its not a running gadget, but still......... (Read 867 times)

ITS COOL!! I got an underwater digital camera from Olympus (not sure what model it is off-hand). I finally got to use it this weekend at the Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos. its awesome!!! I got the one that only goes 10ft deep but i think it will be perfect for me. the next trip will be in maui while we are snorkeling in may. Maybe by then I can actually figure out how to post some pics. anyone else have something like this??? soooo much fun - i never knew how ugly my face is underwater. i will have to work on this.....
      I have a Pentax Optio somethingorother waterproof camera. Got it for fishing primarily. I run with it sometimes. Great fun.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've seen some video done with a point-n-shoot that can go underwater...they were surprisingly crisp. How much does something like that go for? That would be a fun option on a point-n-shoot. Ours is a POS and I'd like something better the next time around.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

i think mine was only lik,e $300 and i bought it not too long ago....its a cool orange color too - not that boring silver that they all seem to be. i just uploaded a new pic and avatar from it. i am testing it to see if it works...
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Neat, I will have to look for something like that. I always liked the little Olympus film cameras we had. I have not been nearly as pleased with small Canon cameras (though their SLRs are always excellent--film and digital).

~ Sarah Kay

hahaha I did it! Check out my new pic in my profile.....I feel like i should be on one of those mcdonald's cups where everyone was getting splashed. Big grin
                I have a Pentax Optio somethingorother waterproof camera. Got it for fishing primarily. I run with it sometimes. Great fun.
                i've got this one. have some great shots on it - both still and video - from OH and I swimming in club la santa in lanzarote.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a soft spot for Pentax cameras...my very first camera was an ancient Spotmatic of my grandpa's. I eventually killed it (something went wrong with the shutter curtain).

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah yeah, I have a soft spot for Nikons since they were my first. But for digital, especially point and shoot, Canon has no equal. http://www.dpreview.com/ Great cases for underwater and awesome out of the water.
                      Canons may lead, but I wasn't about to spend another "camera" for the price of a case for a point and shoot. My Pentax was $200something, cheaper at the time than Olympus' waterproof offering. Not sure where prices stand now. I'm quite pleased. Small, rugged and takes great pix. It replaced a Canon point and shoot I had (and a waterproof camera "bag" - can't recall brand) that I lost on a fishing trip. My wife swears I "lost" it so I could get the Pentax. Not true.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Yeah yeah, I have a soft spot for Nikons since they were my first. But for digital, especially point and shoot, Canon has no equal. http://www.dpreview.com/ Great cases for underwater and awesome out of the water.
                        Our A-series (an A60 and an A520) have been pretty craptacular, actually. Lousy focus in particular. did

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Our A-series (an A60 and an A520) have been pretty craptacular, actually. Lousy focus in particular. did
                          Yeah, at least the A-series. If we look at another Canon compact digital camera it won't be one of those. Trent, most of my college work was done with a Nikon FM, then an FM2 when the light meter died in the FM (would have cost almost more to have that repaired). As much as I love my Canons, those manual, fully-metal tanks were awesome...kinda broke my heart to sell my FM2, but I needed autofocus when I started doing wedding work (and, I must admit, I loves me some aperture-priority). Photography students shouldn't even be allowed to learn with cameras that have auto features. I had several classmates that never learned the basics of exposure and depth-of-field because they were always switching over to auto-modes.

~ Sarah Kay

Photography students shouldn't even be allowed to learn with cameras that have auto features. I had several classmates that never learned the basics of exposure and depth-of-field because they were always switching over to auto-modes.
                            spot on zoom....auto is evil....manual is devine..except when you have "must get" shots in little time. Proudly learned on a Minolta SRT202 and prouder owner of 2 Canon A-1s. Sadly looking at switching to digital....
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

spot on zoom....auto is evil....manual is devine..except when you have "must get" shots in little time. Proudly learned on a Minolta SRT202 and prouder owner of 2 Canon A-1s. Sadly looking at switching to digital....
                              Don't be sad switching to digital, really. I have found that there is little difference in the essentials from film to digital--in the long run digital is MUCH cheaper, too. Photoshop is a great alternative to the traditional darkroom. Those classmates of mine who wimped-out on learning manual all pretty much dropped out of the program once we hit the large-format class. That separated the men from the boys, so to speak. No auto features to fall back on.

~ Sarah Kay

I am just looking at going to the poor house to replace my cameras and all the lenses that go with them. Its gonna cost thousands.... Cry 70-210 macro zoom vivitar series I from 1980 (the finest lens I have ever used...) 100-500 zoom 85-135 zoom 28 wide angle 50 f1.4 2x tele converter cokin filter system and two flash units And after many many yeaqrs of waiting, I finally got a B&W darkroom set up and I haven't gotten to use it very much....somehow it doesn't seem natural to sit at a computer and tweak a photo as much as it is being in the darkroom and messing with chemicals, paper and light.... show me some sympathy...sniff sniff....