First 5k this Saturday--do I have everything covered? (Read 653 times)

1. Number goes in front 2. Start out at the back of the pack 3. Don't start out too fast, and do pace myself throughout race 4. Don't try out a new style of shorts, shoes, or anything for the first time Oh, and everyone also says to have fun. Is that pretty much it?
      Try to pass people Smile
        I'll try! Cool

My legs are killing me

Don't drink too many fluids before the race. It's not too much fun being at the starting line and having to pee Big grin
            After the race is over congratulate the runner who finished just ahead/behind you. It is good to get to know fellow runners who are at your speed level and what kind of training they are doing etc. The mob of runners should pull you through the 1st kilometer almost like you are riding a wave. It will probably seem slow at first as it will be congested but be greatful...this early slow pace may save you because the last kilometer will be a bit tougher.

Another Passion

"Have fun" should be #1. When your exhausted at the end of the race, run harder. Good luck!

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Bring a roll of toilet paper. Seriously. 'Cause I've been to races where they've run out.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Greatest of All Time

After the race is over congratulate the runner who finished just ahead/behind you.
                  Always a must.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

uncontrollable

You got it - enjoy!

peace

Thanks, everyone!
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

After the race is over congratulate the runner who finished just ahead/behind you.
                        Just be careful if her name is Candice.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

It would have been nice if I'd managed to say congrats to the people around me but I was so happy from finishing that I didn't remember to do anything. I even left my t-shirt behind (I'm emailing to see if there are any left over Smile) You know that you can run the distance now enjoy doing it. I know I did. Visit the restroom before starting. Then visit again.

Another Passion

Just be careful if her name is Candice.
                            Big grin

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Running Dad

1. Number goes in front 2. Start out at the back of the pack 3. Don't start out too fast, and do pace myself throughout race 4. Don't try out a new style of shorts, shoes, or anything for the first time Oh, and everyone also says to have fun. Is that pretty much it?
                              Just because it's your first doesn't mean you have to line up in the back... Believe me that you'll get there and start wondering who's faster/slower than you and before you know it you're in the back because you didn't give yourself enough credit. Take a chance, live a little, line up somewhere mid to back. Some people run better when they're chased!!! Tongue
                              Things to do this year:
                              Not get an injury
                              Things done this year:
                              Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??

Prince of Fatness

I'll add a couple. Leave yourself plenty of time to get to the race, find parking, hit the porta potties, etc., especially if it's a large race. It's better to be a little early and hang out than it is to be all stressed out because you are late. Write an emergency contact name and phone number on the back of your bib. And like you said .... have fun. Good luck.

Not at it at all.