Sorry my life is so much more bitchin than yours (Read 2022 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am interested in Sheenmania, less what it says about him, more what it says about us.

Why are we transfixed by Sheen at this historical moment?

Answers, please.

Cuz it is a rich source of excellent comedy, and laughter is good medicine.

Jeff, I check the thread to see what my RA peeps are saying/joking about.  I don't recognize any of the Sheen-isms, and I know of Sheen's antics/problems only what people have posted in this thread.

That doesn't answer your question, I guess, but it does explain how at least one person can be in this thread without giving a crap about Charlie Sheen's current situation.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

an amazing likeness

As uncaring as it is, I'm simply enjoying the spectacle that is orbiting him. I don't care if he's an addict or not, getting better or not, he's purely entertainment to me.  A attention whore a-hole, doing stupid things, polluting other attention whores....its fun to watch.  Who can have empathy for any of them?  There are better uses of my empathy to help those in my community.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Why is it sideways?

Cuz it is a rich source of excellent comedy, and laughter is good medicine.

Too general. I want to know why we think THIS is the funny thing we know about instead of the one million other funny things that are happening that we don't know about.

Prince of Fatness

Okay, tater, you are writing on the thread. Which means you check the thread. You know who Sheen is and what his problems are. I bet you even recognize the phrase "tiger's blood." If you are not transfixed, then certainly your attention has been drawn, perhaps unwillingly, to ruminate on the behavior of one person out of a possible 6 billion people to ruminate about.

I feel like you: I couldn't give a shit. But here I am having finally succumbed posting on a thread about Charlie Sheen when I haven't even for a second considered watching his show.

WHY?

Actually, I don't have a lot of interest in this thread.  I posted because you asked a question, a question that implied that most were fixated on the guy's situation (I am not sure that you are wrong).  Maybe I wanted to bring attention that not everyone is fixated on it.  I don't know.

And yeah, it's hard not to know about this.  The media is all over it.  And I am sure that the attention that this guy is getting is making it even worse for him.  Best thing to happen would be for everyone to leave him alone, but that will never happen because it is a story.

And I really don't recognize the phrase "tiger's blood".

As for why the fixation, I couldn't tell you.

I look at that guy and I see emptiness.  Like I said, real sad.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

Jeff, I check the thread to see what my RA peeps are saying/joking about.  I don't recognize any of the Sheen-isms, and I know of Sheen's antics/problems only what people have posted in this thread.

That doesn't answer your question, I guess, but it does explain how at least one person can be in this thread without giving a crap about Charlie Sheen's current situation.

But that's how everyone found out about it, obviously. It's the Meme of the day. No one woke up and said hey "wonder what the fuck ole Charles is up to today." No one even wanted to know. AND YET WE KNOW.

Ostrich runner

Relatable and quotable famous character trainwreck with high meme density. That's about it. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Why is it sideways?

I look at that guy and I see emptiness.  

See Tater, I think you are the norm in this. Everyone is looking at it while being sort of horrified that they are looking at it. No one wants to be interested, but here they all are reading this thread.

Why do we all want to shamefully stare at emptiness and be saddened by it and then pretend that we weren't looking at it.

MrH

I am interested in Sheenmania, less what it says about him, more what it says about us.

Why are we transfixed by Sheen at this historical moment?

Sheenmania in our household is this guy. Who are you talking about?

I think I posted it in a thread in the GSP already and I'm actually curious about why Charlie Sheen's behavior is a disgrace, but a writer (say HST) or rock musician, would be admired for it. Why do we accept this from those we consider creative artists, but TV actors or other public figures have to behave differently.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Why is it sideways?

Relatable and quotable famous character trainwreck with high meme density. That's about it. 

Gawd, no one gets the question.

Obviously he is relatable and quotable -- this is the fact. I want to know what makes him relatable and quotable instead of invisible and forgettable. Again: I am asking about US, not him.

Prince of Fatness

Why do we all want to shamefully stare at emptiness and be saddened by it and then pretend that we weren't looking at it.

I am not sure that you are right here.  Honestly, like CliveFenster I skim most of the active threads just to see what's going on.  I really haven't paid much attention to this one, but I saw your question and posted.

I am not sure I get your question here.  Who's pretending?  How can you not look at it?  It is shoved in our faces (and I don't mean just this thread).  I'd be more concerned about the people that look for it.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

dennrunner

I like the color red. I don't know why I like the color red. But I still like the color red even though I don't know why I like the color red.

Ostrich runner

Gawd, no one gets the question.

Obviously he is relatable and quotable -- this is the fact. I want to know what makes him relatable and quotable instead of invisible and forgettable. Again: I am asking about US, not him.

That people relate to craziness and addictedness and are as suggestible as always. I don't think the answer is as meaningful as you want.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum