Ultra Marathon (100) Advice (Read 121 times)

Member Since 2008

I have set a goal to run a 100 miler.  Any tips will be greatly appreciated.  I have run several marathons, though it's been a few years.  I currently have a base of around 19 miles per week.  I plan on training for at least a year or more if needed.  Any recommendations I can get that would ease the process, I'd appreciate.

dumrunner

I would target two years for your first 100. Look for one on Stan Jensen's Web Site. You have the advantage of having run marathons before, so if your training for those worked, train that way and when you are back in "marathon shape" try a 50K, and then a 50 miler, and maybe then a 100K. You might also consider timed races like a 6, 8 or even 12 hour race. Try to choose races that are similar to the terrain of the 100 you choose. As for weekly mileage, consider instead building to 10-12 hours of running a week as you build up to these races. The key is to be consistent. Good training plans for these distances can be found on the Ultra Ladies site. Good luck to you.

Member Since 2008

Sounds like good advice dumrunner, (I feel like I'm calling you a bad name when I say that). I figured I would have to work in a marathon, And several 50 Milers as training runs.  I live in the Sacramento California area so I've got plenty of choices to choose from.  My mother in law lives not far from Tahoe so I'll be spending quite a few weekends their getting my hill work in.  Currently I'm around 3 1/2 hours running per week.  I'll start increasing it slowly.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Okay, I am not an expert but can give you the perspective of someone who has recently trained for and done a first 100 mile run.  I am just average runner with no talent or running experience prior to age 40.  Check out the ultramarathon group here on Running Ahead and feel free to ask anything, post your progress.   I would run at least one 50 mile before doing 100.    You can build it into your training plan.  50k you just don’t encounter the same issues.    If u can do 100k even better, there just are not tons around.  I did a couple 100k before doing 100 mile, and it really helped iron out some of the issues for me like gi problems (or just at least experience them and work through it).  To train for the 50 mile I used Byron Powell relentless forward progress.  For the 100 mile, I kinda made it up based on a lot of different things but using progressively longer races through the season.  I liked Jason Koops book on ultras, Training Essentials for ultras. it’s not a specific day to day plan per se, just helps think about organizing your season and goals.   A lot of what you learn unfortunately has to come from being out there for hours on your feet.  I didn’t do a timed race but it sounds like a great idea.  You get hours on your feet, easy in terms of packing, just bring your stuff and set up shop.  I train alone, but I could see if there is a group around you could pick up a lot by crewing and running with others or working aid stations.  Also, know why you are doing it, that way when you are out there in the shit, you will have somewhere to go.  You don’t have to necessarily have that clear to start training.  If your like me you will plan and train for all this stuff and get out there and something totally different will go wrong, just have to problem solve improvise and keep moving.  Have fun.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

dumrunner

"... and something totally different will go wrong, just have to problem solve improvise and keep moving ..."

That is so true. And the thing I like most about 100s. Well that and running through the night!

Okay, I am not an expert but can give you the perspective of someone who has recently trained for and done a first 100 mile run.  I am just average runner with no talent or running experience prior to age 40.  Check out the ultramarathon group here on Running Ahead and feel free to ask anything, post your progress.   I would run at least one 50 mile before doing 100.    You can build it into your training plan.  50k you just don’t encounter the same issues.    If u can do 100k even better, there just are not tons around.  I did a couple 100k before doing 100 mile, and it really helped iron out some of the issues for me like gi problems (or just at least experience them and work through it).  To train for the 50 mile I used Byron Powell relentless forward progress.  For the 100 mile, I kinda made it up based on a lot of different things but using progressively longer races through the season.  I liked Jason Koops book on ultras, Training Essentials for ultras. it’s not a specific day to day plan per se, just helps think about organizing your season and goals.   A lot of what you learn unfortunately has to come from being out there for hours on your feet.  I didn’t do a timed race but it sounds like a great idea.  You get hours on your feet, easy in terms of packing, just bring your stuff and set up shop.  I train alone, but I could see if there is a group around you could pick up a lot by crewing and running with others or working aid stations.  Also, know why you are doing it, that way when you are out there in the shit, you will have somewhere to go.  You don’t have to necessarily have that clear to start training.  If your like me you will plan and train for all this stuff and get out there and something totally different will go wrong, just have to problem solve improvise and keep moving.  Have fun.

Kalsarikännit

I would advise going to one of the ultra groups here and asking people that have run multiple hundred milers or accept the, "I've never run more than a three mile color run, but what I would do is..." that inevitably follow.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

DoppleBock

It depends on where you plan on racing this 100 Miler.  The track?  Barkley 100?  Somewhere in between?

I echo WG - Go to the ultra group and post your question

When I race marathons I averaged 100 miles per week.  The only thing I would have had to add for 100:  1)  Specific training to align with the type of course I was going to run and some really long runs = 4-6 Hours.  Some people like the back to back long runs 4-8 hours followed by a 2-4 hour run.  I like to do one really long one and then recover.

4 week cycle of weekend long runs

week #1)  2-3 Hour

week #2)  4-5 Hour

Week #3)  2-3 Hour

Week #4)  6-8 Hour

repeat.

Now at 19 miles a week you are pretty far from the above fitness ...

If you are asking how to train for a 100 miler on 30-50 miles a week of training ... I have no idea, but there are people around here that have done it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Now to finish a 100 miler it is about

*  Pacing

*  Hydration, nutrition & electrolyte management

*  Problem solving - You will have multiple issues to overcome that could DNF you

*  Being absolutely stubborn

DoppleBock

If you are looking for an easy way to try to get to 100 miles - I would suggest

http://www.pctrailruns.com/event.aspx?dtid=13006

San Francisco 1 day race ... 24 hour race ~ Although you only have 24 hours to get to 100 miles, it is an easy loop of just over 1 mile.  You can keep all the stuff you need in on spot and access it anytime you need.  It is close to you ... go out and do the 6 hour or 12 hour this year and see what it is about.

Kalsarikännit

If you don't want to read DB's blah-blah-blah, just do what he did.

Get your ass on a treadmill and run 46 miles on a Tuesday while staring at a wall.

Or you can be a different runner.  Holy fuck, I'm coming up on a decade here and nothing has ever mattered more than this.."run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard".

Sincerely,  here is my 100 mile advice...

lots of people will tell you what to do on your weekends.  Long runs and back to back long runs.  They will tell you that breaking yourself down is some great thing.

Build yourself up.  M-F is your secret weapon.  Never destroy yourself to the degree that you can't beat someone in these five days.  Are you a runner?  Do things that real runners do.  Do strides.  Do some intervals.  This will keep you from becoming the shuffler that trips over pebbles in trail races.  More important:  lactate threshold/tempo runs.  Get your body used to flushing the bad bullshit out.  Some old guy that used to hang around here called the Wednesday mid-distance run, "the bread and butter run".  I've never forgot that.

Never, EVER, discount running a 5k or those who do.  Those people are brave.

Stop worrying about bout becoming an ultrarunner and become a runner.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Christirei

I don't run ultras and never plan to, but gosh darn it WrigleyGirl...I'm inspired!

Run Wild

My first bit of advise would be, be careful who you get advice from.  Everyone is going to have a ton of advice.  Most of it will be awful.  Some of it will be dangerous (barefoot idiots).  So make sure that anyone you are taking tips from is an experienced 100 miler.

My qualifications (https://ultrasignup.com/results_participant.aspx?fname=Daniel&lname=Crouse)

with a 100 mile pr of 20hrs.  Right now I'm training for Western States in June.

My advice

1. Run, as much as you can.  But don't kill yourself.  Do what you can each day.  But be prepared to get up the next day and do it all over again.
                          2. Train yourself to be a low maintenance runner.  Trust me on this.  It is a huge benefit to role into an aid station, grab whatever they have and shuffle on.  If you have to have certain food, gels, change of socks at every aid station, it all eats up time.  I've outrun a lot of folks much more talented than I am just because I can cruise through an aid station.
                          3. Cumulative fatigue is your friend during training.  Running 100 miles is much different than any other running event.  It does not matter how fast you can run the first 50, 60, or even 90 miles.  You have to be able to cover those last miles at whatever pace is possible for you.  So when you are training for a 100, just get used to running on tired legs.  
                          4. Long runs are great, but not everyone has time for them.  As long as you are getting proper weekly mileage, for me I peak at around 120-130 miles a week, this will be fine.  Cumulative fatigue...  see above.
                          5. Get a good headlamp and embrace the overnight.  I personally love overnights.  I do them by myself just for fun.

I could go on, and on, and on....  email me if you'd like more guidance or tips.

an amazing likeness

"Most of it will be awful"

Seriously...did you just throw your "credentials" out against some of runners who have already posted here, that's bonkers.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Run Wild

"Most of it will be awful"

Seriously...did you just throw your "credentials" out against some of runners who have already posted here, that's bonkers.

I never said I was nice...  But I can run a 100 miler.

an amazing likeness

I never said I was nice...  But I can run a 100 miler.

I can't and probably could not. Mentally, or physically.

However two of the people responding here to the OP's question have extensive ultra running experience, and I find it unlikely their advice will be "awful", as you specifically noted "Everyone is going to have a ton of advice.  Most of it will be awful..."

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.