2021 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 267 times)

CalBears

No mention of when it ends so it could be all of 2021 or it could be decided to end August 31.

If you are talking about qualifying window for 2022 Boston marathon, I think I already mentioned about it in sub 3 thread, but you could also google Smile - it's in the news section of baa.org:

The qualifying window began on September 1, 2019 and will close at 5:00PM ET on Friday, November 12 [2021]. Qualifiers may submit an application at any point during the registration window.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Bumping.

How are y'all doing?

I'm still training for London and Boston but will likely make a decision by the end of the week on whether I will just do Boston.  The Delta variant, logistics, and increased travel expenses for London are making me anxious, so I may give up my entry.  (I can't defer.)

I'm surprised that we haven't heard a peep from them as far as any changes to how things have been done in the past.  Maybe next week...  In other news, Maurten is the official gel sponsor now so switch to that on your long runs if you're not using it already.  Wink

Did you get the London email update yesterday? I won’t be able to run it this year, but they’ve made a few changes - you need to have a negative lateral flow test to get into the expo. You leave your kitbag at expo and collect at the finish as there’s no bag truck at the start. If you picked up your bib on Wed/Thur (not Fri/Sat) then you’ll need to do another lateral flow test as they’ll be doing random checks when you enter your start pen.

That’s great news that Boston are using Maurten gels as they are bloody amazing, especially for folk who have dodgy stomachs! I used them for my PR marathon in 2019 as well as their drink mix. The texture is thicker than a lot of other gels so probably best to try them out before race day.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Julia1971

Did you get the London email update yesterday? I won’t be able to run it this year, but they’ve made a few changes - you need to have a negative lateral flow test to get into the expo. You leave your kitbag at expo and collect at the finish as there’s no bag truck at the start. If you picked up your bib on Wed/Thur (not Fri/Sat) then you’ll need to do another lateral flow test as they’ll be doing random checks when you enter your start pen.

That’s great news that Boston are using Maurten gels as they are bloody amazing, especially for folk who have dodgy stomachs! I used them for my PR marathon in 2019 as well as their drink mix. The texture is thicker than a lot of other gels so probably best to try them out before race day.

I didn't get the email but saw the discussion about the changes on social media...  Someone on FB is trying to get a movement going to pressure the race into putting a testing kiosk at the expo.  I know I wouldn't have a clue about where to go for a COVID test in a foreign city.  Although, I suppose I could ask someone at my hotel.

I like Maurten, especially the flavor, so I'm happy about the switch.  But, my local running store was sold out of the regular when I went this past weekend, so I bought the caffeinated instead.  Hopefully, they'll get more in so I can have it for my final long runs.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I didn't get the email but saw the discussion about the changes on social media...  Someone on FB is trying to get a movement going to pressure the race into putting a testing kiosk at the expo.  I know I wouldn't have a clue about where to go for a COVID test in a foreign city.  Although, I suppose I could ask someone at my hotel.

I like Maurten, especially the flavor, so I'm happy about the switch.  But, my local running store was sold out of the regular when I went this past weekend, so I bought the caffeinated instead.  Hopefully, they'll get more in so I can have it for my final long runs.

I’m sure your negative Covid test for flying would be good for getting into the expo and another test before the race won’t be a problem so don’t be put off. If you’ve run Boston multiple times then aim for London as it’s an amazing event. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

If you are talking about qualifying window for 2022 Boston marathon, I think I already mentioned about it in sub 3 thread, but you could also google Smile - it's in the news section of baa.org:

The qualifying window began on September 1, 2019 and will close at 5:00PM ET on Friday, November 12 [2021]. Qualifiers may submit an application at any point during the registration window.

Totally missed all this information. Thanks. Any idea when registration/application opens for the newest one? Apparently I don't get the notifications.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Totally missed all this information. Thanks. Any idea when registration/application opens for the newest one? Apparently I don't get the notifications.

Oh, come on man - it just few messages above - from me to you Smile It opens on Monday Nov 8 2021 and closes on Friday Nov 12 2021.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Oh, come on man - it just few messages above - from me to you Smile It opens on Monday Nov 8 2021 and closes on Friday Nov 12 2021.

not in this thread. The actually information being shared by the BAA. Thanks for the registration info. I was expecting September because I thought it was the "normal" application date. I guess it makes sense to wait until the end of the qualifying window. Seriously, I haven't had a single email about this so I'm assuming it's all facegram sharing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CalBears

not in this thread. The actually information being shared by the BAA. Thanks for the registration info. I was expecting September because I thought it was the "normal" application date. I guess it makes sense to wait until the end of the qualifying window. Seriously, I haven't had a single email about this so I'm assuming it's all facegram sharing.

No, all this information I received to my email address. Not sure why you are not getting anything.

Running Problem

Problem Child

No, all this information I received to my email address. Not sure why you are not getting anything.

Me either. I made an account and thought I received the last ones but who knows.  Thankfully I have you to help me out.

VDOT 53.37 

AceHarris

Supposedly, if your qualifying time was between -7:27 and -7:46, you got a late invite. Speculation is these are sponsor bibs. Then some people that signed up for the virtual (and qualified) were also offered bibs. Speculation is these are leftover or returned charity bibs. How much you beat your BQ time didn't matter (someone with a -7:22 did not get an invite, someone minus a minute did get an invite).

This all happened middle of last week. Who knows, if international runners can't make it (which is likely), maybe they'll do it again.

I got an email on August 2nd offering me late entry into Boston. I was BQ - 7:42.  I ended up emailing the marketing director to verify the initial email I received because I'd never heard of BAA doing anything like this (not that anything is normal this year anyway). She verified it was true. She said John Hancock was offering some entries to people "within seconds" of the cutoff. They gave you a week to accept your entry. I accepted whole-heartedly. Now let's hope this thing happens.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I got an email on August 2nd offering me late entry into Boston. I was BQ - 7:42.  I ended up emailing the marketing director to verify the initial email I received because I'd never heard of BAA doing anything like this (not that anything is normal this year anyway). She verified it was true. She said John Hancock was offering some entries to people "within seconds" of the cutoff. They gave you a week to accept your entry. I accepted whole-heartedly. Now let's hope this thing happens.

that's awesome. hope it happens and good luck!

Running Problem

Problem Child

congratulations.

VDOT 53.37 

Julia1971

And...  I caught COVID!  Thankfully, I was vaccinated and seem to be having a relatively mild case of it.  (Symptoms started Monday.  Mostly two days of a very high fever.)  I'm trying not to think too far ahead and just focusing on getting healthy but...  and, I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful because I know so many others have died from this virus or have had lingering effects...  the timing of this really sucks.

mikeymike

And...  I caught COVID!  Thankfully, I was vaccinated and seem to be having a relatively mild case of it.  (Symptoms started Monday.  Mostly two days of a very high fever.)  I'm trying not to think too far ahead and just focusing on getting healthy but...  and, I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful because I know so many others have died from this virus or have had lingering effects...  the timing of this really sucks.

Ugh! Sorry to hear, Julia. I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Runners run

Julia1971

Ugh! Sorry to hear, Julia. I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Thank you so much!  I feel well enough to telework today, which is promising.