GPS watch for 10 year old girl (Read 1630 times)

who do I need to speak to in order to be a friend of Reading for GD's sake?

Your local librarian should be able to help you with this.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

L Train

In related news, who do I need to speak to in order to be a friend of Reading for GD's sake?  I want to suck the joy out of my running by running a 5K, but online registration is closed.  I promise to run without my Garmin.

I suspect user error: https://www.signmeup.com/site/online-event-registration/75743

Runners run

L Train

I suspect user error: https://www.signmeup.com/site/online-event-registration/75743

Hmm.  Apparentrly I was trying to get into the 4th annual race and I guess I was late or that.

MTA: I am registered for suckage.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

We call that an ID10T error in the IT world Wink

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Okay for the record it was not a user error...it was an old page that is still searchable on Google.  The Goog does not let you forget.

Runners run

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

OK, so maybe it was just a loose screw between the keyboard and the chair.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Dave

The OP seems to have vanished in the face of all of this collective cleverness.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

xhristopher

A friend's 6 year old son ran a marathon this spring.

He did it at school and they spread it out over a month. Families came out to watch the kids run the last mile and they made a big deal of it for the kids. I think it was very age appropriate and was positive for everyone from many angles.

See. Everyone is doing marathons these days, even first graders...

northernman

Fight The Future

My daughter is starting to train for a HM.  I wanted to get her some sort of watch to help her out.  I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and I like it.  I'm afraid that something like that it is just too big for her wrist.  Is there anything out there comparable in a smaller form factor?  I would like to keep cost down as well.

I feel the need to counterpoint the naysayers and grumpy old men (even though I am a GOM myself). Kids these days love gadgets. A running watch is a wonderful tool to show progress over time. I know my 11 year old would love one, and I think it would inspire her to be more regular in her running. She really wants to run the mile in a "Presidential" time, whatever that is, but can't do it yet. I think if she could see progress in her mile pace, it would really help her confidence.

This reminds me of a conversation I was having about the poor fitness of today's population. Apparently 10% of adults have diabetes ! But if you have a child in school, you may be as disappointed as I am about how lame they are at instilling confidence and enthusiasm in children for activities. At our school, the kids have to run a mile once in the spring and once in the fall. They get a grade based on how fast they run it, but no instructions on how to train, or running form, or anything like that. Nothing based on improvement, just on absolute speed. I think it sucks, but basically public schooling sucks in general.

atomno2

My wife decided she wanted to do one. It is still 35 weeks out. My daughter runs regularly with me and her mom. It is kind of a family thing. She is very active with dance, cheering, and softball. As said before kids are techy and she is no exception. She is not being made to do anything.

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

L Train

My wife decided she wanted to do one. It is still 35 weeks out. My daughter runs regularly with me and her mom. It is kind of a family thing. She is very active with dance, cheering, and softball. As said before kids are techy and she is no exception. She is not being made to do anything.

I wasn't judging really (though I think it came off that way), I think it's great.  It's certainly better than many alternatives.  I guess I can't imagine running those distances fun at that age.  Not so much the race but the weekly toil of miles it will take to be prepared over the 35 weeks. 

A friend's 6 year old son ran a marathon this spring.

He did it at school and they spread it out over a month. Families came out to watch the kids run the last mile and they made a big deal of it for the kids. I think it was very age appropriate and was positive for everyone from many angles.

See. Everyone is doing marathons these days, even first graders...

At the risk of being even more of a grumpy old curmudgeon than usual: He didn't run a marathon - he ran 26.2 miles over a month - it's not the same thing!

Everyone who runs is going to reach 26.2 miles run in pretty short order - it doesn't mean they've all run a marathon...

At the risk of being even more of a grumpy old curmudgeon than usual: He didn't run a marathon - he ran 26.2 miles over a month - it's not the same thing!

Everyone who runs is going to reach 26.2 miles run in pretty short order - it doesn't mean they've all run a marathon...

I think they new that. I think they were just trying to make a point about all the so-called Marathons out there that aren't really marathons. 

I recall when I first started running years ago many of my shirts would say "mini marathon" even when they were just 5 or 10Ks. It didn't bother me then, but it does a little bit now.