Looking for a Northern Mid-West Spring Marathon (Read 151 times)

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

So, I just moved off the East coast, and am now enjoying deep-dish pizza and hotdogs covered with salad.  I'm also in the process of researching Eskimo running attire.

What marathons are popular for the Spring in the Northern Mid-West?  Primary requirement is cool weather (35-45 is perfect).  April or May is the right timing.  Major hills would be an issue due to lack of training hills on the shore of Lake Michigan.

Locally someone has mentioned the Illinois Marathon (April 15th) is popular.  Temp looks okay, I guess.  I've never heard of this event.

Grandma's Marathon seems popular, but too hot for me (55-65 avgs)

Flying Pig also looks a little warm.

Wondering if there are other popular options you guys might recommend.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

runlikeagirI

How about Fargo? http://www.fargomarathon.com

Well the one nice thing about most everything within a day's drive is that it's likely to be flat.

A lot of people seem to like Bayshore (Traverse City, MI). Late May so potential to be a bit warm, although that time of year is often still winter up there.

If you like cold, Martian (Dearborn, MI) is a good bet, it's pretty early in the season. I've done it & there's not much scenery, but otherwise fine. (And cool medals, FWIW.)

I am looking at doing Toledo next spring.

Dave

Slo

The Illinois Marathon is a good one. Very nice route.

My personal favorite is the Cellcom Green Bay Marathon.

There is also the Mad City Marathon in Madision I think they call it the Madison Marathon now. Memorial weekend

Grandma's is probably one of the better known upper midwest marathons but it's a little out of your April - May time frame. If you are considering one that late there is a RA Masters meetup at the Charlevoix Marathon in MI

Kalsarikännit

There is also the Mad City Marathon in Madision I think they call it the Madison Marathon now. Memorial weekend

I think they have changed that after they cancelled the race three times in six years due to heat.

MTA:  I liked the Colorado and Yakima River Canyon marathons.  Not Midwest, I know.  A lot of people around here run the Wisconsin (Kenosha) Marathon. It is nothing exciting, but it is a well run race and I enjoyed it.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

C-R

Carmel marathon just north if Indy in April is really good.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Carmel marathon just north if Indy in April is really good.

I second this!

swb

Derby Festival in Louisville is a good race, but late April, so sometimes warm. I haven't done Flying Pig, but it's is hilly.

Www. Derbyfestivalmarathon.com

I think they have changed that after they cancelled the race three times in six years due to heat.

MTA:  I liked the Colorado and Yakima River Canyon marathons.  Not Midwest, I know.  A lot of people around here run the Wisconsin (Kenosha) Marathon. It is nothing exciting, but it is a well run race and I enjoyed it.

Yep, Madison is in November now. Last weekend was their inaugural fall race.

SubDood

I haven't run it yet, but the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon might fit the bill. (The "trail" is a paved bike trail.) Early May (around the 10th) in northern Minnesota. Small, only about 300 runners. Should be fairly cool. It says "flat and fast" on their website. A sub-3 might put you in the top 10.

I did Grandma's in 2013, and it was very cool that year (low 40's and drizzle). Definitely not warm that year. Hard to predict weather in Duluth in June, though. Very nicely run event. 10,000 or so runners.

spinach

I second the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon, although it is not in northern Minnesota.  Central Minnesota. It is the same day as Fargo next year, May 9.  I think it is greatly organized and is the fastest course I have run.  Flat along a paved trail along a former railroad track.  Last year we had a strong head wind but every other year had a strong tail wind the whole way.  I am a bit prejudiced in that the race is put on by people in my running club, but Sharon, the race director is extremely well organized and has everything under control and well prepared for the race.

The one thing that may make the race difficult is that is along a paved trail that is not well accessed except at several well spaced places, so there is very little spectators for most of the course, and the last 3 miles of the route is perfectly straight and perfectly flat.  When I ran it the first year, there was no one around me, the winner was 15 minutes ahead of me and third place was 15 minutes behind me, and the flat straight finish after 23 miles made me feel like I was not making any progress.  After that I frequently run the last six miles to get to know every tree and feel more comfortable finishing.

It is a great race, I highly recommend it.

spinach

Fargo is also a great marathon, one of my favorites.  I have would run it this year if it wasn't the same day as Wobegon.  I will say that I have run both Fargo and Wobegon in the snow.  It was snowing one year in Fargo during the race and another year it had snowed the night before Wobegon. Fargo is as flat a place as exists on the Earth but it has quite strong winds.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, one of my friends had high praise for Fargo.

My personal favorite is the Cellcom Green Bay Marathon.

+1  Nice flat course, a Boston qualifier. Lots of crowd support and if you're a football fan, you get to run through Lambeau Field.  They've had issues with heat a few years, but last year was perfect. Beer and brats at the finish line.

northernman

Fight The Future

I also second the Lake Wobegon. Terrific marathon.