How Much has Technology Revitalised your Running ? (Read 994 times)

Desmondp

Recently got a Garmin 305 , it's the first piece of running technology i have bought since my old Polar Accurex II HRM. I have to say, it has totally revitalised my running. I have always been a statistics junkie, for years i recorded everything in a diary, kilometre splits, heart rates etc. I always had to run on carefully measured routes around my house that i had measured with a bicycle computer. now i can just run wherever i want and i come back home and can upload all the data and get all the stats i desire. Garmin and Sport tracks are a godsend Smile

Dave

Who needs sporttracks when you have RA? Big grin You're a nerd, Desmond. No insult there. Just accept it. You are in good company here. If a garmin makes you run more, it can revitalize your running. Now post your log on here. You can even upload your little nerdy garmin data. You have no excuse Wink

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My Forerunner crumped today. Somehow I still completed my 5k. Felt nekkid tho. Big grin

Dave

Told you there was plenty of company in here for the garmin obsession.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Not much --- Im a computer geek by trade and profession... When I run I like it to be as untechnical as possible so I dont have any of those fancy gadgets (Gramins, heart rate monitors, calorie counters).......I know plenty of people that love them but when i run I like to keep it simple.... I pretty much still wear cotton T-shirts too.........

Champions are made when no one is watching

Desmondp

Not much --- Im a computer geek by trade and profession... When I run I like it to be as untechnical as possible so I dont have any of those fancy gadgets (Gramins, heart rate monitors, calorie counters).......I know plenty of people that love them but when i run I like to keep it simple.... I pretty much still wear cotton T-shirts too.........
              Look i agree with that, often i barely look at the Garmin during the run, glancing at it when it beeps for autolap but it is after the run where the fun starts. I love finishing a good run and can't wait to upload the data to sports tracks and compare it to previous runs. It is post run analysis which is key for me.

Member Since 2008

Yep, my Garmin has saved me alot of money. I used to go out on my runs and then drive the coarse when I got home to see how many miles it was. I guess you can also say it's helped save the environment.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I love my Garmin, but it's not that device that revitalized my running...the technology that helped get me back and keep me running is this place. I am 99.9% certain that without Eric's amazing resource that I would have given up long ago. But I can't bear to look at an empty graph, now. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jfa

Yep,once again, Zoomy's right on the mark. It's the Garmin + the Best Running Site combined that makes it really cool !

she runs like a girl

Garmin? The extent of my running technology is "Timex" ... and RA of course Just a question for those of you who use a Garmin, How accurate do you find the distance on your Garmin compared with the RA course maps?
                      2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just a question for those of you who use a Garmin, How accurate do you find the distance on your Garmin compared with the RA course maps?
                        Pretty danged close when I have compared identical routes mapped on RA vs. my Garmin.

~ Sarah Kay

Just a question for those of you who use a Garmin, How accurate do you find the distance on your Garmin compared with the RA course maps?
                          Generally I find Garmin distance is very close, but just a little longer than the "real" distance. An example from a recent certified marathon course: my Garmin 405's recorded distance was just 145metres longer (0.34%) than the real distance.

Running - cheaper than therapy

The one reason why I 'would' like to have a Garmin is for races, because I would like to know specifically what my splits are and know what my pace is during a race and the Garmin would tell me that kind of stuff..... I never feel like I pace myself properly at the beginning of a race...and a garmin would probably help me stay in control...and I would like to track each of my mile splits so I can see specifically where I need to train for future progress...... Other then that, I dont think I really care about having one....

Champions are made when no one is watching

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Generally I find Garmin distance is very close, but just a little longer than the "real" distance. An example from a recent certified marathon course: my Garmin 405's recorded distance was just 145metres longer (0.34%) than the real distance.
                              Or it could be that you didn't run the measured tangents exactly...and dodged a few people...and the Garmin isn't perfectly accurate. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

Yep, my Garmin has saved me alot of money. I used to go out on my runs and then drive the coarse when I got home to see how many miles it was. I guess you can also say it's helped save the environment.
                                But if you wanted to save on gas or the environment you could have just used the mapping tool right on this very site. Or estimated. Either one works for training purposes, I've found. To answer the OP's question, I'd say that RA has been good for my running--something about seeing those miles pile up week after week and month after month does serve as motivation.

Runners run