My cat gets weird when I whistle (Read 877 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

Any time I whistle, or if my wife whistles, like whistling along with a song or just plain whistling, our cat freaks out. Wherever she is in the house, she'll come running over to sit with us and she acts either really concerned, like she thinks we're in pain, or she just doesn't like the noise. Maybe it hurts her ears. Anyway, it's weird. If I'm up at night and can't sleep, i'll whistle and she'll come running to the bed. Not like a whistle to call a dog, more like a sustained single note. Is that weird? Seems weird. Maybe it's weirder that I'm taking the time to post this in the first place.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Maybe when you whistle, you sound like an injured bird.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

keeponrunning

Weird.  My cat comes when I whistle, but that's cause she connects whistling with attention.  She comes when I sing too, which is a pain as I'm a musician and sing a lot.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I had a cat like that too. He would come running up to whoever was whistling with a look on his face that I could only describe as stressed or concerned. I haven't a clue what was going on in his head.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The sound of an oboe in particular seems to distress cats.

My cat just came and sat next to me on my nightstand. I whistled at him but he seems completely non-entertained. He is far more focused on how he will make his move to my lap without me blocking his attempt. Laptop and laptop kitty do not get along.

Ojo

The sound of an oboe in particular seems to distress cats.

In my house, the cats are not bothered by music but you should hear the dogs howling during clarinet, violin, and double base practice!  Unbelievable!

Sara

MM #2929

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My dog is generally quiet as I play my horn, but when I play anything that sounds like a hunting call, he howls along. Smile

My dogs howl for emergency sirens and the answering machine. Sometimes we have to leave them alone for a few days and I think the sound of our voice on the message causes them to call out for attention.

BeeRunB

Catnip+whistling is very interesting

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Laptop and laptop kitty do not get along.

Keyboard Kitty loves all the windows!  He likes to lay there waiting for his daddy person to come home.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Keyboard Kitty loves all the windows!  He likes to lay there waiting for his daddy person to come home.

"No, I will not lay on the $300 scratching post / kitty hotel bed just a few feet away. I will lay on this lumpy, hard, plastic surface and refuse to move until you present me with gifts." - Logical Cat

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

"No, I will not lay on the $300 scratching post / kitty hotel bed just a few feet away. I will lay on this lumpy, hard, plastic surface and refuse to move until you present me with gifts." - Logical Cat

You've been reading Ikky's mind, haven't you?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh roo roooo!

Our dogs also howl along w/the siren on emergency vehicles, and in fact will howl along with US if we feel like howling (note the bassett in my avatar--this was not idly chosen!).

A few years ago, my hub was making a kind of horn-like sound w/ a snorkel (don't even ask...) and the dogs found this quite upsetting also.

My cats get very perplexed and unsettled when I sing.  Not sure why as I'm not that bad.  Honest!  I haven't tried whistling.  Although I suck at whistling, so maybe I should just leave that one alone.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance