Are you a "dog" (social) or "cat" (I run by myself) runner? (Read 314 times)

will run for popsicles

cat. and i hate taking baths too.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Interesting that thus far most votes are for solo running.  I guess the misleading thing, as pointed out earlier is that some of this result might be out of necessity than preference.  Trying to fit running around work/school/family *and* being able to hook up with groups consistently can be difficult to schedule for many people.

Well, at the risk of sharing too much info about what a self-centered person I am, I really do prefer to run alone; it's not out of necessity but out of preference.  Every now and then it's fun to run with others, say if I'm on vacation with family and we are organizing a group activity. But everyday running is better for me by myself. I get to zone out and just relax or focus on my pace and the conditions, both of which are hard to do while chatting or worrying about someone else's pace. I typically have a route and pace in mind when I start, but I like to have  the freedom to change the plan if I'm feeling sluggish or extra peppy.

So I guess that makes me a cat, but I have to say, my cats mostly sit around the house sleeping. I did try running with my dog and it was even more frustrating than running with other people -- I mean he HAD to stop and sniff every 100 yards!

And like another poster, I like to cycle with others so I'm not completely antisocial (and they come in handy if you have to change a flat tire).

SubDood

Interesting that thus far most votes are for solo running.  I guess the misleading thing, as pointed out earlier is that some of this result might be out of necessity than preference.  Trying to fit running around work/school/family *and* being able to hook up with groups consistently can be difficult to schedule for many people.

Out of necessity, I usually run alone, which is presumably "cat-like." I really enjoyed running with others on the few occasions that I've gotten to do so, which is presumably "dog-like." But my dog is a loner -- hates other dogs. Our 4 cats, on the other hand, race around in a pack and love to play with each other (and gang up to tease the poor dog). So I'm a little confused by the question -- hence, equal parts woof and meow.

NHLA

Cat mostly because its easy.

I do have a group of great runners I train with but they start too early.

TripleBock

I would have to punch you if you called me a cat-person.  I am a run by myself person ...

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

In the beginning when I began running in 2010 it was more bark than anything, then slowly over time it has become more meow. The only time I probably run with groups is during races, running with someone kind of pressures me to talk, and I like being out there by myself and enjoying my only me time. Plus with my schedule it is just harder to try and get with others to run, and I get to run whenever I want/can rather than waiting on someone else Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

In the beginning when I began running in 2010 it was more bark than anything, then slowly over time it has become more meow. The only time I probably run with groups is during races, running with someone kind of pressures me to talk, and I like being out there by myself and enjoying my only me time. Plus with my schedule it is just harder to try and get with others to run, and I get to run whenever I want/can rather than waiting on someone else Smile

I was gonna say, I'm generally a cat except for hunt days, when I love running in a pack of a few thousand hounds chasing the fox.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Is the fox the finish?

If we're going to get weird like this, I'd much rather consider it a wolf pack chasing deer Joking

I was gonna say, I'm generally a cat except for hunt days, when I love running in a pack of a few thousand hounds chasing the fox.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Cat, but I miss the high school cross country days when I was a full pack dog with the XC team.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Is the fox the finish?

If we're going to get weird like this, I'd much rather consider it a wolf pack chasing deer Joking

I didn't think it was too weird. At least I didn't try to use a skunk metaphor.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Where did I see that about a skunk?? Oh yeah on AOL last week there was a link saying Can a Skunk Help you Lose Weight? I didn't click on it, but I thought "hell yeah, by running away from it!".

I didn't think it was too weird. At least I didn't try to use a skunk metaphor.

PRs

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I dislike cats.They're relatively indoor creatures. I run alone outdoors, but will not vote as cat. I'll pet friendly dogs and an occasional dog will run with me.

Have you  ever heard about  a runner being chased by a cat? Baxter does not care much for humans. Cat out of necessity. Active running club member for 23 years.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

(Meow) What I really would be best at is lying in front of the wood stove in a cushy bed- that's what our cat does most of the time these days- quite inspiring.

A cat.  I live in a small town and no one else is crazy enough to go run at 5AM when it's below zero.  Take away races and I can count the number of times I have run with someone in the past 20 years on two hands.

lesliel

spam