Input/ few questions for people who run year around (Read 342 times)

hectortrojan

I have been running a little over three year now and was thinking about; things to avoid & things to do so that I can go longer and keep getting faster & keep enjoying running.

How often do you do speed work? Why?

I do not do it more than once a week generally. I enjoy running fast once in a while  and I want to get faster

How often do you go without doing any speed work? Why?

I generally do speed work every week or so because I do not know any better. If nothing else, I would sprint here and there.

What type of speed work? Why?

I do not have patten and do a mixer of; fartlek, tempo, interval, sprint and progressive. For whatever reason, I enjoy different workout different time and it keeps changing.

Do you have any particular pattern? why? taking few weeks off, doing some base training, doing particular races,….

I do not have a pattern. I like to run regularly without getting injured. I take it easy when I feel like something is coming. I learned it hard way.

Able to run regularly is more important to me than hitting some milestones. I try to balance between running and personal life and try to make sure I am enjoying enough relationships and enough running; and it is always changing.

How much do you run?

I did

Over 2000 miles, around 325 hours in 2015

under 1250 miles, little less than 200 hours in 2014

around 1250 miles, little more than 200 hours in 2013

How far have you ran? Why?

I did around 50 miles three times; from 2700 feet to 12000 feet of total elevation gain. I enjoy going longer and would like to go longer than I have been before.

How fast can you run? 

I thought I could do 1:30 HM and I tried 6:50 min/mile tempo in March and was able to hold on that pace for HM distance. 5:42 is the fastest 1 mile that I ran; I did it  last month and it was very painful.

What other things that I did not include here which should be thought about?

Since this thread has been read 15 times with no responses. I'll do my best to help you.

#1-Never. I don't feel like it, and I don't run to race, I run for me.

#2- All the time. I vary my runs 3,5,3 sometimes 5,7,5 miles, depends on how I feel.

#3- refer to question 1

#4- The pattern I use is a Pseudo .5 marathon training program, the Hal Higdon one. I usually run 3,5,3 then either 3, 5 or 7 which ever I feel like doing. Often the 4th day i'll hike maybe 10 miles with 30-40 lb. back pack.

#5- this will be a lean year for running for me I think, prolly less then 800 miles. Not that I run much farther then that anyway. I'm good with the amount I run, like I said, I'm not racing.

#6- My max. distance is around 15 miles a couple of years ago. I have however, done a couple presidential traverses 20 something miles each.

#7- I don't haul ass, at least I don't think I do. I run alone, I ran 5 miles in 40 min. last week, prolly coulda ran a  faster but I forgot my tunes and I pretty much forced my self to run.

I don't know, seems like you covered it pretty well. But, there are some other mofo's here that can help you WAY more then me.

dude, since you modified it a bit, I can definitely help. It seems as if your racing all the time, trying to haul ass everywhere. Don't do that you'll injure yourself, speed and stamina will come in time, just be cool.

#artbydmcbride

How often do you nap?

Runners run

I do not do it more than once a week generally. < This will be problematic in the future.

That's a damn good question Ileneforward.

mikeymike

What other things that I did not include here which should be thought about?

It's not clear yo me why any of this should be thought about.

If you don't race then why does it matter if you're getting faster? And more importantly how would you even know?

Runners run

hectortrojan

It's not clear yo me why any of this should be thought about.

If you don't race then why does it matter if you're getting faster? And more importantly how would you even know?

Seems like you are joking when you are asking these questions!

Why do you think getting faster matters only if I wear a bib?

mikeymike

I'm not joking. Why do think racing requires wearing a bib?

Runners run

hectortrojan

My bad. I should have said I do not wear a bib. I will correct the original post.

Lemme handle this mikeymike. Trojan man, I think what my man mikeymike is axin' is why do you care about any of that non-sense if you're not racing. If you're not racing, there prolly isn't much to think about, just run and have a good time. If you want to track your progress, use an app, Run Keeper, or Map my run are two really good ones.

I was gunna add more to the post but my lady friend stopped by, and well, ya know. I got side tracked.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Because we drool?

Cyberic

Sorry for hopping in like that, but I'm surprised by that question. Whatever I do, I try to get better, even if I don't compete. If I started drawing, I'd try to improve even if I ddin't plan on entering a contest. For a while, I was playing music, alone in my house, and I was trying to improve. When I started running, I was not planning on ever entering a race. My point was why enter a race if I don't think I can win it? I've changed my mind about that since. But I still was timing myself on specific routes and trying to constantly improve my times on ackward distances like 4 laps around the park.

mikeymike

But I still was timing myself on specific routes and trying to constantly improve my times on ackward distances like 4 laps around the park.

In other words, racing.

Runners run

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

If you want to go longer, stop racing every run and quit thinking speedwork is the only key.

Are you doing long runs to build endurance to go longer?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Cyberic

In other words, racing.

If you see racing in that broader sense, yeah, it would be pretty hard to measure improvement without at least a watch and a fixed course length.

And now I understand your question: why do you think racing requires a bib?