Steve's Run 10k (Read 469 times)

Information: http://www.smc.cc.mi.us/fireup/stevesrun/index.html This was my first 10k and it was great! I definitely reccomend it to anyone who lives in southern Michigan or northern Indiana. The race is held in honor of a Southwestern Michigan College athlete, Steve Briegel, who died of cancer in 1990. The course is tagged as "the original road and trail race", and it was definitely unique and interesting. The 10k route went through downtown Dowagiac, MI, through a golf course, a cemetery, a wildlife refuge, and forest trails. The route was clearly marked with signs and every few hundred yards were volunteers who would shout out things like "You're beautiful, thank you for running!". A guy at the 4k mark was even counting how many women were passing, and let me know that I was the 97th. At the 5k point there was a sign declaring "And Now for Some Genuine Cross Country", and we began the last half through dense woods along a dirt path. There was a stone fence that you could hurdle over, as well as bales of hay that had been set up just for fun. There were volunteers at every mile calling out times. At the 4 mile point the lady had set up inflatable palm trees, spread out sand on the ground, and was sitting in her lawn chair with her bikini on! (Just to let you know, the 4 mile mark was in the middle of the woods!) Along the whole course were "fire up signs" that you could purchase for a dollar or two if you pre-registered and write encouraging things on it. A lot of cross country teams bought signs and wrote encouraging things to their teammates ("Niles Vikings 'Forge' On Through!), and there were also a lot of signs saying things like "Mary Smith, 5 year Cancer Survivor, You Go Girl!" Post-race, they had just about any fruit you could think of, Gatorade and water, popsicles, music, and just a wonderful atmosphere. For only 19 dollars we got all of this, great volunteers, Chip-timed, and a GREAT colored shirt that said "Steve's Run 2007, the Original Road and Trail Race". It was a great experience, and I even came in under my goal of 60 minutes with 58:53. Big grin
    "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
      That sounds like a great race, and for a great cause. All the cheering and support signs must have been really touching. Congrats on beating your goal time too!
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's awesome! Man, I wish I had done that 10k...I could have driving just a little further... That really sounds awesome. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That's awesome! Man, I wish I had done that 10k...I could have driving just a little further... That really sounds awesome. Smile k
          Do it, do it, do it! Put it on your calendar for next year. It's an awesome race, great people, PLENTY of water stops, and a beautiful, unique course. Only downside is it's pretty hot and humid (but you'll have that with a late July race in MI, right?) But they did give out sponges and towels soaked in ice water at the water stops which was great. Smile
          "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
          btb1490

Wow, that sounded like a lot of fun! After running in a race like that, won't any other race just seem too ordinary? Congrats to the organizers for putting on such a neat event, and for a great cause too. And congrats to you for beating your goal and having fun doing it! Thank you for the great report, very well done.