2016 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 290 times)

Julia1971

Here's a link to my race report.

Congratulations to everyone who ran and thanks for everyone who supported us!

btb1490

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I don't know if I'm just experiencing the post-race after-glow, but I think that this year's race was my best NYC Marathon ever. (I did 5 before in 1979, 1980, 2011, 2013, and 2015). It wasn't my best time or even close, but maybe that's part of why I enjoyed it so much. The weather was fantastic, I wasn't pushing myself very hard, and I thought the crowds were even larger and louder than last year. I run with music, but  I turn it off when there is live music or loud cheering on the course. That meant that I hardly ever turned it on. The entire course was loud and crowded and totally amazing. I felt so grateful to be a part of it all.

Before the race, I was thinking this might be my last marathon. I was under-prepared, only getting in 25-30 miles a week over the summer and only doing one 20-mile run 3 weeks before. I was doing 7-8 hours a week of biking and swimming over the summer too, but significantly less running than usual for marathon training. I was expecting the race to be difficult and demoralizing, but it was just the opposite. Now I'm thinking of doing it again next year, also at a more relaxed pace, just for the experience.

Julia1971

I don't know if I'm just experiencing the post-race after-glow, but I think that this year's race was my best NYC Marathon ever. (I did 5 before in 1979, 1980, 2011, 2013, and 2015). It wasn't my best time or even close, but maybe that's part of why I enjoyed it so much. The weather was fantastic, I wasn't pushing myself very hard, and I thought the crowds were even larger and louder than last year. I run with music, but  I turn it off when there is live music or loud cheering on the course. That meant that I hardly ever turned it on. The entire course was loud and crowded and totally amazing. I felt so grateful to be a part of it all.

Before the race, I was thinking this might be my last marathon. I was under-prepared, only getting in 25-30 miles a week over the summer and only doing one 20-mile run 3 weeks before. I was doing 7-8 hours a week of biking and swimming over the summer too, but significantly less running than usual for marathon training. I was expecting the race to be difficult and demoralizing, but it was just the opposite. Now I'm thinking of doing it again next year, also at a more relaxed pace, just for the experience.

I think it was one of the best, too.  (Except for the logistical problems some people experienced.)  I'm pretty sure this was the largest, loudest marathon crowd I've ever seen over 26.2 miles.  I'm glad it inspired you to run another one.  Smile