I'm so frustrated right now. (Read 1448 times)

Double IPA Please!

It seems very apparent to me that most of my easy runs that I have been doing are too fast. I decided to wear my hrm out today since going by feel is not working for me (purely mental Im sure) and I went nice and easy and stayed at about 83% on my hrm- however, that pace to me was easy any slower and I mine as well walk. Undecided I felt good and could have ran however long at that pace (which is the way it should be for an easy pace- correct?) Which brought me doing just over 8 miles today at a horrid pace. Tight lipped I felt so defeated because the whole damn time I just wanted to run faster because I could not wrap my narrow brain around easy is easy..not kinda fast, not faster than fast but slower than race pace, but easy. It felt frustrating to me to know that all this time most of my runs have probably been a Tempo pace for me. The thing Is I never really felt burned out after my runs and always felt good and never felt like I was gasping for air while running those runs so I always assumed those where my slow easy runs, but if you look at my race time my pace is not that much different than my presumed easy runs. kwim? However, I did a mock 5k the other week and my pace was something like 9 something. Im too lazy to go back and look- so should I base my paces on that race time if I go by McMillan? My husband swears Im overthinking everything too much,but I want to be sure that I am doing this right. Prior to this I would just run to run, but now that I want to race it seems that everything has a time and place. Sad

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

This is exactly where I'm at. I know my easy pace isn't easy enough and I'm really struggling to bring it down some. I was just thinking about it this morning. I have a hm but never wear it, maybe I'll try that too. Anyway, not much advice, but you're not alone. Best, Jill, also a mom to three
      Lookin' back at my background, tryin' to figure out how I ever got here...
        if you have a HRM why not base your paces on that? If you have been running too fast and never really ever ran easy then your areobic fitness is probably not in line with your anaerobic fitness (SP)... think of it this way. You have an area you have identified as week. And the thing is the training to improve it is very laid back and easy and you can get some nice gains from it.

Double IPA Please!

Here is the thing, is it really too fast if I feel okay whilst running? That is what I am getting confused/stuck on. All those runs in my log that I have as easy- where not hard runs and my tempo runs where faster than those runs-BUT according to my heart rate if I were to run those speeds it would probably have me in the 85-90% range BUT they never really felt that hard. I might just have to have a re-do and find out what my Max Rate really is, I think I am higher than what my hrm is telling me I am. Am I a pain in the ass or what?? I need to find where someone posted a good way to find your max I know I read it here awhile back.. Jill- That is the thing- I really struggled trying to bring my pace down and I really had to focus and needed to keep looking at my monitor on my hrm. Hey- whatcha drinkin' in your cup? Tongue

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

I wish I could zone out, all the time. The pace I run at while, zoned out, I consider my easy pace. Someday's there may be as much as a 20 second per kilometer difference. Well some days are better than others, so my easy pace does vary. If you can zone out at a certain pace, it would have to be considered easy I would think.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

what are you using for your HR max?
                Here is the thing, is it really too fast if I feel okay whilst running? ...
                Maybe. The way to tell for sure would be a good VO2 test where you get Respiratory Quotient (RQ) aka Respiratory Exchange Ratio (RER) as a function of Heart Rate (HR). Other than that, you can try various formulas - I tried 5 and got different training HR/zones from each, so I picked one in the middle and it worked ok for me. Check out the Low HR Training user group. A sticky thread with "boilerplate" in the title will have some stuff from Mr "formationflier", and there is a wealth of info in his FAQ about this. A case in point is me. After taking over 3 month off I started up in mid-Feb again. It was hard/impossible for me to run continuously at my most-fat-calories-burned-per-hour point, where I'm burning 80% fat and 20% carbs. I would run until the HR went above a bit and then walk until it came back down below a bit. It was discouraging. A couple weeks later I was walking less and spending more hours on the road/trails. Three weeks after that I had more than doubled my hours and did a 3+ hour run at my target HR with no walking at all - the HR just stabilized there and stayed steady. Also, my per-mile pace at that HR had gone down by over 1 min/mile. It is still going down. If it goes down at that low HR, it will go down at higher HRs once a little faster running gets thrown into the mix. So if you give it a try, don't get too discouraged at first. Maybe it will work for you too... Good running, Gino

Double IPA Please!

I am using a Polar Heart Rate Monitor and you fill in your information and it gives you a min and a max (on the Polar is gives my training zones to be 120-157, but at one point I was at 161 today and it certainly did not feel like my max even then) - but I realize there are so many variables in one's min and max that this Polar is just an estimate- Thats why I think I should do a test to figure out what my real number is. I recall reading somewhere here where it was explained how to do it, I just have to find it. I also need to figure out my resting which I will start tomorrow morning and do a 3 day average to get that.

skinnycaponesugar

Denise, I'm in a similar situation since I wore my HRM for the first time yesterday. I went out for my longer run and pretty soon the alarm was going off, and so it did about half way. I turned it off on my way back because I was having to walk at a normal pace to keep it down Roll eyes . On my way back I was keeping my HR below 150 at my normal pace. The difference between your runs and mine is that I'm sure I'm not going too fast. When I got home I was frustrated as well, so I searched for something to read on this site and I came across this article:
                      http://www.rrca.org/resources/articles/slowdown.html
                    it does put my training HR at 144, I can do that, but I cannot do 132 unless I'm just going for a stroll. There is more information and discussion in the Low HR Training group, which I'll be checking out:
                      http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR/
                    Gotta go, back I'll be back, Big grin

Love, Run, Sleep

Double IPA Please!

Thanks Gino- I am going to head over there- I went over there yesterday and starting tooling around but ran out of time, I will go back and try and figure this all out. All I want is to find/figure out where in the heck I should be. I have another race next month so I don't want to jump into lhrt right now- maybe in the winter I could try that route, but like I said, I really want a baseline.

Double IPA Please!

Thanks Chickadee, I will look at those articles later on tonight. So you said on your way back on your run you were able to run at your normal pace and keep your hr where it should be without having to stop and walk?

wow, glad I have never bothered with a HRM, who needs the stress? Not I. Not you. An easy run is totally subjective, you know what feels "easy" when you run and what feels tempo, just go with the flow according to how you are feeling on an easy run, don't worry too much about it, but having to run sluggishly and walk just to make it an easy run(according to HRM) is unnecessary and stripping you of the feel good running gives you in the first place. relax. Smile

Double IPA Please!

It's not that I am using it as the be all and end all. My recent race time just had me thinking about it is all. I had to wonder if I really am doing myself justice and training properly. I tend to be an over achiever by nature and with running I may be doing the same as well. I train alone. I don't run with anyone and I really have to wonder at times If I am really working to the best of my potential. The thing that really made me think with this race was that my pace seemed to not be too much different than my regular training runs. Which led me to a possible "Aha" moment. OR perhaps I just did not push myself hard enough . This is where finding my training zones comes into play. I only have me to go against and yeah, I can go back and look through my logs to compare, but it still leaves me with a big ol' question mark as to whether or not I maximizing or not. I know, I realize, how do you run wrong? Just freaking run.. Undecided

A. Do check out the Low HR user group. Lots of good info. I've learned a lot from them (dating back to CoolRunning days). B. The problem with arbitrary heart rate zones is that everyone's a little different. Your mas HR may just be higher, which has virtually zero to do with fitness and everything to do with genetics. C. If your "easy" running is close to your "race" pace then something's up (I looked at your log and there seems to be a lot of variation there). I'm just not smart enough to know what. I can tell you that my ez is a solid 2-1/2 minutes per mile slower than my 5k pace. D. I'm kind of a HRM geek. Keep using it and see what happens. Wear it in your next race (do a real one where the adrenaline and crowd bring out your best effort) and see what the values are. You'll get near enough your max HR at the end of a real hard 5k. It's a lot of trial and error. Then at least you'll have a baseline. E. Don't get frustrated. Sometimes, slowing down is harder than speeding up. You need to look long term. I'd expect a minimum 6-8 week investment in easy running to see a payoff. If you have a goal race in the Fall, now would be the time to do lots of easy miles. Just keep enjoying yourself. As the heat picks up, you're only going to get slower anyway. Probably better on your knees too. F. kwim? oh wait, know what I mean, right? I'm so smart.

The Greatest of All Time

My husband swears Im overthinking everything too much
                                I agree. But I am biased. I don't believe in low HR training. It never worked for me. Made me slower. I don't believe in using McMillan or any other person/guru to predict how fast or slow I should run. I just run. Fast if I feel good, slow if not. I don't train in HR zones either. My paces vary in any week from day to day, run to run. I do wear a HRM religiously but only as a feedback mechanism so I can objectively tell how hard I am working because going 100% on feel can sometimes be misleading. My HRM is most valuable when I need to back off and have a higher than normal HR at a given pace. For that purpose alone, I will wear it. You're correct, in that you should vary paces but it will happen naturally if you let it. But don't listen to me. I never read "the book". What's my point? Listen to your body and go with how your legs feel. You need to finish some runs pretty winded if you hope to race faster. Train fast, race fast. Simple. But don't overdo it. You HAVE to incorporate easy days or complete days off. If you're not feeling somewhat tired after a tempo run, it wasn't a tempo run.
                                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.