Look What My Fiancee Can Do! (Read 2192 times)

Scout7

Two broken legs? Well, I'll just stretch a little, take an extra GU, maybe insert a few walk breaks. Legs ripped of by a bear? Well, I'll lay off the hill work for a couple weeks and work on my base. Nuclear war breaksout? The first question - what's the best hydration strategy for running through the fallout? Runners. Frickin' runners, in fact. And they're all over this place. More threads than I can count where the first and last question is - how do I get back to running? Seriously. How many threads follow this pattern: "Hey, it's perpetually dark outside .... or there is a local pack of man-eating pit bulls ... or I've got a collapsed lung .... now, how do go running?"
    For the broken or missing legs, ya flip up on your hands. Nuclear war requires a chemical suit, and a protective mask. The mask has a straw to connect to the canteen. Perpetually dark? Couple flashlights. Maybe. The pit-bulls......Fill a water bottle with cayenne pepper, vinegar and water. Works almost every time.
      I have to dissagree with you a bit Jake (at least where I am concerned lol). I consider myself a runner. I can't imagine my life not being able to run. HOWEVER there are times when I do take a week or so off BUT ONLY cause if I don't I could cause further damage to my spine that would make it impossible for me to run ever again! I mean anybody who runs with a disc that's impinging the spinal cord MUST LOVE to run ( gawd knows I don't need to lose any weight or attract any chics.) I love it as much as I love lifting weights. It's in my blood! On another forum I have people asking me if what I'm doing is good for my body since my bf is so low. I GUARENTEE you this, if they came up with a skinny pill I'd not bother with it. I doubt it could give me the rush I feel after a NICE LONG RUN!!! I don't know about anyone else, but I just don't feel good if I haven't gotten a good run in. Something about my runs ( even short runs) that make me feel like I can now start my day.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

JakeKnight

More gratuitous bragging: Not only has my honey now lost a whopping 30.6 pounds in the last six months, she also went running with me this morning on a short tour of the final part of Trent's Trot of Torture (copyright reserved on that phrase). Actually we did the first two miles and the last two or so. Lots of hills. A few flying monkeys. One runaway horse. And in all those hills, we walked exactly once, and for about a minute ... and then she was the one who wanted to run. I thought we were going for a stroll. Who knew?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

good for her, let her know that times on treadmills are a whole lot slower than on the road or track

"Our workouts are longer than our shorts" SHS XC 2008

JakeKnight

good for her, let her know that times on treadmills are a whole lot slower than on the road or track
            So I've heard ... I'm really looking forward to seeing how she does in her next real 5-k! And now some more entirely boring bragging: I'm sitting here waiting for the call from her Weight Watcher's meeting to find out how much she lost. If it's more than I pound, I get to buy her a pedicure. (Maybe I should rethink this betting thing). She's now lost so much weight that she's pulling out all the high school and college outfits and trying them on. Which is apparently like Christmas for her - since she's suddenly got 10 times as much clothing to wear, and most of its stylish and expensive stuff. (Good for me, too ... I don' t have to buy her new clothes!). She even walked around the house in a bikini the other day. And looked pretty damn good. But it's the running that really gets me all watery-eyed with pride. I walked by the guest room yesterday morning and saw her on the dreadmill, with the incline cranked up higher than I though possible. As in, it looked like she needed a rope and some climbing gear. She had the thing maxed and she was flying. Even by the dreadmill clock, she's now dropped at least 7 minutes off her 5-k time from May. Best part is ... she's on her way to full-fledged running addict status. Still not there yet. We talked about it, and she agrees. Buuuuut .... the other day, she came home from work and said: "Hey, if I'm driving along and see a lonely stretch of road, and the first thing that pops in my mind is 'wow, it'd be nice to run there' ... does that mean I'm becoming a runner?" At which point I cackled madly and rubbed my hands together with glee. Her journey to the dark side is almost complete. Mwa ha ha ha.

JakeKnight

She's off to her pedicure. Another 1.6 pounds this week. I just had a disturbing thought: what do I do if she ends up running faster than me? After all, I'm not exactly Speedy Gonzales. Or his cousin, Medium-Fast Gonzales. More like his third-cousin, twice-removed, Slowly Plodding Gonzales. And she's got ten years on me. And used to be a national level gymnast. Oops. This could be trouble.

Wingz

Professional Noob

See what you've started? Evil grin Big grin Congrats to her, and tell her I said "Keep up the good work!"

Roads were made for journeys...

You'll ruin your knees!

She's off to her pedicure. Another 1.6 pounds this week. I just had a disturbing thought: what do I do if she ends up running faster than me? After all, I'm not exactly Speedy Gonzales. Or his cousin, Medium-Fast Gonzales. More like his third-cousin, twice-removed, Slowly Plodding Gonzales. And she's got ten years on me. And used to be a national level gymnast. Oops. This could be trouble.
                  Or how about this, She finishes a race in the not-too-distant future. While waiting for you to complete the same race, she meets the 25-29 male age group winner. Once you cross the finish line and find her laughing/talking with him, she introduces you as her uhm, "running coach"... Nah, it'll never happen! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Now that's just mean, Lynn! Take it over to the fight thread, eh? Tongue

Just had to open this thread thinking I might find something really creative my wife could do in her running shoes other than run. Boy was I dissappointed!

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

JakeKnight

Or how about this, She finishes a race in the not-too-distant future. While waiting for you to complete the same race, she meets the 25-29 male age group winner. Once you cross the finish line and find her laughing/talking with him, she introduces you as her uhm, "running coach"...
                        Hmmm. I clearly didn't think this through. Then again "running coach" isn't the worst I've been called. She was once teaching at this youth camp sort of thing, and when I pulled up to pick her up, one of these tough inner city punks said - "who's that?" She said, "My boyfriend." To which the aforementioned punk replied with the honesty that only kids have: "That ain't your boyfriend ... that's your Dad!" I still haven't heard the last of that one.
                        Just had to open this thread thinking I might find something really creative my wife could do in her running shoes other than run. Boy was I dissappointed!
                        Wink Just remember - no trail shoes. Ouch! ----------------------------- By the way, I just learned that my girl has actually been logging all her runs for months, and I didn't have a clue. One of these days I'm going to sign her up here against her will and enter all her runs, just for the helluva it.

Wingz

Professional Noob

By the way, I just learned that my girl has actually been logging all her runs for months, and I didn't have a clue. One of these days I'm going to sign her up here against her will and enter all her runs, just for the helluva it.
                          Sounds like your "girl" has a mind of her own. And... for months... probably would have fit your definition of a "runner" by the way... ::smirk::

JakeKnight

::smirk::
                            Note to Zoom: Wingz needs a "smirk" emoticon. Help out a homie.

JakeKnight

Sounds like your "girl" has a mind of her own. And... for months... probably would have fit your definition of a "runner" by the way... ::smirk::
                              Which reminds me .... on Sunday, the Commander-in-Chief made me stay home and clean the garage while she went out and ran 6 miles, her longest yet! Sorry. Just bragging. I'm so proud. Carry on.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Note to Zoom: Wingz needs a "smirk" emoticon. Help out a homie.
                                Ha, I have a project for the week! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay