anyone attempted the David Goggins' 4x4x 48 challege? (Read 183 times)

Seems like a good thing to do during this lock-down, after I learnt that quite a number of people shared the experience on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM4iVjzTkAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHQyiVlpY4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hXftiNdC30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehA0yvnd38k  

Anyone here has attempted it and can share your experience?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's four miles every four hours for 48 hours, apparently.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Never attempted, but I have done long runs on consecutive days, maybe not though for a 48 mile two day total! But I can see doing 12 milers in the mornings and evenings for two days. But if you have to do 4 miles every 4 hours I would think the lack of quality sleep to be the main challenge. I don't think I would like to try!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Two women local to me did it. One was in Western States this year and the other was going to pace her. Seems OKAY if you factor in you can do a 15:00/mi pace and sleep a few hours. Fueling/nutrition would be my biggest concern. Pass out on the couch between 8pm and 5am when you come back from the lap.

Still not something I'm willing to do. The logistics would be interesting to discuss,

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

nika

Not me, but I know someone who did. Fuel does get challenging (I think she got out the phone to order Hamburger delivery to her place already during one of the evening runs to make sure she wouldn't have to wait long for the dinner delivery after coming home ^^). Waking up in the middle of the night gets a lot harder on the second day too.

Apart from the fact that 48miles in 48 hours are super tough on the body, it's also a mental challenge. There are a few things that might help with that. My friend found some fellow runners living nearby and organized to have some company during at least some of the runs; and drove to different places to run once each day, because she got bored running the same neighborhood streets over and over again. And avoided any hills during the last couple of runs ;-)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Never attempted, but I have done long runs on consecutive days, maybe not though for a 48 mile two day total! But I can see doing 12 milers in the mornings and evenings for two days. But if you have to do 4 miles every 4 hours I would think the lack of quality sleep to be the main challenge. I don't think I would like to try!

You could run 4 miles at the start of one 4-hour block and then at the and of the next block and have 6+ consecutive hours to sleep.  Just saying, though I don't think this is for me.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

nika

You could run 4 miles at the start of one 4-hour block and then at the and of the next block and have 6+ consecutive hours to sleep.  Just saying, though I don't think this is for me.

You can? I thought the challenge was to go for a run every 4 hours. My friend did it that way - 1am, 5am, 9am.

In any case, this challenge is also not for me ^^

I am a fan of him.

but he has damaged his body

doing some crazy things

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

You can? I thought the challenge was to go for a run every 4 hours. My friend did it that way - 1am, 5am, 9am.

In any case, this challenge is also not for me ^^

I could be wrong.  If it's as you describe, then the sleep issue certainly is worse.  Feeding a child is about the only good reason I can think of for getting up every four hours and I'm well past that stage of life.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

CalBears

Let the guy work as a full time employee and then we will talk about his "challenges".

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Running 2 miles every 2 hours for 48 hours would be an even more awesome badass challenge. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

No. You can’t. You run 4 miles every four Hours. For 48 hours. Not every 6 hours. Not every other hour. 12am, 4 am, 8 am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm. Repeat. Not 12 am then 6 am then 8 am then 2 pm. Just saying it’s 4 miles every four hours. I don’t think you understand the “challenge” at all.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Resident Historian

Let the guy work as a full time employee and then we will talk about his "challenges".

Ha!  Too true!

A friend did the 24 hour version and enjoyed it, but the 4am run was very... challenging. 
                            48 hours? No thanks.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

He is single with no kids and no job.

This ain’t nothin.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/more-sports/2019/12/04/big-dogs-backyard-ultra-marathon