Race give aways, Like them or hate them? (Read 777 times)

vegefrog

And I'm frustrated with Little Rock's dinner plate-sized medal this year.

That thing is HUGE!!!!! Hey, LR doesn't have too much going for it so they are just a little over-exuberant about the 10th year anniversary! LOL!

That's where I'm from originally. No way I'm tackling that course! Good luck to you even if you don't like the medal Smile

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

One comment about race shirts: it would be nice if some aesthetic considerations are made.  The last few shirts offered had huge screen-prints on the front.  These make them rather uncomfortable to wear, even just around town. I'm sure you know the type -- feels like a big dessicated fruit-rollup on your chest.

Instead, how about a small emblem on the left chest and sponsors on the back.  Maybe a slogan or race marquee. 

Above all, make the surface area of the inks on the shirt something that you wouldn't mind sweating in.  Eventually these shirts become pick-up game jerseys, or yard-work uniforms.  It's terrible when the decals stick to you.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Speaking of shirts, I am really, really happy to pay 25 bucks for technical shirt (especially long-sleeved!),  besides getting to race. 

Most 5k organizers do not give out technical shirts.  You can't blame them.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Why is it sideways?

One thing that we all need is more crap to put in our closets, that's all I know.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/ -- No gimicks, no give-aways, no fees.  Just races.

When does it arrive in the USA?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

wbudde

My favorite - I have run a Thanksgiving race the last couple of years that gives out a bottle of wine to all finishers 21 or older.

Oh roo roooo!

It's really not.  We put a register by X to be guaranteed a shirt, in reality order at Y and order a selection of extra.   in the area in the race data where shirt size normally goes is a blank for no shirt.  Extra shirts are sold at race day - by now most of our RD's have a decent feel for it.  We end up ordering a few extra but charging a bit more than cost if you want it.  Quite frankly packet pickup is easier because we have fewer shirts to deal with and fewer "ooooh this is smaller/bigger than I expected".  And since we order a small overage we usually CAN trade out without screwing late arrivals.

Since it's NOT an issue, I do wish more races would do this too!  I would be way more likely to run a 5K or 10K if it was only $10 or $15. 

RACC puts on a winter series in my area and they have a no-shirt option but it doesn't get you a reduced price, just a "bigger donation to the RACC fund."  I am not a huge fan of doing a race b/c of the associated charity, as I'm certain that much more of my $$ would go to the actual cause if I simply wrote them a check and skipped the race, so this isn't much of a draw for me.

Along those lines, -has anyone looked into the "Dirty Girl" runs?  My sister-in-law is doing this "b/c it's for the Breast Cancer Foundation!"  She was trying to explain to me why an untimed 5K w/mudholes should cost $75....Yeah, of her $75 entry fee, less than $3 goes to the charity (and to their credit, the race site does list the information on what % is donated to the charity, no attempt to hide it). 

Oh roo roooo!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My favorite - I have run a Thanksgiving race the last couple of years that gives out a bottle of wine to all finishers 21 or older.

They should rank the wine by quality with the finest going to the first.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

They should rank the wine by quality with the finest going to the first.

Or just put them on a table and let people come up to choose based on finish order. I've done some races where awards are done like that.

Except then what really matters is in what order they do the age groups, because they don't actually call by finish order, but by position in age groups -- so actually everything revolves around what order they decide to call the age groups.

I've seen awards with two tables (of stuff from which you choose) -- one table for AG winners, and one table for AG 2nd & 3rd placers.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Or just put them on a table and let people come up to choose based on finish order. I've done some races where awards are done like that....

That would work.  I was picturing the winners (not me) grabbing the wine as they cross the finish line.  Gun timed and not AG.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Exhausted, near-nauseous runners chugging wine in the chute. What could go wrong?

First thing that comes to mind as to what could go wrong, would be forgetting to have a videocam rolling to capture everything that happens.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Exhausted, near-nauseous runners chugging wine in the chute. What could go wrong?

First thing that comes to mind as to what could go wrong, would be forgetting to have a videocam rolling to capture everything that happens.

That would be awesome.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

There's a race I do every year that you have to pay for the shirt if you want it. ($17 and it's a nice tech shirt that is available in both men's and women's sizes). There's another race by a different running club that I've signed up for that is the same deal; I can't buy a decent tech shirt here for under $20.  For the few races I do that offer shirts, it's nice to have the option of a shirt that isn't going to be too big.  We all know unisex really means mens.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Like: good swag, such as that Tiffany's necklace as finishers' medal handed to me by a fireman dressed in a tux at the 2008 Nike Women's Marathon in San Fran. Or 5-Hour Energy. Or quality power bars. Hate: most everything else. Eunice