Shown up! (Read 160 times)

joescott

Well, in spite of my geezerliness, I’ve been one of the fastest guys here at the office for quite some time now (beaten occasionally now and then by a co-worker, however), but a 20-something young buck recently graduated from the University of Illinois, where he apparently ran for a couple of his years, just swaggered into my office to introduce himself and his 8:48 3000-meter PR.  God’s gift to keep me appropriately humbled. A man’s ego needs a good smackdown now and again!  :-)

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

bhearn

Yeah, but what's his marathon time?

joescott

Ha, he doesn't have one yet, but claims a 1:12 half, so....

He introduced himself as a "young fast guy".  So, unfortunately I took the bait and asked him, "how young and how fast?"  I knew better.  But before I could say anything else he was spittin' out PRs.  It's funny, my office mate was eavesdropping just a bit and she thought it was pretty clear that the whole purpose of his stopping by was to pee on my fire hydrant.  (OK, she didn't put it quite like that, but that was the point).  It's all pretty funny really.

- Joe

funny story joe!

That young buck better hope that in about 5 years a couple more runners from Illinois don't come and work there. Univ of Illinois just signed the top two runners from Illinois (Jesse Reiser and Zach Dale), and they're both sub 9 for 3200 (last spring that is).

joescott

Yeah, really, Tom!  You know as I thought about the conversation a bit later, I realized that the son of a good friend of mine (in Iowa) blows him out of the water with a sub-9 3200 and 4:04 mile -- last spring as a senior in high school.  There's always a bigger fish.  ;-)

- Joe

bhearn

There's also always age-graded performances.

joescott

There's also always age-graded performances.

Yes, sir!! 

- Joe