Windows 8 - yes or no? (Read 871 times)

xor

Well, this is all pretty funny, but... nah, I don't think I'll say any more.

Except, what is a MAC?

An address unique to you.

(cryptic version) What the banker never wore in the pouring rain.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Very strange.

an amazing likeness

Throwing a Beatles reference in this young of a crowd is pretty brave...well done, as usual.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

Personally, I don't get the attachment to any specific OS (unless you're an app developer)....if it starts the browser I want to use and has the apps I need and want, and doesn't get in the way...that's all I ask.

This was an interesting read while munching on lunch today....Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability for Both Novice and Power Users

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bhearn

An address unique to you. 

Yes indeed. I will take that answer.

But I believe that's more properly a "mack".

dennrunner

SRL, penny for your thoughts.

Yes indeed. I will take that answer.

But I believe that's more properly a "mack".

Happens to be 00-25-C9-B2-00-07 in my case.

Jeff

xor

A MAC is a big mac.

But we call it le big mac.

Personally, I don't get the attachment to any specific OS (unless you're an app developer)....if it starts the browser I want to use and has the apps I need and want, and doesn't get in the way...that's all I ask.

This was an interesting read while munching on lunch today....Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability for Both Novice and Power Users

Though that might be true for you, there is a real difference in the experience.  In my opinion.  They just don't work the same.  And you have to learn one or the other...or, if you're lucky, both.

Apple pretty much uses one button mouses (mices?), and yes, I know they do allow for multi-button mice, but it's not the norm.  There is a wealth of stuff you can do with right clicking with Windows.  All that stuff is indeed available on Apple products, but if you're not familiar with where it is, then it's a learning curve.  And vice versa.

Like I said, I use both. 

As for the above article, I can find plenty in the other camp.

Now...if the writers have a bias one way or the other...you can't trust them.

A lot of the hater articles on Win 8 seem to be in the mac camp.  Although some are Win 7 lovers.  And a lot of the articles fawning over Win 8 seem to be people who are hard core Windows guys, and think Apple is the enemy.

You're never going to get a real unbiased opinion.

Jeff

Getting back on topic.....Both of my computers are running Windows 8 now. I installed both from windows 7 as a digital  download. @ $40 a computer. I thought that was the best way to go. A learning curve yes, but it will be interesting to see how the apps  for the metro screen develop. Makes me want to get a Windows phone over an Android. I already found a good running tool for free that has a good training pace calc.

No touch screens in my house yet  metro apps work just fine with a mouse.

One thing I hated about Windows 7 was the program bar. It was as tiny as my pic over at the new RW  forums. The new metro bar spreads it all out so I can find stuff now.

Prince of Fatness

The Mac is ultimately easier and more intuitive.

Unless you've been using Windows for the last 20 years.  But yeah, if I had a little patience I am sure I could get used to a Mac.  But I don't.

My main gripe is that Server 2012 incorporates the same stuff as Windows 8.  I understand the deal with it being the same architecture and all, but cripes, it's a server.  I don't need all of the fancy stuff.  I just need to manage it.  Turn that crap off by default and allow me to opt in if I want.

Not at it at all. 

Unless you've been using Windows for the last 20 years.  But yeah, if I had a little patience I am sure I could get used to a Mac.  But I don't.

My main gripe is that Server 2012 incorporates the same stuff as Windows 8.  I understand the deal with it being the same architecture and all, but cripes, it's a server.  I don't need all of the fancy stuff.  I just need to manage it.  Turn that crap off by default and allow me to opt in if I want.

What do you mean?  Server 2012 has the Metro (excuse me, Modern) interface?  That's kind of silly.   (once again, dino company, we are only upgrading to 2008 now).

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

What do you mean?  Server 2012 has the Metro (excuse me, Modern) interface?  That's kind of silly.   (once again, dino company, we are only upgrading to 2008 now).

Whatever it's called, yeah.  Having not used Windows 8 yet I guess I cannot say that the interfaces are exactly the same.  But usually the server and client OS's share a lot of the bits.

We just started getting into 2012 here.  Most of our stuff is on 2008 with some 2003.  We're also just getting into migrating the desktops to 7 from XP, so I wouldn't say that you are all that far behind.

Not at it at all. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sharing a recent negative assessment: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/windows-8.html