Cross Country State Championships (Read 315 times)

They are happening today in Wisconsin, and I wish I could be there.

A state championship CC meet is probably one of the most underrated events in all of sports!  Have you ever been to one before?  I've ran at the state championships, coached there, and just watched as a spectator too.  They are so much fun.

My kids are a little young yet, but in a few years, I want to make that an annual trip to see the races.  When is the state meet in your state?  Is it nice?  In Wisconsin, they do a great job.

They are happening today in Wisconsin, and I wish I could be there.

A state championship CC meet is probably one of the most underrated events in all of sports!  Have you ever been to one before?  I've ran at the state championships, coached there, and just watched as a spectator too.  They are so much fun.

My kids are a little young yet, but in a few years, I want to make that an annual trip to see the races.  When is the state meet in your state?  Is it nice?  In Wisconsin, they do a great job.

Iowa too...and the weather is perfect. We have a team that has a shot at a perfect score.

Monticello

Ranked No.1 in the nation for small schools. (500 students or less)

www.hplg.net  The Human Powered League - Solo Cup Series - Trail Building

Where I used to run and coach, Arrowhead HS, is ranked in the top five.  They won last year, but I'm not sure they can do it again.

My wife coached the girls a few years back.  The girls won last year too, and they should have a good battle with Neenah for the championship.

Good luck Monticello!

My wife and I took our son, and another dad/kid from my son's school to watch the HS sectional meet at Busse Woods in Schaumburg IL  What an electrifying environment. It was cool to see some of the kids that my son competed against when he was a 6t/thh grader, and will soon be teammates with and/or competing against again next season.

Of course I"m biased, but I think CC is one of the best HS sports.

My ninth-grade daughter runs XC JV.  She didn't run today, but went with the team to the state meet (Maine).  The boys won three out of four years that my son was on the team (varsity all four years).  The team hasn't done as well in the past couple of years, though.  I still love going to meets - I especially like seeing how the parents and even coaches cheer on all the kids, not just their team.

I also like following the kids' progress as they improve during the season.  My daughter's 5k time fell from 30:00 to 24:16 in a little over a month. Now I just need to encourage her to run some during the rest of the year!

Fat butt on couch

I never got to go as a team, which would have been very special.  Our HS boy's team was alternate, first not to go, 5 years in a row from when I was in 7th grade through my junior year.  My senior year we had a phenominal team and would have been vying for the top 5, but we have moved up from Class C to Class B by 2 students!  So we got beat out by much larger schools.  I went as an individual junior/senior but those experiences were unmemorable, except that one was in ridiculous mud and the other in ridiculous snow/slush.

This was in Michigan and soon after I graduated they went to running them all at Michigan International Speedway.  I never went but I heard the course was boring and more like grass track than XC.

When my kids are a bit older I plan to start taking them to some meets.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand