Wellbutrin vs Celexa (Read 6432 times)

My Doc switched me from Celexa 10mg to Wellbutrin 100mg 2 x per day. One of the reasons for the switch was that I have gained 12 lbs on Celexa or the last 2 years in spite of training for a marathon and several 1/2s. Has anyone had experience with Wellbutrin and running. How did it affect weight? I have read that it can actually help with weight loss. How has it affected running? Thanks
    obiebyke

I took Wellbutrin for a while, but I've never taken Celexa, so I don't know what the comparison would look like. But Wellbutrin was really speedy for me. I absolutely had more energy, so you may see your mileage go up, but make sure you're not going faster just from being drugged! And yes, it's definitely an appetite suppresant. Careful about that, too.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Make sure when you run, you drink plenty of water and sports fluids on wellbutrin. It can increase the likelihood of seizures (very, very slightly) and I know this can be a problem in patients with bulemia if their salts get really off from vomitting too much. (Note, its pretty rare even in these cases! But you should be aware.) If it doesnt work, you could try lexapro instead of celexa - its a very, very similar drug (the daughter of celexa), but is a bit more specific than celexa and can be a little better for side effects.
        obiebyke

I echo Abba. I stopped taking the Wellbutrin because it made me anxious, and now I take Lexapro and Cymbalta, and that works really well at doing the same thing-- antidepressant plus a little bit of energy from hitting the norepinephrine receptors as well as the serotonin.

finney

Resident pinniped

I took Wellbutrin to stop smoking, and it made me clinically manic (I've never taken it or any other antidepressant for depression). I literally did not sleep in 3 days. Not one minute of sleep in 72 hours, and I could have kept going. I also developed tics and other symptoms that I don't care to go into in mixed company. Contrary to what others mention, I ate all the time. I think that was part of the manic thing though. For me, the stuff was poison. I hope you have better luck with it.
              Wellbutrin seems to impact heat tolerance. The doctors will deny it, but just be aware of this. You will feel like shit when you run in hot weather (more than you normally do). Cymbalta has horrible withdrawal symptoms, and I really think the jury is out on all of these drugs. Lexapro is the best overall on the market with the fewest side effects. Stick with as low a dose of any of them as you can possible handle.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

obiebyke

You're right. Cymbalta does have horrible withdrawal symptoms. That's why you take it every day at about the same time, and if you're going to stop taking it, taper slowly. The jury is definitely still out on all of these drugs. But I can say that, when I take drug vacations, I turn from a normal person into a panic machine who can't leave the house. They're a life saver when used right.