Zero Degree Run (Read 1434 times)

run4fun8910

So tomorrow morning the temp will be 0. I am not sure what it will be with wind chill. Fortunately where I run wind chill is not usually a factor. I have been running in temps 14-22 degrees for the last couple of weeks and have found it very enjoyable. I must be sick. I am really looking forward to running tomorrow but also want to make sure that I do it safely in such low temperature. I am one of those poor runners. I have running tights, pair of shorts, shortsleave technical t-shirt(don't yet have long sleeve technical t-shirt,) long sleeve cotton t-shirt(2) and a zip up light weight to medium fleece. Technical hat, gloves. no balaclava but I have a scar avail. I have a 5 min warm up. Will run for 25 minutes and cool down for 5 for 35 minutes total. Am I going to warm, not enough layers? Do I have to worry about frostbite for the short time I will be out there (can I leave the scarf behind?) Thanks for any help. Shawn
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
      This will help you determine what to wear under various conditions: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
        So do you live in MN too? ;o) 0 degree F is not a problem as long as you dress appropriately. Let's start from the bottom; wear tights first and then definitely wind-breaker type of pants. If you don't have it yet, get it (well too late now for tomorrow morning!). Make sure your ankles are not exposed. I sometimes cut off the top part of old socks (with a hole) and wear that between pants/tights and sockes to protect my ankles--works great. With what you've got, I'd wear long sleeve T-shirts; then short sleeve T-shirts over it (I like to push the long sleeve T-shirt down with the short-S); then fleese jacket (this should creat a cushion of warm air between the long/short sleeve shirts and fleese); then windbreaker jacket. I wear my watch over the sleeve so I don't have to expose my wrist when I check my watch. I found old gardening gloves work best. The other day, I was running with this girl I coach--she had expensive (I'd assume) Nike high tech (?) gloves. She was complaining her hands getting cold. I gave her my gardening gloves and got hers. I couldn't believe how cold wind just went right through them! Bill Rodgers used to run in those gardening gloves and I've been wearing them ever since through 15+ years of MN winter. About $3--beats high tech $30 pair! I don't worry about covering my face too much but I do worry about covering around your neck. I have jacket that you can zip up all the way to cover the neck. Most likely you'd get warm later; but then you can just zip it down. Cover your ears all the way. About a half an hour of running shouldn't be too bad but you can always find a loop that you can run around. We have this loop--about 30-minute per lap. We did 2-hour run; 4 laps around; a couple of weeks ago when the temperature was 5. We completed all 4 laps but the idea was so when the condition gets too bad, we can always quit. Make sure you run into the wind first and turn around and come back with the wind. Have fun!
          Besides what Nobby said, you might want to use vaseline on face - esp. nose, ears, cheek bones. Some folks have some problems breathing the cold dry air at 0F and below. Wrapping a scarf around nose and mouth loosely can help with that. Also mittens are usually warmer than gloves, but as Nobby points out, they have to have some wind resistance. I'd wear wool socks also, if you have them. I like Smartwools a lot. We can get windy and often I'm running IN snow (not on top of it), so I may use double layer of socks (liner inside Smartwools) or neoprene socks, BUT you need to be sure you have room to wiggle your toes - otherwise you'll be cutting off your circulation. For 35 min, you can use plastic bags (grocery store vegetable ones). Once you get experience, you'll learn what you need / don't need, how to keep fluids from freezing (and how to unclog frozen camelbaks, etcs), what foods are less likely to freeze, etc. You'll also start accumulating gear that works better - looking for the perfect mouse trap can take years - but you don't need that to start. And may not ever need unless you do multi-hour runs at sub-zero temps. Enjoy! And tell us how you make out! Cold and clear with bright white snow and clear blue sky is some of the prettiest weather to run in. Enjoying +15-20F yesterday and today (relative to +5F and below for many of my runs over the last month).
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          run4fun8910

It was a great run. The forcast turned out to be wrong. It was 10 degrees with wind chill to 0. I ended up wearing running tights, technical socks, could not find my technical t-shirt so I had 2 long sleeve t-shirts and a zip up fleece jacket and a hat and gloves. Half way in to the run the jacket was unzipped. I do love the morning runs. Your advice is awesome and I think I will probably need to use the suggestions sooner than later. One thing that I think is pretty funny is the looks I get from my co-workers and friends when they here that I am out running in the frigid weather.
              My 2 cents....1 extra sock for the junk.
              Runners around the state are getting better today ...are you one of them? TRAIN HARD
                You need to get some long sleeve technical shirts and more tights. At 0F I would wear a pair of Cool Max briefs (THE most important piece of cold weather gear for us guys), two pairs of tights, two long sleeve tech shirts with a cotton jersey on top to break the wind, a light weight polyester stocking cap and a pair of Cool Max glove liners. Avoid wearing cotton next to your skin in the cold because it gets wet and conducts heat away from your body. Save it for outer layers only. This is my 7th. year of winter running here in Michigan and after many sub zero runs can attest that multiple layers of tech clothing works great in the cold. I avoid jackets or any water or wind proof outer layers since they tend to trap moisture inside which can be very uncomfortable in the cold. One so called breathable running jacket that I had would actually have chunks of frozen sweat in it at the end of a run. I could have bought a lot of layers for what I paid for that jacket. Tom

SMART Approach

Add another layer or two or three on your privates. I made this mistake last year on a very cold run around -2 degrees and will never make it again.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Why is it sideways?

There was a NYTimes article on this subject this morning. Click.
                      Excellent article. It pretty much eliminates all the excuses. I second Tchuck's suggestion to protect the plumbing. I've only made that mistake once. Shocked Tom
                        There was a NYTimes article on this subject this morning. Click.
                        Thanks very much for the article. I was actually having an argument with some buddies that said exercising in below zero temps is unsafe and dangerous. The link is proving very valuable.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

run4fun8910

I liked the article. This weekend I am investing in a pair of inserts for my shoes to control some mild over pronation and am going on the hunt to find a sale on a long sleeve technical t-shirt or 2. As far as the previous suggestion of vaseline on the face. Does that work? Now for this last run this morning, My legs felt fine. With the one pair of tights. I was a little cool when I started but 10-15 in the run my legs were fine, I was definitely sweating upper body. Those cotton shirts definitely did not work as well as when I wear my technical t-shirt. Interesting thing is that I really did not sweat alot during the run but I started sweating when I stopped running and began my cool down. Then my arms were definitely feeling the affects of the sweat. Is that a normal or am I some freak of nature?

My sweet new crank!

I prefer Eucerin on my nose, lips and cheeks over vaseline. Cold running is addictive, get out and enjoy!!!
                            Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
                              One thing that I think is pretty funny is the looks I get from my co-workers and friends when they here that I am out running in the frigid weather.
                              They'll get used to it.Smile My colleagues did before I retired. For my retirement they gave me a gift card so I could buy some summer running gear at REI.Wink (I did a lot of field work in summer, so bulk of my running was winter until 2.5 yrs ago.)
                              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                                Add another layer or two or three on your privates. I made this mistake last year on a very cold run around -2 degrees and will never make it again.
                                Patagonia makes some killer moisture wicking briefs that help this situation enormously. They're something like $25 a pair but worth every penny.