something stupid and cramp up, keep going, only 3 miles to go - you can do that, there's a warm tent with beer and food at the end, you didn't run this far to screw up now, just keep going and don't trip because you got this. The one thought that I had the most in the last 3 miles was: dont' trip. My legs were pretty tight and felt that if I tripped at that point, that it would totally derail me. Knew the pace was slipping but wasn't a damned thing I could do about it. Thankfully, made it in o.k. and didn't trip. 

MTA:  Thanks for running this thing this year DB. Congrats to all the 2010 finishers this year. Good luck to you guys next year.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

That's awesome, Quint. Congratulations and good job closing 2010 for us on such a high note.

2010 Graduates

Jeff - 10/17/10 Bay State, Lowell, MA (<2:30) - 2:35:54

Spaniel -  10/16/10  Indianapolis Marathon, Indianapolis, IN (2:32) 2:45:17

Mikeymike- 10/17/10 Bay State, Lowell, MA - 2:49:56

ccowden - 10/03/2010 - Wine Glass Marathon, Corning, NY (<2:55) - 2:50:24

Another One - 4/24/10  Country Music - 2:51:14

dvc2002 - 4/19/10 Boston Marathon - 2:52:33

(2) dcv2002 - 10/03/2010 Wine Glass Marathon, Corning, NY (<2:48) - 2:53:49

kencamet - 12/05/10 California International Marathon - Sacremento, CA - 2:54:08

johnmaas - 05/08/10 Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon, St Joseph, MN - 2:54:14

Roots -  4/24/10  Glass City Marathon - 2:54:58

hubbardsw - 10/31/2010 Marine Corp Marathon - Washington DC - 2:55:01

el_jeffe - 05/02/10 Vancouver Marathon, Vancouver, CAN - 2:55:29

Aaron Health - 4/19/10 Boston Marathon - 2:55:41

flovesparko - 4/19/10 Boston Marathon - 2:55:55

ChakaKahn - 06/19/10 Grandmas Marathon - Duluth, MN - 2:56:36

tooslow - 02/28/10 Gasparilla Marathon, Tampa, FL - 2:56:47

(3)dcv2002 - 11/07/10 New York City Marathon, New York, NY - 2:56:57

Quint - 12/11/10 Rehoboth Marathon, Rehoboth Beach, DE - 2:57:14

dnephin - 4/19/10 Boston Marathon - 2:57:21

Eric Mauricette - 10/17/2010 Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor, ME - 2:57:59

T1Dawk - 03/07/10 Snickers Marathon - Albany, GA - 2:58:38

negative_split 05/02/10 Providence Mrathon - Providnece, RI - 2:58:38

jordirio - 03/07/10 Barcelona, Spain - 2:58:44

kencamet - 4/19/10 Boston Marathon - 2:58:59

Roots - 9/25/2010 Akron Marathon - Akron, OH - 2:59:08

(2) dnephin - 5/02/10 Pittsburg - 2:59:10

Dopplebock - 10/03/10 Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon, Milwaukee, WI (<2:45) - 2:59:24  

Chaloo - 10/10/10 Hudson Mohawk , Albany, NY - 2:59:28

daubenspeck - 10/10/10 Portland Marathon, Portland, OR - 2:59:50

Big grin

mta: Thanks DB for a terrific job!

33%

DoppleBock

Seems about right

Start with 100

33% Get injured or do not complete training as expected

of those that ran

50% pass

50% fail

I think I am 1 / 3 this year.

33%