Running in Phoenix (Read 555 times)

Premoman

I will be in the north Phoenix area for Christmas and looking for a good 12-14 mile run.  Any locals with some good suggestions?

Thanks 

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm not a local but run along one of the canals,  the possibilities are endless.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 20/21 July 2013

Boston Marathon 21 April 2014

Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 19/20 July 2014

wbudde

I used to be local - moved away a few years ago.  I agree with the previous post - the canals are great to run along - pretty peaceful, and generally they have tunnels under roads so you don't have to cross too much traffic.  If you are there for a few days, I would also recommend doing a run up Camelback Mountain and / or Squaw Peak (I think they have renamed that one since I moved away).  Both are in the heart of the city, and provide a great running experience if you are up for the challenge of the climb - it isn't too high, but it is high enough that it will kick your butt, and the payoff of the great view of the city when you get to the top is worth it.

Here's a 10miler I did last year at South Mountain Park.  Could easily exend as far as you want as there are trails galore there.  Highly recommend if you like trail running, though part of the run was on an asphalt road.  Beautiful place to run but if you do a run there be ready for very tough hills and terrain.  Bring water with you.

The canals, Camelback, Squaw Peak are all good choices you may also consider a loop of the Javalina 100(a few miles outside of Phoenix but much better scenery).

Premoman

Thanks for all the suggestions-I plan to hit a couple of them.  Although its been unseasonably warm in Minnesota, looking forward to shorts and t shirt running in AZ.  I hiked both Squaw Peak and Camelback in the past but  I admit I am too much of a wuss to run up them    

xor

The Javelina loop: That's a 15.5 mile loop of something officially called the Pemberton Trail at McDowell Mountain Regional Park.  There's a shortcut trail that bisects the loop if you want a shorter option.  One section is kind of rocky, but lots of it isn't (road shoes are fine).  SUPER pretty.  A bit roly poly, but not super hilly... lots of very runable stuff.  Nothing like Camelbak/CamelBack

Depending on where you are in Phoenix, it'll be a 20-45 minute drive.

I'm back!

I second McDowell Mountain. I'd run there all the time if I lived there.

Saw this too late to help for Christmas but I always try to do either McDowell Mountain or South Mountain.  We vacation there in July so you have to hit the parking lot just as it gets light. Wink

TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff