cheapknockoffs.com (Read 4718 times)

eric :)

It's been a while since I've contributed to this forum (aka my rather informal blog). Rather than replying to comments on another thread, I figure I'll start a new one here. I have a lot of gripes about life. It's not a big surprise because I am labeled the most negative person at work. However, these gripes are usually caused by what I deem as injustices. Most things, like global warming, famine, and modern day slavery I really can't do much about on a global level. There are other things that I can make a difference. Here's a little background. My mother is in the fashion industry. Don't ask me what she does because I wouldn't know. All I know is that the shirt or skirt you buy at Walmart or Macy's takes a lot of man power to produce from concept to the finish product. I also know how much it costs the factory to produce each article of clothing and it's not much. My gripe on this particular subject is that it is absolutely highway robbery that brand X charges $50 or even $80 for a long sleeve technical shirt. Granted the material could be costly, but it's not like it's weaved with gold threads. I joked with some of my friends that I would create a sister site called cheapknockoffs.com (I'm sure that name has been taken) and sell quality running and cycling clothes at a reasonable price. They will be manufactured for this purpose rather than selling existing brands at a lower price. My mother is keenly interested in this idea and had been bugging me about putting up such a store on my site. My answer to her was I'll get to that eventually, when the site has enough members to make it worth while. I don't know how many members I would need in order to sustain such an investment. Unlike a website, there will be tangible assessments. I'm throwing the idea out here because you mentioned that you would be interested in something like this. I don't have a time frame for this because it's only an idea right now. If I can produce this, what kind of clothes are you interested in? In the mean time, I'm going to find out exactly how much it would cost to make one of these shirts.
    dillydoodles

That's an awesome idea Eric. It really burns me to pay full retail for running wear. I'm lucky to live in an area that has a factory outlet mall, which includes both a Reebok Factory Outlet and a Nike Factory Store. I've purchased some great clothing by shopping for off-season and clear out merchandise. Not seconds, high quality at cheap prices (example $50.00 shirts for $13.99). I still tend to buy my running shoes at my favourite specialty running shop but even there I get 15% off :-) I'd love to buy a pair of black tights suitable to wear in the winter, breathable, but warm. And I can never have enough short-sleeved white technical shirts for the warmer weather. Ooooh, and can can you make some cheapknockoff running socks? Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll do it well. Good luck. ~ Arlene
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2 words: RUNNING SKIRTS!!! I'm SO not kidding! Eric, that is a truly fantastic idea! And I don't think you are negative. Negative people don't have cute smilies after their names! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Sluggard

I am very interested. I've run with a cotton t-shirt as my base layer since I first attempted to form a running habit. [Was I 6 or 7?] Then, when I started up again last year, I started looking for "gear" to make the unpleasantness of running less so. But I, like so many other people, was totally put off by the prices. There was no way in heck I was going to pay $25 or more for a t-shirt that I was just going to saturate with various vile fluids from my upper body. Then I found a technical t-shirt on clearance at Wal-Mart or Target for $7 and bought two. It was instantly sold on the merits of technical fabrics, and when they are clean, I always reach for one of my two pairs of tech-T shirts when I go running. So now, I am in winter, and I want to get a long sleeve tech-T, but again, I don't want to pay $40+. I want to get a fleece outer shell, and I would love to get some pants as well. But if I went to my local running store to get it, I would easily be paying at least $100 for a full winter ensemble. Dead I cannot afford that, so I will be checking out the clearance racks at the local Big Box stores. So right now I would say that I am in the market for winter threads: long sleeve tech-Ts, shells, jackets, and pants and/or tights. As for other items, I don't know if I need anything. I don't need a $25 pair of fancy running gloves when the pair of $1 brown jersey gloves from the gas station work great for keeping my hands warm and wiping my nose. Dead I don't need a fancy stocking cap because the el cheapo one I use works fine. Another thing I would buy is reasonably priced running socks. The cotton ones I buy by the bushel at Sam's Club work fine for me right now, but I am intending to increase my distances. I don't want blisters if there's anything to be done about it, and I know good socks help. My bottom line is that I don't like the idea of paying through the nose for clothing I am going to make filthy and smelly within 10 minutes of putting on. I'll pay the premium for a nice business suit. I'll even pay what they're asking for a good pair of running shoes. But compression shorts? T-shirts? Last thing and I will shut up. I don't mind if these things look generic. If I can save 20% by leaving off the flashes and swoops and fancy colors, then I will gladly do so. Reflective fabric is worth paying for, but I'm not a big fashion guy. I don't care what I look like to people when I am sweating like a pig.
            i agree with everybody
            Wingz

Professional Noob

Long spandex-type shorts (these don't ride up)!!! With at least 1 zipper pocket so I can tuck my keys safely away and not have to either carry them in my hands or tote along a fanny pack. That's what I keep looking for and haven't found. Small zipper pockets on long spandex shorts. Long- and short-sleeved technical shirts with a "RunningAHEAD" logo on them would go over well too! Big grin Preferably blue.

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Long- and short-sleeved technical shirts with a "RunningAHEAD" logo on them would go over well too! Big grin Preferably blue.
                I would be very happy to pay to advertise this site. I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment, either. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Eric, Couple thoughts.... First, I love the idea of you selling clothes. Technical or non-technical, doesn't matter to me. Second, you should look into something like what runningbanana.com does. They can actually put whatever you want on a technical shirt. Personally, I think it would be cool to advertise RA at events and such. Third, on another board I belong to, there's a guy who makes and sells t-shirts and such out of his home. He comes up with all the graphics and sayings, and actually makes the stuff (has the equipment and everything). If someone reminds me, I'll look up the guy and send his info your way.
                    2 words: RUNNING SKIRTS!!!
                    Ditto! I'm such a bargain shopper that I'd be in the market for everything! I just bought a $50 Under Armour shirt and I about keeled over when paying for it! The running skirts aren't cheap either- $70 all the way to about $30 on sale, but the norm is $50-$70. For a skirt!! Oh yeah- clarification. Skirts with the shorts under 'em! Some may prefer the undies, but I would be in the market for shorts. And I would be MORE than happy to wear it with the site's logo on it!! Smile
                      Love the idea! Techical running short sleeves, I agree, are needed. Also, running shorts like Nike Tempo Track short (where it's higher on the side of the leg). Im always looking for running shorts...like right now I can't find any at all. It's like winter comes and everybody forgets that some of us run in gyms. Ugh. Smile Wish you the best on your endeavor!
                      Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ditto! I'm such a bargain shopper that I'd be in the market for everything!
                        Are you a TJ Maxx gal, too? We could totally do a shopping trip...like, OMG! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

awesome idea for the tech-T long and short-sleeve, ditto on the running shorts...although i would gladly pay a little bit more for a little color and a little style Cool in addition to comfort and functionality to retain some individuality, even if they will mostly be drenched with sweat (and i'm a sweaty boy).
                            I agree with everyone! Can I ask that you ship to the UK too?? I'd hate to get my hopes up and then not be able to get my hands on the kit Cry
                            "Tough times don't last but tough people do." - A.C. Green
                            RunningHammer

ditto to what vicki said....or would shipping costs to the UK make it unviable?
                                Well, I'd say there is considerable interest. I am a bit of a gear whore - always looking for new stuff. T-shirts, long-sleeve t's, shorts and socks - to start. You already have a dedicated and loyal following. You should trademark the names (cheapknockoff.com; runningahead.com) and get it done. I'd buy the stuff... plus, if we all wear it to local races, at our respective group runs, etc. word will travel fast. I know our club orders shirts every year, and would consider a reputable, quality, low-cost supplier.