2021 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 267 times)

AceHarris

Ace When I saw your time, and looked over your weekly mileage I was just blown away. You're crazy talented! I wish I could run a 2:53 on 45-50 mpw. Any plans to do NYC or Chicago? I think after I run Boston once, or twice, I'll take an extended break from the marathon.

RP, thanks! I'd like to increase mileage and see what I can do. It took me a while to break 3:00 and I never thought I'd be trying to run in the 2:40s, but maybe one day. I have a history of injuries, but feel like I'm getting a better grasp on listening to my body so maybe I'll be able to up the mileage and stay healthy. I use a coach and we're meeting next week to discuss future goals/races. I'm running Napa in march mainly because my brother lives there, but it's a fast course as far as I understand.  I may go for NY next Fall.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Ace - I can't remember you full history, but have you ever averaged something like 70+ for a cycle? You're running similar times to me on mileage, and I think if you start getting into high mileage (or real high mileage, like Keen does in the sub 3 thread), you could easily get sub 2:45.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

AceHarris

Ace - I can't remember you full history, but have you ever averaged something like 70+ for a cycle? You're running similar times to me on mileage, and I think if you start getting into high mileage (or real high mileage, like Keen does in the sub 3 thread), you could easily get sub 2:45.

JMac - my highest average mileage in a marathon cycle is around 55 MPW.  This entire cycle I ran 5 days a week. Mostly due to having 3 small kids and my spouse works and exercises regularly as well. Perhaps the rest allowed me to better recovery and respond to the training stress.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Julia1971

Julia - when you were invited to London marathon by Abbott, what age place you were at? What Nationality place? Do you remember by any chance? Thank you!

Let's see...  I got my invitation in November 2019, so I would have been in the 45-49 AG.  Here's what I wrote at the time:

From what I found online, there were 85 slots for my age group (45-49).  I was ranked 159th in my age group last year using Abbott's system based on my times at the 2018 New York City Marathon and the 2019 Boston Marathon was offered a spot during the second round of invitations.

I'm from the United States...  I think I saw a post on the FaceBook page asking about whether people were ranked and invited by country.  I don't think they were.  The post getting the most likes in response to that question is this one:

By the age group all countries from fastest to the slowest. The only guaranteed invite goes to "the highest scores Men - Women in all age groups in each country gets automatic invitation." Meaning if you are from Country of Apple, both 1 MAN and 1 WOMAN with the highest point (top 1st in man-woman from that country) in all age categories (meaning not EACH age group but OVERALL highest point) are invited. Rest global speed competition.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - my highest average mileage in a marathon cycle is around 55 MPW.  This entire cycle I ran 5 days a week. Mostly due to having 3 small kids and my spouse works and exercises regularly as well. Perhaps the rest allowed me to better recovery and respond to the training stress.

Make sense. I struggle mightily with injuries as well. My last cycle (where I got my 2:36) is the only cycle where I haven't had one. As you run more though, I find it builds a better base and you get fewer injuries. I am constantly injured when I'm running 40-60 MPW, but almost never at 70-85. Obviously strength work etc. matters, but would be great to see what you can do.

Here was my mileage going into each race (highest 12W average, excluding taper). You may be right in line with this.

3:12 - 37 MPW

2:54 - 53 MPW

2:46 - 59 MPW

2:36 - 72 MPW

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Let's see...  I got my invitation in November 2019, so I would have been in the 45-49 AG.  Here's what I wrote at the time:

From what I found online, there were 85 slots for my age group (45-49).  I was ranked 159th in my age group last year using Abbott's system based on my times at the 2018 New York City Marathon and the 2019 Boston Marathon was offered a spot during the second round of invitations.

I'm from the United States...  I think I saw a post on the FaceBook page asking about whether people were ranked and invited by country.  I don't think they were.  The post getting the most likes in response to that question is this one:

By the age group all countries from fastest to the slowest. The only guaranteed invite goes to "the highest scores Men - Women in all age groups in each country gets automatic invitation." Meaning if you are from Country of Apple, both 1 MAN and 1 WOMAN with the highest point (top 1st in man-woman from that country) in all age categories (meaning not EACH age group but OVERALL highest point) are invited. Rest global speed competition.

Julia - thank you so much for your response! Wow - 700 invitations total - that's quite a lot. Your answer gave me some hope - so far I positioned pretty good in the list and might even get better if I run CIM well. That would be my only chance to sneak into London marathon (which is next year's Age Group championship again). Again - thank you!

btw, what is the facebook group name - just that bog one "Abbott World Marathon Majors" or some other group?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Julia1971

Julia - thank you so much for your response! Wow - 700 invitations total - that's quite a lot. Your answer gave me some hope - so far I positioned pretty good in the list and might even get better if I run CIM well. That would be my only chance to sneak into London marathon (which is next year's Age Group championship again). Again - thank you!

btw, what is the facebook group name - just that bog one "Abbott World Marathon Majors" or some other group?

Yes, I thought it was going to be a good opportunity to get into London, too, and then I caught COVID.  Sad

The FB group is "Official AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Championships".  It's by invitation only.  I'm expecting them to kick me out any day now.  Especially since I carped the week before about how unfair it was that I couldn't have a friend pick-up my bib, back-bib, and shirt.  In the end, I spent $386 and got absolutely nothing from it but the plastic gear check bag that they shipped.  I know things worked differently this year but it still bothers me that they wouldn't even respond to the threads from me and another similarly situated person about picking up the stuff.

CalBears

Yes, I thought it was going to be a good opportunity to get into London, too, and then I caught COVID.  Sad

The FB group is "Official AbbottWMM Wanda Age Group World Championships".  It's by invitation only.  I'm expecting them to kick me out any day now.  Especially since I carped the week before about how unfair it was that I couldn't have a friend pick-up my bib, back-bib, and shirt.  In the end, I spent $386 and got absolutely nothing from it but the plastic gear check bag that they shipped.  I know things worked differently this year but it still bothers me that they wouldn't even respond to the threads from me and another similarly situated person about picking up the stuff.

Yeah, that's disappointing - after paying such a hefty registration price, I would really expect to have at least something like t-shirt and some memorabilia from the marathon. In their defense though, I think Boston also didn't allow to pick anything for October's marathon by family and friends - at least it was said so in their Guide. Not sure, maybe there was a way to get some stuff, but FAQ was saying No, only registered participant.

Julia1971

Yeah, that's disappointing - after paying such a hefty registration price, I would really expect to have at least something like t-shirt and some memorabilia from the marathon. In their defense though, I think Boston also didn't allow to pick anything for October's marathon by family and friends - at least it was said so in their Guide. Not sure, maybe there was a way to get some stuff, but FAQ was saying No, only registered participant.

My irritation is that they wouldn't just reply and tell us.  They responded to all kinds of questions on the FB page but this one went unanswered despite the fact that someone else asked after I did so there were two threads asking.  And, the London Marathon did allow other people to pick up your bib:

UNABLE TO ATTEND THE VIRGIN MONEY LONDON MARATHON RUNNING SHOW?
                    While we prefer you to drop off your kitbag and pick up your bib number in person, we recognise that in some cases this may be impossible. In this instance, please nominate someone to drop off your kitbag and collect your bib number for you.

But, I didn't want my friend to have to argue with the Wanda people so I didn't ask her to try to pick up either.

Julia1971

Calbears, I'll also add, in case this matters, this year, they included the UK Good for Age runners in the Wanda Championship results.  So, if you are gunning to place in the "championship", unless they change the rules for next year, be advised you might be competing against all UK runners in your age group.  The FB Wanda group was very upset to learn this when the results came out.

CalBears

Calbears, I'll also add, in case this matters, this year, they included the UK Good for Age runners in the Wanda Championship results.  So, if you are gunning to place in the "championship", unless they change the rules for next year, be advised you might be competing against all UK runners in your age group.  The FB Wanda group was very upset to learn this when the results came out.

Thanks Julia! All I can do is to do my best - if it doesn't happen, so be it - it's not in my control. But so far I am doing fine - there are still few races this year, so, my position can definitely go down, but I am in top 20 currently in my AG Smile and there are UK runners in the list but most of them are lower in position than me - maybe many fast GBR runner just didn't apply to this Championship?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And everyone who qualified gets into Boston this next year.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I'm in, for the third time, and hoping to actually run it for the first time! I think I had enough cushion regardless but I was worried everyone would apply and the cut-off might be bonkers. Guess I was way wrong and happy I was.

delicate flower

I am very excited that I got in.  When I submitted my application with my 67 second buffer, I did so under the assumption that I'd miss the cutoff, but I had the qualifying time so I figured why the hell not at least try.  I've qualified five times (six counting 2023) and this will be my second time actually running it.

<3

Running Problem

Problem Child

And everyone who pplied gets into Boston this next year.

Fixed it for ya. 

Personally, I think it's because a lot of peole didn't apply, because they didn't want ot run Boston again 6 months later. I hope in 2023 they're back to a normal marathon with charity runners. I don't personally agree with their COVID 19 vaccination mandate, because they're not at a full capacity event. If you require the vaccine for safety and to "stop the spread" then open it up to 60,000 runners. If you're reducing the capacity and doing rolling starts for the same reasons you did in 2021, then have the same requirements, and let people risk missing out on their Boston Marathon because they don't want to get a vaccine and ended up being asymptomatic 3 days before race day. Kind of an expensive gamble.

EDIT: I'm in. For my first time ever. I had a BQ-5:50 and my first ever sub 3 because when the times for 2020 were announced I was mid-cycle and the cutoff was something like 3:30 so BQ-5/Sub-3 became the only option. I joked with myself that all my extra credit was unnecessary as everyone would receive the same passing grade.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22