Ankle tendinitis (Read 129 times)

Adjordjevic

Im a varsity high school runner who put in about 1600 miles since last June. While it has paid off greatly, I developed ankle tendinitis in my right ankle about last month or so. I finished my track season off end of May and dealt through the pain since end of April but when I started summer running for cross season, the pain became unbearable and annoying. My coach has told me to do 40 minutes elliptical with core stretching and ice and rubberband exercises to my ankle. I'm pretty anxious to get back to

regular running mileage so I can continue my progress. Any suggestions or anyone have any expirence with ankle tendinitis?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

"Ankle tendonitis" is a bit broad.  Do you know which one of the following it is?:

• Achilles tendonitis, a common condition that occurs when the Achilles tendon, which connects the calf muscle to the ankle, becomes swollen, inflamed and painful at the back of the heel. Ankle tendonitis can be caused by bone spurs or related to flat feet.
      • Posterior tibial tendonitis, a common problem of inflammation and tenderness of one of the ankle tendons on the inner side of the ankle, just under the bony protrusion.
      • Peroneal Tendonitis, a fairly common type of ankle tendonitis often related to ankle sprains, overuse or tightness in the calf muscles. Typically, there is pain along the outside edge of the foot and ankle.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Adjordjevic

Sorry it's peroneal

Adjordjevic

"Ankle tendonitis" is a bit broad.  Do you know which one of the following it is?:

• Achilles tendonitis, a common condition that occurs when the Achilles tendon, which connects the calf muscle to the ankle, becomes swollen, inflamed and painful at the back of the heel. Ankle tendonitis can be caused by bone spurs or related to flat feet.
          • Posterior tibial tendonitis, a common problem of inflammation and tenderness of one of the ankle tendons on the inner side of the ankle, just under the bony protrusion.
          • Peroneal Tendonitis, a fairly common type of ankle tendonitis often related to ankle sprains, overuse or tightness in the calf muscles. Typically, there is pain along the outside edge of the foot and ankle.

Yeah it's definitley Peroneal. Any suggestions?

Find a chiropractor or PT that is good at ART, and also uses a combination of Ultrasound and electric stim.

Also, learn to massage and treat the area yourself. Just a few "strokes" a few times/day on the sore area can help with healing.

If this is just over-use, then the above will help heal. If there's more of a systemic issue, you need to get to the bottom of it.

Tight calfs/achilles could be to blame.

Adjordjevic

Find a chiropractor or PT that is good at ART, and also uses a combination of Ultrasound and electric stim.

Also, learn to massage and treat the area yourself. Just a few "strokes" a few times/day on the sore area can help with healing.

If this is just over-use, then the above will help heal. If there's more of a systemic issue, you need to get to the bottom of it.

Tight calfs/achilles could be to blame.

Yeah my infamous calfs are known for being right and I'm constantly stretching them out though.

Slow-smooth-fast

I feel your pain. I have been out for nearly 2 months with tendinitis. I'm feed up of it. To make things worse I have just broken my big toe. Totally debilitated. Don't know how long until I can run properly again. I miss it so much

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

I've been battling achilles tendonitis.  But peroneal is different. I was able to do heel drops to rehab my issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sa8r_YABas

YouTube Link

ud32

I was just about to post seeking help for what appears to be my situation - been battling it for about 3 weeks. Every time I think I'm OK I run and then I realize I'm not better. Basically my symptoms are:

• Pain in lower achilles when I walk up sand down steps
                    • Discomfort in foot right below inside ankle bone
                    • Discomfort outside foot near ankle bone - really only when running
                    • Pain is most when I run and am pushing off with the injured foot
                    •  Discomfort in Achilles when I'm at the top of heel raises
                    •  Ran 5 miles today - pain/discomfort for first mile, then subsided for next 2-3 and then back for last mile
                    •  Was using massage "stick" off and on and periodically icing it

Would prefer to try and self treat and avoid having to take time for PT sessions. Concerned with losing mileage base by taking too much time off as I'm registered for a half in September.

Any other suggestions to treat this ? Any suggestions on how much time to take off and how to maintain aerobic conditioning ?