Weight Loss (Read 118 times)

mulldog

So I'm not new to running. Ive been running for about 3 years. I'm 6'2'' 210Ibs 23 years old and body fat around 16%. I am training to run better 5ks. My last 5k time was 20 minutes. Granted it was uphill but it felt horrible. I hit a wall about after mile 2. Ive generally have experienced this the last few years I just hate running because it feels like im carrying a vest on me. I currently run 15 miles a week. A couple of long distance runs some tempo and track workouts as well. I lift about once a week and do calisthenics as well. I would like to 200 Ibs and hopefully running will feel easier. I tried limiting my diet but felt it was detrimental because I almost passed out after a run from not eating enough. Is the simple solution to put in more miles? Like 20-25 per week? Thanks

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

20 minutes is very good for your size

more miles will help

Do you like running now?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

SMART Approach

You obviously have natural talent and you are really not that fit yet. Lose 10 lbs, run 25 miles per week and you will be running in the 18s easy. Most of your training runs should feel comfortable not hard. I think you are running everything hard. One day per week do a tempo or intervals. One day per week go longer, 8 miles plus at comfortable pace. Mix in other runs at comfortable lace wih 4-6 striders at quick pace toward end of run one or twice ler week. . You will continue to progress and get fitter.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Ava Watson

Ava

Aussie link spam, mate.
          berylrunner

Rick

Forget about your race times.  Run more easy miles,  Get those sessions up to over an hour, even if you have to walk some.  Limit your calories.  You are not about to pass out from lack of fuel, it is pushing the pace too fast.  Try to make running an activity you enjoy not a workout that you want to get it over with.  Once you get some weight off, then focus back on your times.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

listen to TChuck,  he knows what he is talking about.

losing 10 lbs wont necessarily give you faster times.  Its how you go about losing those 10 lbs.  gradually increasing your mleage & TOF (time on feet) you will be building a larger base to work off.   Quality prevails over quantity when it comes to your diet.  Maybe you need to "clean up"  your food intake.    You need the protein & the carbs & the fat ( 15-25% of your total caloric intake).  In some cases a person may actually need to increase their caloric intake.  Take a good honest look at what you are eating, maybe start tracking your protein, carbs, fat, & total calories.  Be more concerned with quality, eliminating the extra crap (do you really need that caramel macchiato with the whip cream on top?).

16% bodyfat is abit on the high side for an "elite" athlete but dang good when compared to the average & 20 minute 5k is a very impressive time on 15 mpw regardless of age or weight !