Tibial Plateau Fracture (Read 76 times)

Ty14

I am 16 years old, and I severely fractured my tibial plateau about 5 weeks ago. I had surgery two days after the injury took place, and I am now recovering. I have been non weight bearing even since, and won't be able to bear weight for at least another 2 months. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and could suggest some ways to speed up my recovery, and ensure that I will be able to run again as soon as possible? I am also wondering what to expect when I do start running again, and how long before I will be to be back to normal?

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

These are questions for your orthopedist.

You can't "speed up recovery".  Your body will heal at its own pace.  Your ortho will let you know when it is safe to resume activities.

Your ortho will be able to give you some insight into what to expect when you are cleared for weight bearing and PT.

Tibial plateau fractures are, as you now know, significant injuries.  They are more so in teenagers as your bones are still in various stages of development.  Don't rush this.  Don't push this.  The quickest way to delay your return to activity is to try to "speed up recovery".

You're impatient and probably a little stir crazy.  I get it.  It sucks.  It's not a fun feeling.  However, listen to your doc.  Nothing you get from anonymous internet strangers aside from "listen to your doc" is going to get you anywhere.

You don't want to hear it anymore than I want to say it to you:  Be patient.  You'll get there.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Ty14

Thank you cookiemonster, you are right, these questions are better to ask my doctor. Rather than asking for advice about my own recovery, I think that I would be better asking if anyone with similar experiences would be willing to share their story¿ it's always nice to hear that other people have had similar experiences, and know that if they can do it, so can I.

Youth is on your side!     I think that one thing you can do to make sure things move along is to watch your nutrition.  Make sure you get enough Calcium and Vitamin D and protein.  You *will* get through this.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

I had a tibial plateau fracture from a skiing fall in 2007.  It wasn't severe, but it didn't heal and I had surgery. I had to be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks- crutches even to go to the bathroom at night.  I had an unloader brace which I had to wear all the time - even sleeping.  Mine healed fine.  I could aquajog after about 3 weeks, but it was scary getting around the pool deck on the crutches.  Be careful.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

SMART Approach

The only thing clinically that has been shown to speed healing of tibia fractures is tthe EXOGEN bone healing system. You need a prescription from your ortho and most private plans will approve coverage Exogen  for acute tibia fractures as it is FDA indicated to treat and accelerate healing of this fracture

Good nutrition and protein is important. I am also a huge advocate of higher doses of Vitamin D3, Vitamin K2 (MK-7) for and Magnesium. These 3 work together for good bone health and ensuring calcium gets to the bone. I am not a huge supporter of calcium supplementation bless a plant based formula. If you consume dairy and green veggies, I say no to calcium. Magnesium more important.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

The only thing clinically that has been shown to speed healing of tibia fractures is tthe EXOGEN bone healing system. You need a prescription from your ortho and most private plans will approve coverage Exogen  for acute tibia fractures as it is FDA indicated to treat and accelerate healing of this fracture

Good nutrition and protein is important. I am also a huge advocate of higher doses of Vitamin D3, Vitamin K2 (MK-7) for and Magnesium. These 3 work together for good bone health and ensuring calcium gets to the bone. I am not a huge supporter of calcium supplementation bless a plant based formula. If you consume dairy and green veggies, I say no to calcium. Magnesium more important.

From the EXOGEN website:

"EXOGEN is indicated for accelerating the time to a healed fracture for fresh, closed, posteriorly displaced distal radius fractures and fresh, closed or Grade I open tibial diaphysis fractures in skeletally mature individuals when these fractures are orthopaedically managed by closed reduction and cast immobilization. There are no known contraindications for the EXOGEN device. Safety and effectiveness have not been established for individuals lacking skeletal maturity, pregnant or nursing women, patients with cardiac pacemakers, on fractures due to bone cancer, or on patients with poor blood circulation or clotting problems. "

Based on EXOGEN's own testing and recommendations it is not an option for the OP as s/he does not have a tibial diaphysis fracture and, as a teen, is not considered to be skeletally mature.

Curious question only, do you work for the company that makes this device?

Why are you a huge advocate for the nutritional supplementation you mentioned above?  What's your background to support your advocation?  Got anything supporting the advice you're sharing?

***************************************************************************************

^^ It's the internet and it's his opinion and suggestions.  He can share it without being subject to cross examination.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

And I can ask for information in an effort to try and learn something new.  What's your problem?

SMART Approach

Thanks HS. I don't mind. I work with orthopedic surgeons on a daily basis and have been in the "bone health" arena for 14 years and do tremendous amounts of research on not only bone health but nutraceuticals including the nutrients above. I regularly consult with patients and physicians use me as a resource. I do not profit if HS goes and asks her physician for a prescription for Exogen-just trying to help and educate about something I am passionate about. Most physicians really do not have a clue about what supplements and what amounts are beneficial for patients. Every day I see docs prescribing limestone (calcium carbonate) that provides little to no benefit. Also, if you take calcium supplements you must take Vit K2 with them.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Are you an RD?  Or is this professionally guided research?  You don't profit from Exogen sales but you didn't answer if you work for the manufacturer.  Do you work for the manufacturer?  Medical sales for the device in question?

And I'll ask again if you have anything to point to to support the supplement usage you're advocating?  That's great you're a consultant.  Being a consultant is not evidence to be shared that may benefit the community at large.  Admittedly, my research is probably not as extensive as you claim yours to be.  So help a fellow forumite out.  Share the knowledge.

Yes.  I am very skeptical in general.  "Trust me.  I'm a consultant." generally doesn't fly in real life or in topic specific discussion forums.

SMART Approach

I never said "trust me". I am not a paid researcher. Please take my advice how you wish - just trying to help. Feel free Google everything I suggested - it is all out there. We all have a responsibility to do our own research whether it is on health, investments, best vacation deals, best restaurant etc.

Joann Y

Are you a salesman for Exogen? I am just curious.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

I never said "trust me". I am not a paid researcher. Please take my advice how you wish - just trying to help. Feel free Google everything I suggested - it is all out there. We all have a responsibility to do our own research whether it is on health, investments, best vacation deals, best restaurant etc.

The "trust me" was implied from your statement that you do lots of research and stating that physicians even consult you on the matter.  The rest is a cop out response. You made statements supporting a particular idea.  You made those statements based on "tremendous amounts of research".  What's the research?  If you do as much research as you claim, regardless if you're paid as a researcher or not, you know that claims made without evidence supporting the ideas are meaningless.  Do you have reputable science to back up your ideas or not?

Your questionable suggestion of EXOGEN, based on the manufacturer's own documentation that it's indicated in non-union fractures in skeletally mature individuals, certainly raised some questions and directed reading about a device with which I'm not entirely familiar.  The rest of my initial questioning was driven out of sheer curiosity.  Your unwillingness to engage in discussion on the matter, however, is suspect.  Your unwillingness to answer questions regarding your relationship with the manufacturer of the device is suspect.  Your unwillingness to back up your nutritional supplement advice with solid science is suspect.

There was no malice intended in my questioning.  Your unwillingness to engage in conversation is doing nothing to help your credibility regarding the ideas you're promoting.

SMART Approach

^^ It's the internet and it's his opinion and suggestions.  He can share it without being subject to cross examination.

Thank you again HStreet. Wow! I used to be a regular poster for years-may just have to reconsider future posting. I am not an "expert" on anything nor a physician so I am perfectly fine with you questioning my credibility - just giving a darn opinion based on what I have seen and experienced over the years. I think this is what this site is about. I don't have time to provide a bibliography. OP, please personal message me if you have questions or just want to chat.