Books (Read 1585 times)

Have you read well-written one lately?  Please share.

I'm reading The Sound and the Fury, a very well-written one.  One of the best.  I can hardly follow what is happening, frankly.  But somehow, I am enjoying it. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Faulkner is tough. I remember reading Go Down, Moses in high school, and having to reread each page like 6 times before I could follow what he was writing.

Just finishing Mark Kurlansky's The Eastern Stars - baseball in DR, how/why so many MLBers come from the same small area in that same small country...reminds me of the Kenya/poverty/runners thread a few weeks back.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I'm reading Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children.  Amazingly written, but it's slow going for me right now, both due to the lushness of the prose and my lack of motivation given all of the reading I do at work. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

You'll ruin your knees!

I am re-reading (4th/5th time through) the set of books by the Shaara's... Killer Angels by Michael Shaara and the pre/sequals Gods And Generals and The Last Full Measure by Jeff Shaara (Michael's son).  I just finished re-reading the two books on the American Revolution (Rise to Rebellion and The Glorious Cause) also written by Jeff Shaara. I love this style of writing (historical fiction), particularly in that the writer(s) do not do anything to alter the historical events, but try to go deep into some of the characters. 

Another pretty decent read is Unbroken by Laura Hildebrand (also wrote Seabiscuit).  This one is about Olympic hopeful Louie Zamperini (WWII POW). 

One of the most enjoyable books I have ever read is Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield.  This is also written in the historical fiction style about the Battle of Thermopylae.  Yes, this is the same battle that was used as the focus of 300, but without the cartoon charactersRoll eyes

I am in the process of reading Last Child In The Woods by Richard Louv.  It is a pretty interesting topic, well researched and thought out, but a slow read for me. 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Faulkner is tough. I remember reading Go Down, Moses in high school, and having to reread each page like 6 times before I could follow what he was writing.

Just finishing Mark Kurlansky's The Eastern Stars - baseball in DR, how/why so many MLBers come from the same small area in that same small country...reminds me of the Kenya/poverty/runners thread a few weeks back.

You might want to pick up The Art of Fielding

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Scout7

Books that I have enjoyed:

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

Enchiridion by Epictetus

Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life by Avinash K. Dixit & Barry J. Nalebuff

A Guide To The Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William Irvine

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein

Seeing The Forest for the Trees: A Manager's Guide to Applying Systems Thinking by Dennis Sherwood

I had Nalebuff for game theory. He's awesome, and the "why not" lecture, if you have time (if, say, you're stuck on an elliptical machine and have an ipad to look at) is worth a listen/look.

http://academicearth.org/lectures/why_not

Scout7

I had Nalebuff for game theory. He's awesome, and the "why not" lecture, if you have time (if, say, you're stuck on an elliptical machine and have an ipad to look at) is worth a listen/look.

http://academicearth.org/lectures/why_not

I will say that I have no background in mathematics, and the book I listed was good because it didn't get much into the actual math involved.  I will definitely have to give that a listen.

Thanks!

Books that I have enjoyed:

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

Enchiridion by Epictetus

Thinking Strategically: The Competitive Edge in Business, Politics, and Everyday Life by Avinash K. Dixit & Barry J. Nalebuff

A Guide To The Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy by William Irvine

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein

Seeing The Forest for the Trees: A Manager's Guide to Applying Systems Thinking by Dennis Sherwood

You should read A Man in Full , by Thomas Wolfe. 

- Anya

My brother recommended this book to me, but after seeing the movie, I was reluctant.

I'm glad I took his advice and read this, it is very good.

To OP:

Just finished (again) To Kill a Mockingbird

A co-worker suggested Travels with Charley (Steinbeck) good read, I would highly recommend

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Blindness by Jose Saramago. I thought a very scary book, that isn't for everyone.

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. I read this back in the late 70's or early 80's, and then again earlier this year. I enjoyed it both times.

jpdeaux

Books (Read 319 times)

Just thought this title looked clever.

Scout7

My brother recommended this book to me, but after seeing the movie, I was reluctant.

The movie is horrible, and completely misses the point of the book.  The book is far better, definitely.

Another good Heinlein book is Glory Road.  It isn't a sci-fi book, but still pretty interesting.

To OP:

Just finished (again) To Kill a Mockingbird

A co-worker suggested Travels with Charley (Steinbeck) good read, I would highly recommend

Thanks. I like that guy.