ipod nano, pros and cons (Read 1210 times)

patarch1

New Haven 08

Hi, I will be the happy owner (gify from GF) of an ipod nano by tomorrow. I would like to know what people think about theirs or others'. What is good about them, what is less good? Thanks Patarch1

200 mile bike trip in three days with sleeping gear and change.

Get the Saturday running club back up.

Run below 8 minutes per mile for 6 miles.

Nanos are nice. I haven't dinked with one much and if I didn't already own two minis I'd probably go for one. I still prefer the mini though, but they're no longer made. Why I prefer the Mini -They are cheap (just check ebay) -Easy to Fix -Easy to upgrade (Compact Flash Drives) -Form Factor -Headphone Jack

Vim

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hi, I will be the happy owner (gify from GF) of an ipod nano by tomorrow. I would like to know what people think about theirs or others'. What is good about them, what is less good? Thanks Patarch1
        My wife has a nano. Loves it. Fantastic screen -- so sharp that despite being smallish, easy to look at and watch video. You can certainly work out with it, but I still think the super cheap clip-on Shuffle is the way to go for that. I suspect you will love the nano.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have a 2nd gen. Nano...for running there really is no advantage when compared to the Shuffle (which I "downgraded" to a month or two ago and don't regret it). The newer Nanos are nice, since one can view video, so for travel that would be pretty sweet.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

patarch1

New Haven 08

I have an imitation of an ipod that I bought for$9.99 (after mail in rebate) at a big box store the screen becomes black with the slightest ray of light and I have been complaining about my fauxpod for too much time any comment on the proprietary file format and the itunes depenancy? patarch1

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

any comment on the proprietary file format and the itunes depenancy? patarch1
              There is no dependency. Buy your songs through Amazon, who sells unrestricted MP3's. Or the iTunes Plus songs (unrestricted AAC's from EMI record label -- the other labels don't let Apple sell unrestricted songs).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

patarch1

New Haven 08

so I can add MP3's to an ipod... Confused

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

so I can add MP3's to an ipod... Confused
                  Yup. iPods have always been able to play MP3's.

patarch1

New Haven 08

neat, so I can keep my library and not worry about swapping my tunes to another format Smile

Buy your songs through Amazon, who sells unrestricted MP3's.
                      Agree Amazon has better prices and a larger library. I still buy the cd and rip it unless the cd is out of print (& out of my price range on the used market). If I am looking for new material to sample then I acquire my music through other avenues on the internet.

Vim

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

neat, so I can keep my library and not worry about swapping my tunes to another format Smile
                        Correct. Now, when you get an iPod and start using iTunes, the default file format iTunes usesfor ripping CD's is AAC. It's unrestricted, and becoming more and more widely embraced (most new non-Apple music players support AAC nowadays), but it's still not as common as MP3. So you may want to change that behavior in iTunes to MP3. AAC is supposedly bit-for-bit better sounding than MP3 (i.e. a 128kbps AAC should sound better than a 128kbps MP3. Haven't really tested this out.

patarch1

New Haven 08

I am actually using Ubuntu and will not use itunes, thanks for the tip though as I am planning to encounter similar nuances with whatever software I use on Ubuntu

Are you a Good Person?

I've had a 1st gen nano for several years now. It has held up really well through a number of marathons, rain, snow, heat. My wife had a 2nd gen nano that broke and wasn't hardly used so I think Apple has quality issues. She now has the new 3rd gen or whatever square video Ipod. I like it alot because you can do video but it's a little too square for running I think. I say this because at times I hold mine in my hand while I run so I can flip through songs. Being longer and not so square is good for that. As far as the format. I use Itunes although I don't like "big brother" Apple running my life. The good part with Itunes is that it will convert any CD over to the ACC apple format. You'll find the ACC files smaller than MP3's generally so your ipod can hold more. I also love Itunes for the pod casts. Try Phedipidations or the Extra Mile Podcast. I listen to hours of Rick Steve's Travel webcast. It's a love hate relationship with Apple but the Ipod is really great. The smaller Shuffle's don't hold as much. If your the type of person that just turns the thing on and doesn't try to navigate around to different songs much the shuffle is for you.
                            Abortion Kills
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The smaller Shuffle's don't hold as much.
                              Even the smaller 1gig one holds like 240 songs, IIRC...at 3 minutes/song that's 12 hours of tunes and more music than a single charge will even play.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

patarch1

New Haven 08

Are there any other places than itunes to get Podcasts?