First 5K (Read 625 times)

I am running my first 5k soon. I have been training and I am up to running 2.75mi three times per week. Next week I will be at 3.0mi and the 5k is that weekend. I am not in it to be the fastest, just to finish. The race is at 8:30am and I am wondering what I should do the night before and the morning of the race. Eating, resting, warm up etc...
    James

Lazy idiot

Congratulations on moving right on up the distance ladder. For my first 5k, I worked up to it very similar to what you've done. The day before, I ate normally, and tried to sleep enough. Because I was barely comfortable at running 3 miles, I did almost no warm-up. I wasn't running "hard", so I just warmed up as I ran. Good luck!

Tick tock

theyapper

On the road again...

Congrats on the first 5k coming up. Biggest advice I can give you is to keep your normal routine as much as you can and keep a good steady pace. Don't get sucked into following the faster people there and enjoy yourself. You're gonna love it.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

ultramarathon/triathlete

Agreed with theyapper66, don't go out too fast with the fast people (it's tempting but hold back) and you'll have a good race. You can run the distance. General rule of thumb I've always been told/told people is that you can take the distance you can comfortably run and double that for a race (if you can run 3 miles without keeling over, you can race 6). The race will give you a lot of adreneline, which will keep you going. As for the night before, just try to rest. Your nerves might be going wild since it's your first 5k, but I've never met anyone who was not nervous before a race (until they've race dozens, and still!). Way back in HS XC I remember reading a Runners World article that said if you can's sleep before a race, act like it. Meaning: get some time in your bed, get 8 hours if you can, just lie there if you have to. Ideally try to sleep but if you can't, at least your legs will be getting the rest they need. So don't freak out :-) For eating, just eat what you'd normally eat, though don't go overboard, you don't need to carb-load for a 5K. Now is also not the time to try eating anything new before the race or even the night before. Eat what you know won't upset your stomach and maybe have a light breakfast if you usually do. Before a 5K, I always eat half a PB&J. Any more and I feel it is too much. Bring the other half for after the race. The morning of the race, strech before you run (assuming you normally strech, which you should) and be sure to walk around a bit afterwards for a good cooldown (which you should always do) and stretch again. You can run a bit before the race if you like, to warm up, but since it's your first 5K and it's not a super crazy distance, you'll be fine just walking around a bit to get the legs loose, and the nerves a bit loose too. You're gonna have a great time. Just remember to enjoy it and you'll be ready for the next one soon. You've already gone just about that distance, so I'm confident you'll have no problems if you keep your cool. ---sorry for the long response, I just downed a large iced coffee to get some motivation for my long run this evening. :-)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

Ringmaster

Congrats on your first 5K! You've gotten some great advice. Not much more to add. Best advice ever: nothing new on race day, no matter how tempting it is. No new socks, new shirt, nothing you haven't tested on a run before. This being July/August, I'm guessing it will be warm on race day. Hydrate the days leading up to the race, and especially the day before. And visit the porta potties before lining up at the beginning of the race. Having to go is not the proper motivation to run 3.1 at a good pace. Give yourself PLENTY of time to get to the race. Err on the side of caution and get there early. Better to have too much time than not enough. Walking is not only great warm-up without tiring the legs, it's a great way to soak up the experience, and, if you're so inclined, to talk to other runners. If you want to, tell them it's your first 5k. They'll probably love telling you their stories and encourage you. Enjoy it. You'll never run your first 5k again!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Just wanted to wish you and your wife luck at the race! I wish my DH was interested in running. Have fun!
              ~ Fly ~
              Only as much as I dream can I be.
              veggies on the run