New Law Would Force Military to Supply US Made Running Shoes (Read 259 times)

nikers85

Los Angeles, CA – 05/29/2013—If a new piece of legislation is passed, the US Military would be required to supply those entering basic training with running shoes made in the US.

Current federal law requires the Department of Defense to supply troops with American made uniforms and equipment “to the greatest extent possible”. However, currently the law has not been applied to shoes worn by recruits in basic training.

If passed, the DOD would have to purchase shoes from the New Balance company. New Balance is the only major manufacturer that makes running shoes in the United States.

zonykel

Why stop there?

Prince of Fatness

Same spammer that opened a couple of threads yesterday.

Not at it at all. 

Why stop there?

Yeah why not do something even more logical such as requiring railroads to put "no trespassing" signs near their tracks? Roll eyes

#artbydmcbride

The military supply running shoes?  I thought they just supply combat boots.

Runners run

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

PT.

mta: physical training

steph  

cincyjacket

I'm a vet and that was my experience. I was issued combat boots, but I had to buy my own running shoes.

zonykel

Now that you mention it, I think you're right. When I went to boot camp (way back in 1990), I had to bring my running shoes. Maybe things have changed (to avoid people bringing non-running shoes or just not bringing them at all).

I'm a vet and that was my experience. I was issued combat boots, but I had to buy my own running shoes.

I know the Canadian Armed Forces used to supply shoes, some old school guys are still using them  - they stopped issuing them at least 15 years ago, I think more than 20.

Black-Toe-Nailed

If they do that I will certainly try to get myself a pair from military surplus.

I bought myself a pair of Altama desert boots and I'm delighted.

If they d the same with running shoes they will certainly rock.

I am however wondering what approach they will use. I hope minimalistic and rugged!

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
                      then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
                      I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

Same spammer that opened a couple of threads yesterday.

yet we keep bumping it back up.

kids nowadays..............................combat boots for PT, you don't need no stinkin' running shoes.

Get off my porch

HaveSomeFun

Hi everyone first time poster here. I went through boot camp in 2010 and we were given an advance on our paychecks, if our drill sergeant said our running shoes were unsatisfactory we had to purchase some from supply which gave us asics at the time. Previous posters were correct in saying that combat boots were issued but not running shoes. I look forward to getting to know you all better.

This is a MAJOR improvement......When I was in the army we used to have to run wearing Combat Boots.........and then wonder why so many people had problems with their legs and feet......

Champions are made when no one is watching

#artbydmcbride

Yeah why not do something even more logical such as requiring railroads to put "no trespassing" signs near their tracks? Roll eyes

Waste of money, everybody knows to not run near railroad tracks!  A moving train could suck you under the wheels!

Runners run

jojo61397

What I find funny, is that my husband's first shirt started to bitch about the color of running shoes.  He doesn't like that they are now brightly colored.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                                Sub- 1:45 hour half.