Sorry my life is so much more bitchin than yours (Read 2022 times)

Why is it sideways?

Jeff, are you really trying to figure out why people act in herds and why people respond to certain humorous stimuli when borne in a community than others?  

No, I am trying to figure out why people are fascinated by Charlie Sheen, you silly man.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nobody is fascinated by CS.  They are fascinated by the scree.  And deeply amused by the words and all the media that has been produced.  I suspect part of this is the tail wagging the dog too, per the above Yahoo home page comment.

xor

It's not how long you make it, it's how you make it long.

(old cigarette commercials never disappoint when it comes to "unintentional" references)

L Train

I think most of us are unhappy with our lot in life to some degree.  We take a certain amount of glee in finding out that someone who seemingly has it all can be such an eff up.  It makes us feel better about ourselves.  Duh. 

Ostrich runner

The more I watch, the more I think he is right. He is winning. He is eccentric, sure, but that isn't new. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

The problem is, your brains aren't able to process him.

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)

Dave

No, I am trying to figure out why people are fascinated by Charlie Sheen, you silly man.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Why is it sideways?

This is a general answer, not a specific answer. It's like saying that the reason the earth takes 365 days to go around the Sun is gravity.

I specified ad nauseam (and in the very post that you replied to) that I was looking for a specific answer, not the general one.

But I guess the internet is not really the place you go for specific answers.

So if you look up "morbid curiousity" you find another expression for it, "trainwreck syndrome".

So what is morbid curiosity?

I think with Sheen we are on the edge of our seats, watching those interviews, with a sort of tension you don't get from watching Oprah interview Kiristie Alley or whoever.  The tension comes from not being able to predict at all, what he is going to say, how outrageous it might be, how uncomfortable it might be as you realize he might be sicker than you expected.

Kind of like being in a cafe and overhearing an argument start up, you would be suddenly alert, suddenly tense and unable to avoid listening in.

I think it is all in the tension, and we are designed to tune into tense situations for survival reasons.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Menace to Sobriety

I don't know about  women, but I suspect  most men are because they all know down deep in the darkest recesses of their souls, the only difference between them and Charlie Sheen is merely access.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

dennrunner

But I guess the internet is not really the place you go for specific answers.

I told you I (we) like red. You're pumping a dry well. Or maybe it just needs more priming.

Why is it sideways?

I'm done priming. The show is over. It was fun while it lasted. Thanks to all who participated.

#artbydmcbride

I also like red.  But I like green best.   Smile

Runners run

xor

Fired from Two and a Half Men today.

DAMMIT ALL TO HELL