How much protein? (Read 1721 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Anyone know of a site with guidelines as to how much protein to consume? I mean, I've read that one should consume sufficient protein after a heavy workout or long run. I've also read that the body can only process so much protein at a time, and cannot store more. So that suggests to me that perhaps I should try to consume some amount of protein every so many hours (or some period) -- for the day and following day after a long run?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Creating Your Ultimate Nutritional Recovery Routine
      one gram of carbohydrate for every pound of body weight within the first two hours following your workout, always remembering to match this with the appropriate ratio of protein. For example, if you weigh 100 pounds then you need 100 grams of carbohydrate and 25 grams of protein. If you weigh 160 pounds then you need 160 grams of carbohydrate and 40 grams of protein.
      Usually within 1 hour after the run is best for me. I haven't noticed any immediate difference in taking protein the following day. Amino acids such as citruline from watermelon helps speed recovery. I don't necessarily endorse the above since I try to avoid pre-made shakes.
      And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves. - Spartacus

Scout7

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Thanks guys. I was surprised by the amount of protein (25g per 100lb bodyweight).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The best time to have protein is about 30 minutes right after your workout, so a little lunch meat or tuna or chicken is the best thing, I personally like protein shakes and then follow it up with a meal. I am learning never to overdo it though, and I quit eating protein for breakfast it tends to bog me down.
              I mean, I've read that one should consume sufficient protein after a heavy workout or long run. I've also read that the body can only process so much protein at a time, and cannot store more. So that suggests to me that perhaps I should try to consume some amount of protein every so many hours (or some period) -- for the day and following day after a long run?
              There are a lot of estimates and I liked the MacMillan guidelines. People are often surprised by the amount of protein. Yes, eat food, not too much, mostly plants but don't neglect protein. Makes a big difference in recovery. And, yes, spread it out through the day and have some with every meal. Balance is the name of the game. I eat 5-6 smaller meals per day, each with a balance of protein, good carbs and good fats.