Milestone run today, first double digit run! 10 miles.. (Read 1034 times)

I run for Fried Chicken!

Did my first double digit run today at 10 miles! Big grin I felt good and I'm sure I could have gone further. I realize that I need to start fueling during my long runs though. I feel fine during my run but I always feel awful about 30-45mins after my long runs. I felt nauseated and light headed and it didn't go away until I ate. I'm training for a half marathon on Feb 3rd and I'm way ahead of schedule. I'm thinking I might sign up for the Los Angeles marathon in March if my training continues.

Golden Buff

WTG Aaron! You'll fly through the half and be ready for marathons in no time. Keep up the good work. BTW, after my long runs, the first thing I do is down a glass of chocolate milk. Great mix of carbs & protein.
      Curt

Nice work!

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

the first thing I do is down a glass of chocolate milk. Great mix of carbs & protein.
          Yep! Smile Kudos on your first double-digit run! They seem so daunting when a person first starts running, but eventually anything less than 10 is automatically an "easy" run. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congrats, Aaron! Keep on running and you will rock your HM!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Another Passion

Here, here! Way to surpass this milestone Aaron! Keep at it. Wink

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

I'm training for a half marathon on Feb 3rd and I'm way ahead of schedule. I'm thinking I might sign up for the Los Angeles marathon in March if my training continues.
                Well done Aaron. I did my first Half in September and getting through the psychological 10 mile barrier was a seminal moment. Be wary of doing too much too soon though: I think a half marathon in Feb and then a full marathon a month later may be a tall order. A lot depends on your levels of fitness of course but if I were you I would concentrate on getting comfortable with the 13 miles and then doing some speedwork a couple of times a week. That way you can graduate from thinking "I can get round" to "how quick can I get round?". Then think about a full marathon in maybe May when you have had chance to do marathon-specific training. Alternatively, if you are feeling really confident about the longer distance, I suppose you could use the half marathon as a training run as part of your Marathon prep but as I say it depends on how fit you are really. As regards refuelling, on runs of 10 miles or so, I always find it helps to carry a 500ml isotonic sports drink (Lucozade Sport or whatever the equivalent is on your side of the pond, Gatorade or Powerade maybe?) and swig it about half way through. That way you stay hydrated and you get an extry energy rush for the last few miles. Then drink loads of water when you finish.

I run for Fried Chicken!

Thanks everyone. I'm slightly lactose intolerant so I think the chocolate milk might do more harm than good for me. I think I'll have to go get some sports drinks for after my run and maybe start trying those gu's I keep hearing everyone talk about for during my run. Booster: I think you're right about doing a full marathon so soon after a half especially since it'll be my first half. It's wishful thinking on my part but realistically, I should probably hold off.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks everyone. I'm slightly lactose intolerant so I think the chocolate milk might do more harm than good for me.
                    I discovered this about myself after months of having intestinal issues after every long run...I was doing milk with Ovaltine. Now I drink lactose free milk with sugar-free Carnation Instant Breakfast packets, as they don't have any lactose in them. Works great! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Nice job on running your first dime! ---------------------------------------------------- Lactose free Roll eyes Lactose is good for you colon Big grin

Vim

I run for Fried Chicken!

Sometimes my body will handle dairy fine and other times, it'll reject it. There's no real rhyme or reason. I can do ice cream and cheese just fine about 95% of the time but just plain milk doesn't sit well with me. I have friends though who get sick if they even look at cheese or milk. They can't even eat chocolate! I feel sorry for them.
                          Congrats!! My longest run prior to my first half was 10.5, and that was just a week before so you're gonna ROCK your half!!! Way to go.
                          Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
                          Carl A

I'm slightly lactose intolerant so I think the chocolate milk might do more harm than good for me.
                            I'm not LI, but after a long run, nothing tastes better to me than chocolate soy milk. I drink Silk by the pint, sometimes. Great job on the run!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

2008 Philly Trifecta

way to go Aaron!!! Cool

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
                              2008 Philly Trifecta:
                              10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                              Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
                              Philly Marathon-11/23
                              "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"