running blogs (Read 1022 times)

JunkEe

Looking for ideas on improving my blog & attracting readers. Www.runjunkee.blogspot.com Suggestions?

www.runjunkee.blogspot.com

facebook.com/RunJunkEes

Take this for what it is worth, my opinion.

For a blog, particularly a running blog to capture my attention.  It has to do one of two things, either it has to be someone doing epic things like crazy ultra's or a professional runner trying to make the Olympic team.

Otherwise the writing has to be compelling.  Your entries look like what I might put in my running log, short matter of fact devoid of emotion.

Tell a story, don't just say I cramped up and I don't know why.  Explain the anguish and pain, share your doubts your passion.

Give entries a beginning middle and end.  You're trying to be a writer, you have to draw us in.

Take your entry.  

Las Vegas Rock & Roll-The EXPERIENCE

I'm sure most of you have heard, by now, all of the things that went wrong at the 2011 Las Vegas Rock and Roll Marathon.  If you haven't, there were plenty of of them.

Here is how I would start that:

What do you get when mix a company turning road races into a profit making venture, with the most obscenely capitalist city in the world?  A half marathon that did virtually nothing right.  It all began when...[tell a personal story]

JunkEe

Thanks is great advice.  Thank you!  I am definitely not a writer but I am starting to develop a passion to share.  I really appreciate the feedback and hopefully, with time, I can develop my skills....either that or I'm gonna have start doing some real crazy Sh%$!!!!

And by the way, I'm stealing your recommended intro!!!

Big grin

facebook.com/RunJunkEes

JunkEe

Ok, here is my update/changes.  Let me know what you think.

Vegas Experience

facebook.com/RunJunkEes

shameless plugs, either in response to other threads or your signature line or on other running related blogs with an established following.

yeah and compelling writing..............

JunkEe

Thanks

facebook.com/RunJunkEes

Two cents:

1) The most important thing is to enjoy writing the blog, since this is pretty much all that you will get out of it. 

If you enjoy writing it, probably others will enjoy reading it. It's a big world out there, and even if the VAST majority of folks think your writing sucks and are uninterested in what you say, you can still have a readership of like-minded folks who kinda think like you do. And therefore, they get it. So, don't try to be all things to all people. Try to be someone to a few people. Take a perspective.

2) The second most important thing is to update it frequently. I set a goal of once a week. Most people are not looking for high art; they are just looking for something to pass the time at work or at the office. If you update regularly, people will follow because they know that they will have something to read.

There are probably other things you can do like optimize the blog for search engines and things like this, but I don't know anything about that.

I used to make fun of bloggers in general and geeky run bloggers in particular, but now that I have my own I think bloggers are so awesome and not geeky at all.

JunkEe

i love your perspective.  It makes a lot of sense.  Thanks.

And BTW I'm following your 'geeky' running blog now.

facebook.com/RunJunkEes

sincerely silly

My good friend has a running blog: http://runhitwonder.tumblr.com/

It's a lot of sarcasm but at least it's entertaining.  :-) Maybe not the best for struggling beginner runners though...she's new to running, but training for a half marathon and (at least on the blog) is finding the whole thing pretty easy since she was already in shape. :-)

shin splints are my nemesis

JunkEe

Entertaining and sarcastic is right up my alley...I'll take a look.  Thanks for sharing

facebook.com/RunJunkEes