Raw nipples! (Read 261 times)

OK, I am a guy and when I go on my long runs - 12+ miles, my nipples get super raw and bleed like crazy.

I use astro glide (whatever the deodorant stick looking stuff is called) and cake it on before running, but it seems to wear off.  I live in SC so it is humid as hell and I get drenched.  I wear sweat wicking running shirts.  But it still happens.  Tried bandaids on the nips, but I have a hairy chest and they don't really work.

Is there anything out there (clothing, etc.) that helps prevent this?

Don't carry 10,000 songs in your hand...protect them...

The "stiff" one works best for me...

joescott

duct tape.  (not kidding).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Shirts off yo.

Mmmmm...beer

I prefer to run shirtless, but if you're not comfortable with that, the only thing that I've found that stays put is 3M Durapore medical tape, you can find it in the first aid section of Riteaid or Walgreens.  Don't get an off brand, or a different kind (3M has several types that all end in -pore), I've tried a bunch of different ones and the 3M Durapore is the only one that stayed on (although, duct tape would probably work too, never tried it, but I'd be afraid of how much skin and hair would come off with the tape lol).  Another thing that works is liquid bandage, I used a brand called Second Skin for a while.  You paint on a few layers and it won't come off until you peel it off (kind of like glue).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Prince of Fatness

This thread has potential.

Not at it at all. 

Thanks guys.  Don't know why, not comfortable with shirtless - get so fricking wet in the humidity it's nice having something catch it.  I'll try the tape and liquid bandage.

Don't carry 10,000 songs in your hand...protect them...

The "stiff" one works best for me...

xhristopher

Regular bandaids or Rock Tape.

joescott

(although, duct tape would probably work too, never tried it, but I'd be afraid of how much skin and hair would come off with the tape lol). 

Like the idea of trying the medical tape -- I'll have to check that out.  Regarding the duct tape pulling hair and skin.  Yes.  It pulls a few hairs upon removal, but I've never had it actually peel skin off.  After 26 miles even the duct tape starts to give up and loosen a bit, so the longer the run, the easier it comes off, but I've never had it let go completely.  I've never had good luck with plain old band aids; I guess I sweat too much because they always come off after only a few miles.  Bottom line, if you try the duct tape, just cowboy up a little bit and pull fast when it's time to take it off.  It works great.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

You might also consider your shirt.  I use a form-fitting wool shirt (Icebreaker) in the early summer, coupled with BodyGlide.  This works well for me.  But most of the summer I just go shirtless -- mostly for laundry reasons.

Other tech-materials (aka polyester) rip up my nips -- and they smell horrible after a few uses.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I've heard steri-strips work well too.  Smaller than band-aids and just as sticky.

Or cut the sticky part off both sides of the Band-Aid. Use one side on each side.

(Just make sure you put the left side of the Band-Aid on the left nip, and the right on the right.)

#artbydmcbride

Super tight shirts (like the cycle douches wear) also seem to prevent chafing.

Runners run

TripleBock

I use medical tape - type that they would use to hold down an IV - Stays put for about a week at a time, if you want it to.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

Latent Runner

Simple answer: Band-Aid Clear Spots; they're cheap and they work every time.

http://www.band-aid.com/products/basic-care

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                            • 2-mile: 13:49
                            • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                            • 5-Mile: 37:24
                            • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                            • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                            • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                            cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Simple answer: Band-Aid Clear Spots; they're cheap and they work every time.

http://www.band-aid.com/products/basic-care

These work well.

Also, with your body hair don't try to put the entire bandaid across your nipple.  As you discovered it doesn't work that well.  Take one of the sticky ends of the bandaid, remove it from the rest of the bandage, and just put the smaller piece over the area.  You might need to push some of the hair out of the way to get it to stick.  But once there it shouldn't be a problem.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Just a dude.

I will have to look up the name of the product I use, but I am very similar to the OP. Hairy chest that makes it so things like bandaids just dont really stick.

I use this stuff that looks like rubber cement almost. Second Skin? Something like that. I'll update when I get home tonight...

It's a liquid with a brush inside. I put it on and it usually lasts 3-4 days, through showers and everything...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...