Shoe for an overpronator? (Read 1299 times)

The young Mama Bear!

I'm sorry if this has been covered before (and several times, if that). I know I overpronate as I have flat feet and my arches fall when I land on my foot. The thing is, I don't pronate THAT much...and the shoes I wear - Brooks Addiction 6's - are like bricks. My question is: can I look at stability shoes as well as motion-control shoes? I'm looking for a new pair so I can rotate them, but I don't want a really heavy shoe like most motion control shoes tend to be. Any recommendations? Tips?
    Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
    Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
    C-R

No clue as to brand or model and wouldn't recommend one as it is too difficult a call online. However, I would say talk to some "serious" runners (not just fast but committed to the sport types) and get their opinion as to a good local running store they use. A good local store will be able to fit you and provide lots of alternative shoes. I've learned about many great local running resources this way. Running store, massage therapists and PT's that understand runners. Birds of a feather so to speak.If you don't think you know anyone like that to ask, you can always go to the local running club or clubs websites and ask there. Our Indy Runners Club was how I got started when I moved here and people were more than happy to share. Good luck

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

The young Mama Bear!

I've gotten fitted before, but the inventory wasn't extensive. I'm more asking about Stability shoes because I don't know much about them. I've read that they're more for mild overpronators (which is what I believe my foot type suggests), but I'm wondering about their pronation control. Are stability shoes meant more for a runner with a normal gait, or can mild overpronators wear them as well?
        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

Outside Lane

I thought motion control - overpronater - stability control - all meant pretty much the same thing? +1 on talking to the experts at good local running store. Make sure it's a store that sells more than 1 brand! When I went to a good running shoe store, they recommended Saucony Omni Grid 5 - and I have purchased them for a few years. They feel great (not like a brick at all - I am flat footed too). I don't think they market them anymore though - so I am sure I will have to change to something else the next time I get shoes...

See how they run...

The young Mama Bear!

I thought motion control - overpronater - stability control - all meant pretty much the same thing? +1 on talking to the experts at good local running store. Make sure it's a store that sells more than 1 brand! When I went to a good running shoe store, they recommended Saucony Omni Grid 5 - and I have purchased them for a few years. They feel great (not like a brick at all - I am flat footed too). I don't think they market them anymore though - so I am sure I will have to change to something else the next time I get shoes...
            See, I don't know...that's why I'm asking. I want a lighter shoe that has a bit of pronation control, but not necessarily a shoe that'll be like a rock because it's made for a foot that does some sort of crazy inward tilt! I understand being fitted, and I have...but again, the store had multiple brands but not many models. I was just wondering if a Stability shoe would still be okay for a mild overpronator like myself. Wink

Old, Slow, Happy

I wear the Brooks Beast. I am a severe over-pronater. I tried several other brands of motion-control shoes and like these the best by far. I have considered buying a stability shoe for the same reasons as you state. I am just so comfortable with the Beasts that I don't change. I try other shows now and then, but always come back to the Beasts. I suggest that you try a pair from another manufacturer. I am always tempted to try Asics shoes. They seem lighter than the Brooks. The last time I tried them, I bought my regular Brooks size and needed a 1/2 larger in the Asics. They damaged my big toe so I gave them away and haven't tried the larger size yet. That's a whole bunch of crap just to say--keep trying until you find what you like.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If your overpronation is just mild, then a stability shoe is where you'd want to be. Motion control are generally for those who overpronate severely. The main difference between stability and MC is degree. MC shoes offer the highest levels of stability...it's sort of a line that goes about like this in terms of control: neutral < guidance="" />< stability="" />< mc guidance is kind of a newer category...shoes that aren't quite neutral, but only have the smallest medial posts (usually a gray wedge of denser foam on the inside arch area of a shoe midsole). clear as mud? mc="" guidance="" is="" kind="" of="" a="" newer="" category...shoes="" that="" aren't="" quite="" neutral,="" but="" only="" have="" the="" smallest="" medial="" posts="" (usually="" a="" gray="" wedge="" of="" denser="" foam="" on="" the="" inside="" arch="" area="" of="" a="" shoe="" midsole).="" clear="" as=""></ mc guidance is kind of a newer category...shoes that aren't quite neutral, but only have the smallest medial posts (usually a gray wedge of denser foam on the inside arch area of a shoe midsole). clear as mud?>

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Outside Lane

Thanks Zoomie - that little equation graphic helped me understand.... I did a web search on the shoe I use and I found this (not trying to sell here - just seeing that this reinforces Zoomie's point): The Saucony Grid Omni 5 running shoe covers a range of stability needs while offering an unsurpassed fit. Visible rearfoot Grid™ System. Forefoot HRC™, SRC Impact Zone, midfoot support bridge. XT-900™, XT-1200™, b/cR outsole. Uses a responsive EVA base with a firm, stabilizing second density post for mild pronators who want a light, flexible and stable ride. Wt. 11.8 oz. stability = mild pronator and note "light and flexible" Goddess9 - hopefully this all convinces you to at least try a stability shoe.... Good luck!

See how they run...

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks, guys! I knew you all could help me. I'll go toy a new running store and see if I like the stability shoes they've got. Smile
                      Thanks, guys! I knew you all could help me. I'll go toy a new running store and see if I like the stability shoes they've got. Smile
                      Just one other thing to try while at the store. I am a mild overpronator too but my ankles, knees and hips stay neutral. It's a low arch thing. Stability shoes were too much support and absolutely felt like bricks. I ended up with shin splints from them. My solution was a lightweight neutral trainer with Superfeet Green arch supports in them. I run in both ASICS Landreths and Fortitudes. Landreths are a bit lighter while the Fortitudes are a bit wider and a bit more stable. Not that this will work for you but it's another thing you can experiment with at the running store. The Superfeet Greens have been a Godsend to me. I no longer have shin splints.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

Just want to wish you the best of luck goddess! Those Brooks babies are like little anvils, I agree. (You might remember, I was mis-led into thinking I needed them, knee pain, yada yada.) If a lighter stability shoe will work for you, you're going to feel like you're running on air!
                        ~ Fly ~
                        Only as much as I dream can I be.
                        veggies on the run

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks, Maplefly! I'm looking at new shoes as we speak. Smile Um, I just checked the wear patterns of my flats...and the outer part of the heel is almost gone! It's kinda scary, actually. It's worn down on the outside heel and outside of the ball of both feet. I know that's a sign of supination, but I also know that supination in flat feet is a sign of an overpronator. I'm so confused! I'm going over to Philadelphia Runner in a week or two to get reassessed. Is it possible to be flat-footed and wear out the insides of your shoes?
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just one other thing to try while at the store. I am a mild overpronator too but my ankles, knees and hips stay neutral. It's a low arch thing. Stability shoes were too much support and absolutely felt like bricks. I ended up with shin splints from them. My solution was a lightweight neutral trainer with Superfeet Green arch supports in them. I run in both ASICS Landreths and Fortitudes. Landreths are a bit lighter while the Fortitudes are a bit wider and a bit more stable. Not that this will work for you but it's another thing you can experiment with at the running store. The Superfeet Greens have been a Godsend to me. I no longer have shin splints.
                            I may have to try something like this. I am at wit's end. I have knee problems that I believe are in part from wearing a mild stability, lightweight performance trainer (NB 903)...my feet are absolutely in love with the shoes, but my right knee needs more control. So I moved to a moderate stability shoe (Mizuno Wave Inspire 4) and my knee is very happy...but my left foot could not be more angry--on the outside edge. Right foot is not particularly thrilled, either. So it may be back to the 903s and NB 826 (neutral performance trainer) with the addition of some sort of stabilizing insole.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay