Do you follow a Plan for a Race or DIY? (Read 59 times)

When prepping for a race.....Marathon, HM, 10k, 5k, etc...

Do you follow a race plan, or do your own thing?

Feel free to elaborate/explain your process...

One thought I had about a plan was....leaving an extra week or 2 for say the Marathon....and hitting every workout....in order....vs. skipping a workout and moving on to the next run if for whatever reason you had to miss 1.

300m- 37 sec.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I use a plan as a template but then make tweaks I feel are needed. For example, while a Daniel's plan may say 3 x 1 mile tempo, the book will say use 6 minutes if your tempo pace is slower than 6mm. I also make modifications to his I and R workouts to match my slower paces.

When I've used a Hudson HM plan, I estimated that a 4 mile easy run = 3 minutes, 6= 45 and 8= 1 hour and did those by time to avoind a 90 minute not-easy run.

I used a Pfitz 5k plan last year and really like the concept of prioritizing workouts depending on where you are in the cycle. If I know in advance I will be short for time, it makes it easy to see which run to skip.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I follow a plan in conjunction with my coach, but ultimately I'm responsible since adjustments are often made before I have time to consult with her.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Both. I respect some plans and add in my own unique runs...which I guess makes it DIY.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I use a plan as a template but then make tweaks I feel are needed. For example, while a Daniel's plan may say 3 x 1 mile tempo, the book will say use 6 minutes if your tempo pace is slower than 6mm. I also make modifications to his I and R workouts to match my slower paces.

Someone says Daniels and I show up! I think he says 5 minutes, as 5 minutes is right around lactate threshold for elite/sub-elite runners. So most people take 3x1 mile as 3x5 minutes.

Anyway, regarding this poll, I totally agree. I "follow" Daniels, but tweak a lot of things based upon research I've done on other training aspects where I don't agree with his approach for me.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Someone says Daniels and I show up! I think he says 5 minutes, as 5 minutes is right around lactate threshold for elite/sub-elite runners. So most people take 3x1 mile as 3x5 minutes.

Anyway, regarding this poll, I totally agree. I "follow" Daniels, but tweak a lot of things based upon research I've done on other training aspects where I don't agree with his approach for me.

Maybe it got updated in a later version? The times I remember from the 2nd ediition were 6 minutes for T, 3-5 minutes was a sweet spot for I and 2 minutes max for R.  Intervals can also be shorter with shoterr rests that don't allow your heart rate to drop.

Julia1971

I voted training plan because, for about 80% of my running life, I followed schedules meticulously.  Now, with a lot of races under my belt, I do feel more confident tinkering a bit with the workouts in my preferred plans (Pfitz).

mikeymike

As I generally do when this topic comes back around I voted other because while my training was always heavily Pfitz-based, I made adjustments ranging from minor to quite significant to account for life circumstances, other races I wanted to include, and knowing myself better than a guy on the other side of the world who'd never met me. Just as Pfitz actually intended.

Runners run