Running in Suburbia is so. darn. boring. (Read 297 times)

I ran 10.6 miles in the burbs this morning.  I liked it since there's a forest around here where I ran on these trails. 

Julia1971

I love the pre-dawn runs, before the city has started to awake.  I like the solitude and, ironically, the friendly "good morning" from the occasional other runner on the dark trail.

I remember one super early run a year or so ago when I was suddenly amazed by how many people are working that early in the morning - delivery people, bus drivers, fast food workers, police officers...  I love the occasional runner or biker on the trail moments in the winter.  It's crazy acknowledging crazy.

Julia1971

Yes, my husband and I enjoyed our early morning runs on Mt Vernon Trail when we've stayed in Crystal City.

It's a great trail.  My only complaint is that there are no water fountains!  I've probably sucked in more jet fuel over the years than is advisable.  Can't beat the views on a long run, though.

Charles G

Boring is good.  I can focus on running. Cool

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Ha! I grew up in Carmel and go back a couple of times a year to visit family. Running there is always brutal for me, too. I briefly considered the Carmel marathon as an excuse to go back for a visit, but then it occurred to me how unfathomably boring and awful that would be - a circle of hell unto itself.

Glad to know I'm not nuts in my depiction of the running scene here in Carmel. Thanks. 

But wow. You ran on the Carmel Cross Country team? That team is legendary. I was pretty psyched when my suburban PA high school won county champs a few times, but Carmel has won more State Championships than I can count ...

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I have run the Carmel Marathon 1.3 times.  Smile

There are far more boring routes out there, and the race is well run.  Since you get to run in the road a lot of the issues I've encountered with running in Carmel are alleviated.  The only negative thing I can say about the race is that it does have a lot of turns.  Which, I didn't even notice until someone pointed it out to me afterwards.

Glad to hear that the Carmel Marathon isn't that bad. I was fearing the boredom factor. The route does go right through my backyard, though, so at least I know that just past Mile 11 I'll have a good, clean potty if I need one. Wink

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

lesliel

spam

You Rang?

I run in the burb too.  When the half mile blocks around here get boring, I head to the beach and run out to the end of the Huntington Beach Pier.  It makes for an interesting GPS map trace.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Sultan of slug

But wow. You ran on the Carmel Cross Country team? That team is legendary. I was pretty psyched when my suburban PA high school won county champs a few times, but Carmel has won more State Championships than I can count ...

It feels misleading to say "I ran Carmel cross-country." I was a middle-of-the pack runner during those years in the early 2000s when we didn't come anywhere close to winning state. Our legendary long-time coach was losing his magic (and some of his marbles) around then...

I'm amazed to see so many runners in metro Indianapolis and in Washington, DC, where I am now. Count me as a fan of running in DC: You can have a pure urban run, a run along the water via the Mt. Vernon trail or along Haines Point, a trail run through the woods in Rock Creek Park (my bread and butter), and - my favorite - an epic hybrid run combining everything! Hooray for city running.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Count me as a fan of running in DC: You can have a pure urban run, a run along the water via the Mt. Vernon trail or along Haines Point, a trail run through the woods in Rock Creek Park (my bread and butter), and - my favorite - an epic hybrid run combining everything! Hooray for city running.

Yes, when I lived in Arlington, I could run on the W&OD Trail and not cross a road for miles, or have an amazing run along the Potomac and through the city. Yes, running in DC - year round - is great. Enjoy!

delicate flower

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it!"

<3